You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/17/2012 10:40 am  #1

Blues Quest for Greatness -- Chapter 43 -- "Ken Hitchcock Presents"

I would have never believed that a coach could have such a dramatic influence on a hockey team. I certainly understand that adding a center like Sidney Crosby makes your #1 center your #2, making that line more badass, and your #2 goes to #3 making that line more badass. That's an entire team of upgrade in a single player, and the same can be said for Goalies or Defensemen.

But a coach?

You're telling me the same team with the same players moves the guy behind the bench, who stands there and flags for line changes, gives the guys a lead through practice and preparation, and some adjustment instruction during intermission, and the result is a team that was 6-7-0 under one coach is 21-5-6 under the other?!?!

Like I said, had I not seen it in the standings and watched the games, I would never have believed it. I've thought for a while that the Blues had a really good team building, and they'd show flashes of potential but they never seemed to have any consistency with how they played, even across a full game.

I have no point in this drivel, other than the Blues are tied for tops in the NHL with 60 points (though a few games ahead of the eastern teams, they are legitimately in first in the western conference) and I'd have laughed you off these forums if you called that before the season.

LETS GO BLUES!!!

1/17/2012 1:08 pm  #2

Re: Blues Quest for Greatness -- Chapter 43 -- "Ken Hitchcock Presents"

How exactly does Davis Payne survive his next job interview?

1/20/2012 9:11 am  #3

Another day, another shutout.

Our powerplay is rough, but holy crap is our goaltending on... We're under 2.0 GAA as a TEAM right now.

1/20/2012 9:58 am  #4

The comical thing about the current standings is that since you started this thread, the Blues have only played 1 game, a 1-0 win, and they've fallen from first to fourth in the Western Conference standings.

1/20/2012 10:29 am  #5

I know it. I caught tickets to the Enterprise box for Saturdays game (YAY!). Hopefully I bring us a winner.

1/20/2012 10:30 am  #6

Where's that?  I'm going Saturday and Tuesday.  I'll have the kids tomorrow.  I think Chad is going with me on Tuesday.

1/20/2012 11:16 am  #7

Saturday (against the Sabres). I actually cannot remember the box number (tickets are at home right now). They are on the Penalty side of the rink, pretty close to the blue line of the zone the Blues shoot twice. Maybe 114-117 range?

I'll have my kiddo with me too, she's just turned 12.

Send me an email (e378j3@erac.com) and I'll get you a text number so we can say hi if you like!

1/20/2012 12:09 pm  #8

"I think Chad is going with me on Tuesday."

Remember to ask him if Penny is hung like a moose. Try to catch him off guard. "Hey look. A penalty. By the way, how big is Brad Penny's cock? Pass the nachos."

1/23/2012 11:42 am  #9

Good to know that I can attend a Blues game and still see the high level of play we see on the TV. Very tough hockey club we have right now. Tonight is a big game, going into Detroit for a nice little tussle with the Wings. After that, back home to deal with the Penguins. Those are two marquee games that will be a good playoff gauge for how we're going to stack up.

Interesting thoughts about trade deadline moves, do you make any deals as the Blues, or stand pat with the team (and chemistry) that you have running now?

Fors, was good to see you man! We'll need to meet up for a game at a sports bar sometime.

1/23/2012 11:57 am  #10

Good to see you as well.

I wouldn't want to mess with the chemistry much, but I think this team needs a goal scorer.  I was talking about it with one of my friends today and the name that came up was Jarome Iginla.  Aging player with a big contract on a team that may not make the playoffs, but a player who still has his scoring touch and who is the gritty type of player who thrives in the playoffs. 

I'm not sure if Calgary would consider trading him, or what it would cost in terms of players, but that's the type of move I would seriously consider.

1/23/2012 12:04 pm  #11

Rick Nash was one I was curious about. I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Blue-Note either, if it didn't cost us something insane.

PS Edit, the cost on this would be high. I know he offered to waive his no trade if it helps Columbus get better. If the Blues can't afford the price, I'm just hoping that doesn't land him in Detroit or Chicago... or the Western Conference.... or the NHL. That guy is scary on a shit team like Columbus, putting him with a Rangers/Bruins/Hawks/Wings is just obscene to even think about.

Last edited by alz (1/23/2012 12:11 pm)

1/23/2012 12:22 pm  #12

Nash was another we discussed, but my guess is you're talking about a large return and likely removing a piece or two from the active roster.  No doubt, the guy has been very good for a perenially bad team.

Maybe Hitch can work some magic with the Columbus owner.

1/23/2012 1:16 pm  #13

I heard on NHL Network the Ducks may want to move Selanne. I'd prefer not to the Rangers.

1/23/2012 1:23 pm  #14

forsberg_us wrote:

Nash was another we discussed, but my guess is you're talking about a large return and likely removing a piece or two from the active roster.  No doubt, the guy has been very good for a perenially bad team.

Maybe Hitch can work some magic with the Columbus owner.

I'm just not sure how you can get out with Rick Nash, without losing either a goalie, Shattenkirk, or both (which are clear needs for Columbus).

1/23/2012 10:00 pm  #15

At some point this team has to prove it can beat the big boys.  Otherwise, it's a nice improvement, but an early playoff exit.

1/24/2012 8:43 am  #16

That's just kinda the way it goes with us against Detroit. 5 games this season, and the home team has won all of them. We'll play them once more at the end of the season. Tonight is another good test against a very good team with Pittsburgh coming in. We'll see how the boys do.

1/24/2012 4:22 pm  #17

It sucks we had to play them 3 straight times in a relatively short time frame all in Detroit.  Makes it feel like they're kicking our ass.

1/24/2012 4:39 pm  #18

Outside news. Ovechkin decided to skip the All Star Game on the grounds that he's serving a suspension and thus "undeserving" of the roster spot.

Translation: Go f--- yourself Shanahan, and f--- your stupid All Star Game that 7 people watch too.

Word is that Ovi will be taking a vacation during the break with his family instead.

2/13/2012 10:03 am  #19

And we're back from the break (what break? I dunno, quit f'ing up my lead-in!).

The Blues are doing well again, going 5-1-0 so far in the month of February. Tomorrow is @ Columbus. That's as good of a road game as you can draw in the NHL, Columbus is 9-15-3 at home, which is better than their 7-19-3 road record, but .... well yeah. One of those included a game where we had to take Halak out (he let in 3 goals on 12 shots), and still got a goal in the third to tie it before winning the shootout (We WON A SHOOTOUT!?!?!?).

After that there is a home game against the Islanders on Thursday.

Notes of importance: The Blues overall goal defense is 2nd in the NHL (111 GA, the Rangers are first with 110). With that said, our offense is not amazing. 139 GF is 24th in the NHL. Our Special Teams play really needs the work. Both on the PP and PK. If we can get a better effort on those fronts, we'll be a very difficult team to beat.

2/13/2012 11:59 am  #20

It's tough to beat a team that doesn't allow any goals, and last night's game was the 11th shutout in 55 games.  I was at last night's game, and it was good to win against one of the Western Conference powers.  We still have to show we can consistently beat the Detroits, Vancouvers, Nashvilles and Chicagos of the world, but shutting out San Jose was a good sign.

After last night's win, the Blues not have the 3rd best record in the NHL--which is good for 4th place in the Western Conference.  Great system.

2/13/2012 12:27 pm  #21

There's the sad marketing aspect of a division winner having to receive home-ice for it's first round playoff series, and any other series where they play a lesser "champion" or a wild-card entry.

Sad too, because it's all about seeding in the NHL, and with the more diverse schedule they play where they will get a home/away game with every other team in hockey, it really is smarter to go with overall record as seeding, and let division winners hang a banner (Even if their point total isn't enough to be in the top 8, and they don't make the playoffs). Case in point, Florida (65 points) and San Jose (66 points) and would normally be around the 5/6 spot in their conferences, fighting for their playoff lives with 7-8 seeds just a couple of points away. Instead they get home ice, against the 6th seed clubs (New Jersey might not be impossible, but that's Chicago in the West, anyone want to bet money that San Jose advances? I'd take Chicago in 5 there, although Chicago has been kinda shitty lately).

The appearances should be right though. The top 4 teams from the Central look like they'll be in, and Columbus doesn't deserve a spot, and won't. The home ice is kind of a kick in the balls for a team like St. Louis, because we're SICK at home, and probably deserve home ice unless we're playing against Detroit.

2/28/2012 8:34 am  #22

As of game number 63, the Blues are tied for the Central Division lead, and 2nd overall.

2 points behind Vancouver, and doing it on the road. Really good work!

3/07/2012 9:13 am  #23

Huge win last night boys, great special teams dominance. 1-2 on the PP, 5/5 on the PK (With a SHG, this makes 32 straight penalty kills for the Blues). Then for good measure add 3 even strength goals.

Halak was brilliant in net too, the one goal he let in was a very difficult save.

The result?
1st place - Western Conference, 1 point ahead of Vancouver.
1st place - Central Division, 2 points ahead of Detroit.

Anaheim comes in Thursday, and then Columbus comes in Saturday. After that, another scary road trip (7 games). Hard not to really like the way St. Louis is playing though.

3/09/2012 8:44 am  #24

Another solid performance from Halak, Anaheim played tough, but not enough to stop our boys.

Result?
1st place -- NHL Standing

No room to rest guys, beat the shit out of Columbus tomorrow, and then we'll focus on that road trip.

3/09/2012 12:05 pm  #25

They have certainly become a treat to watch and a bitch to play against.

Deservedly, a lot of credit is being given to Hitchcock, but lost in that is the job being done by Doug Armstrong (with limited means).  This past off-season, Armstrong added Arnott, Langebrunner and Nichol and brought a much needed veteran presence and the experience of having been through regular season grind, as well as the Stanley Cup battles.  These guys are going to be really important to this team in the coming weeks, and I think Armstrong signed all 3 for less than a million each.

Board footera