You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/26/2012 8:59 am  #1

Plethora of "what the fk, that cannot be all to this story" stories

First there's Trayvon Martin, and the lack of details there. I'm still praying there's seriously compelling evidence that I don't know about in regards to the shooter not being arrested, but let's forget that... I was reading about the Afghan shooting and there's something in there being passed over lightly that really deserves scrutiny...

They believe this cat slipped off base at night, came back on base, and slipped off base at night again to accomplish these murders. It took me a few reads to understand the shit I was being fed there, because the only base I've seen with any longevity was Scott AFB. This is Afghanistan during wartime. You cannot throw a paper airplane over the walls in either direction without an immediate armed response. We're not talking about some stupid barbed-wire fence here. We're talking about sniper nests, floodlights, multiple stages of barricades preventing straight line approach, multiple checkpoints, concrete, razor wire, trenches, bunker holes, you name it. It's designed to be defended by ground troops, and only really susceptible to tanks and long range missiles, and they have constant air coverage and other equipment tracking this. Night vision, thermal vision.... No fucking way, just no way in hell.... Sorry, I don't buy it. I'm not saying he's innocent, but there's more than a little that's not being told here.

3/27/2012 11:00 am  #2

Re: Plethora of "what the fk, that cannot be all to this story" stories

I think you would be suprised how easy it would be for someone with knowledge of how things work to slip out.  Sure the military has lots of tool toys and money but behind all that are still humans.  Humans get laxted.  They get tired at night and are likely more interested in incoming people then outgoing.  There are always cracks in the system.  I am sure someone is to blame for him being able to slip out but shit happens.  The real focus should be on the mental side of things.  Asking guys to go to war and deploying them over and over has to be tough.  Everyone has a breaking point.  I am suprised it doesnt happen more often then the 3 or 4 times we have heard about people snapping.  It has got to be tough.  I have a hard time calling this guy evil.

3/27/2012 11:41 am  #3

I know this post isnt about Trayvon Martin but since nobody has really joined in I have a few thoughts.

First off I agree with the "stand your ground" law.  Everyone should have the right to defend themselfs no matter what.  Illinios is the only state without some kind of conceal carry law.  I once agreed with that but now see the need for it.  The Trayvon Martin deal wont help pro-conceal carry legislation in Illinois.  While I have changed my stance on conceal carry, situations like this is what I fear.  If people want to do it they need to know and understand what they are doing.  If I have to go through use of force training, yearly qualifications and a 40hr class to carry so should everyone else.  Taking a life is taking a life. 

Secondly I think people need to chill the fuck out.  Zimmerman, right or wrong in his actions, felt the need to be a hero.  There is a reason there are police.  People may not like them and thats fine however they are there for a reason.  Leave your cape in the closet.  Even police are trained when off duty the best thing you can be is a good witness.  When push comes to shove, is it really worth the civil libility, slander or mistakes made because of not being trained to deal with the situation that you have put yourself in just to feel like a cowboy.  There is a reason dispatch told him not to get involved and wait for the police.  I wonder if he wishes he would have listened now?

Third, I question why people are trying to blame the police for not arresting Zimmerman.  His story was backup by a witness.  Zimmerman had wet grass stains on his back, supporting his claim of being pushed to the ground.   Of course latter other witnesses disputed it all.  It has turned into a he said she said he said she said thing.  How do you expect it to be sorted out on scene or ever?  Zimmerman's story could be BS and the witnesses are canceling eachother out.  Plus I am sure a prosecutor was called for legal opinion.  The truth may never be known and the fact still are fuzy.  But yeah, it was clearly a mistake for not arresting him for murder (sarcasm).

Last edited by APRTW (3/27/2012 11:44 am)

3/27/2012 12:50 pm  #4

APRTW wrote:

I think you would be suprised how easy it would be for someone with knowledge of how things work to slip out.  Sure the military has lots of tool toys and money but behind all that are still humans.  Humans get laxted.  They get tired at night and are likely more interested in incoming people then outgoing.  There are always cracks in the system.

This is true at Scott AFB, IL. This is most certainly not true in a hot-zone. I'm sorry, AP, but not on a hot-zone deployment. Nobody gets in or out of that base without running through a gate, and they are set up in a fashion that does not allow for anything to slip through, coming or going.

We not only have two way surveillance on gates, we also have any number of automated defense alarm systems that constantly monitor the direct vicinity outside of the base. Motion detection, heat signatures, you name it. We have possibly the most sophisticated and technologically advanced militaries on this planet, the last thing I heard we were producing was a smart grenade launcher, which allowed you to lace a target for range, dial in a + meter indicator, and fire the round. It would explode after travelling the range+ distance in air.

Ethan Hawke couldn't sneak into or out of a hot zone base. Sorry man. Bales had authorization to come and go, there's no other possible explanation, human laziness included.

For Trayvon Martin, at one point I noted that I seriously hoped there was more to this story because I had to believe there would be an arrest without some serious evidence backing up the shooters story. It really is beginning to look like irresponsible journalism, but I'm still going to let legal run it's course, because even after this, there could be more. I think it's pretty damning still for this cat to be safe in his car, go out and get into some shit, and then shoot/kill the other party. You had every opportunity to be safe. I don't necessarily think this makes him a cold blooded murderer, but at the very least should be tagged for felony obstruction by not following the instruction of the 911 operator.

Last edited by alz (3/27/2012 12:50 pm)

3/27/2012 1:45 pm  #5

So you think the army guy was sent out to gun down half the town?

I doubt very much info was released about Martin at first so people just filled in the blank as they thought might have happend.  Of course making it drama filled a possible.

3/27/2012 2:54 pm  #6

APRTW wrote:

So you think the army guy was sent out to gun down half the town?

I doubt very much info was released about Martin at first so people just filled in the blank as they thought might have happend.  Of course making it drama filled a possible.

Lol, I seriously laughed at this. No, I don't think that he was sent out to gun down half the town. I'm pretty sure of this actually, because if those were his orders, I'm fairly certain he wouldn't have been charged....

I'm just saying he most likely had military reason and authorization to come and go from the base at night. It's more than possible that he had full authorization, and after leaving the base, diverted from his mission, which could have been intel, logistics, maybe planting surveillance, you name it. I think it's probably sensetive and there was a cover story about how he left the post to prevent return questions we didn't want to answer, otherwise I'm fairly certain there's a BUTTLOAD of other people who would be in line for a DoD (Dereliction of Duty) court martial for their "human laziness". As understandable as the human element may be, there is no room for error with the security of a base in Afghanistan, and they would be.

DERELICTION OF DUTY - UCMJ
A service member who is derelict has willfully refused to perform his duties (or follow a given order) or has incapacitated himself in such a way that he cannot perform his duties. Incapacitation includes falling asleep while on-duty; getting drunk and being unable to perform his duties; or vacating his post contrary to regulations.
Punishment can include sanctions up to and including the death penalty (in times of war). (Do not be shocked by this, many UCMJ crimes carry a wartime death penalty, desertion, mutiny/sedition, espionage, treason, etc)

Other things that raise my eyebrows.
16 dead Afghanistans, he's charged with 17 murders (Was he out with a partner and shot/killed him too? Who's the extra victim?)
Massive payouts to the victims for wounds and fatalities that totalled just under 1 million dollars. Typical payout for a civilian casualty during a military operation is <4,000. These were 50,000 per casualty.

I apologize for making it sound like I believed the military sent him out to wipe out the villagers, I'm simply saying there's no way he "snuck off and on base".

3/29/2012 9:44 am  #7

I've been trying to avoid the rush to judgment in the Martin case, because as Alz aptly points out, there's been so much misinformation and opinion disseminated by various sources. But I saw a video last night that indicates, at least to me, Mr. Zimmerman did not have his head driven repeatedly into the ground by Mr. Martin.
I'm not a 17-year-old black kid, so I'm not speaking from experience, but I assume that being followed around by a "neighborhood watch captain" after I went to the store to buy Skittles and an iced tea and am deemed suspicious because I happen to have a hood over my head when it's raining is an act that would get old pretty quickly.
Mr. Zimmerman is not a police officer. It's pretty apparent that he wishes to be one, but he's not. He did the right thing by calling trained law enforcement agents, and he should have heeded their advice thereafter. Even his own attorney admits the "Stand Your Ground" - whatever the hell that means - statute doesn't apply because his client pursued Mr. Martin.
Bottom line is there are only two people who know what happened, and one of them is dead, so I guess we'll never really know.
As an aside, would the Hannitys and O'Reillys of the world please, please stop with the generalization that Spike Lee and Al Sharpton are representative of a certain point of view? It's as inaccurate as saying Archie Bunker is representative of their beliefs and tenets.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (3/29/2012 9:44 am)

3/29/2012 10:43 am  #8

Thank you Chicago for approaching the issue with such class. 

WASHINGTON (AP) — Rep. Bobby Rush donned a hoodie during a speech on the House floor Wednesday deploring the killing of Florida teenager Trayvon Martin, receiving a reprimand for violating rules on wearing hats in the House chamber.

The Illinois Democrat spoke out against racial profiling and, as he removed his suit coat and pulled the hood on the sweatshirt he was wearing underneath over his head, saying "just because someone wears a hoodie does not make them a hoodlum."

Rush was interrupted by the presiding officer, Mississippi Republican Gregg Harper, who reminded him that the wearing of hats was not allowed and "members need to remove their hoods or leave the floor."

On Tuesday the 17-year-old Martin's parents spoke on Capitol Hill at a Democratic-sponsored panel on racial profiling.

Rush founded the Illinois chapter of the Black Panthers in 1968 and served six months in prison for illegal possession of weapons when he was in his 20s. He went on to get a political science degree from Chicago's Roosevelt University, won a seat on Chicago's city council in 1983 and was elected to Congress from Chicago's South Side in 1992. In 2000 he defeated Barack Obama, then a state senator, in a primary battle for Rush's seat.

Rush lost a son to a shooting in 1999 and has been a strong advocate for victims of gun violence.

Then Mr. Chicago gets involved.

President Obama recently said that if he had a son, he'd look like murder victim Trayvon Martin. And in what some conservatives see as a direct connection between the national controversy surrounding the teen's death, the Obama 2012 re-election campaign announced via Twitter on Monday that it was putting its collegiate hooded sweatshirt on sale.

The sweatshirt was temporarily discounted to $40 from its regular $50 listing. However, the tweet announcing the sale has apparently been removed and following the hooded sweatshirt link at Obama's campaign re-election site store shows the clothing item listed at its regular $50 price.

Obama's critics on the right had a field day with the questionable Twitter posting, with the conservative blog Gateway Pundit calling it "disgusting," and the website Twitchy asking if  "Team Obama is capitalizing on Treyvon Martin's death?"

Some of Obama's Republican presidential rivals offer hooded sweatshirts on their sites as well. You can buy a Mitt Romney "Believe in America" hoodie for $50, or a "Ron Paul Is My Homeboy" hoodie from the Texas congressman's PAC. The Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich campaigns do not appear to have hooded sweatshirts for sale.

Last edited by APRTW (3/29/2012 10:54 am)

3/29/2012 11:25 am  #9

"Rush was interrupted by the presiding officer, Mississippi Republican Gregg Harper, who reminded him that the wearing of hats was not allowed and "members need to remove their hoods or leave the floor."

Wonder if they put that rule in for Sen. Byrd?

3/29/2012 12:07 pm  #10

artie_fufkin wrote:

"Rush was interrupted by the presiding officer, Mississippi Republican Gregg Harper, who reminded him that the wearing of hats was not allowed and "members need to remove their hoods or leave the floor."

Wonder if they put that rule in for Sen. Byrd?

Rec

4/11/2012 7:14 pm  #11

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/zimmerman-charged-2nd-degree-murder-trayvon-martin-shooting-220301336.html

Given how long this took I am sure things are still muddy but as politics go it is better to leave it up to a jury.  It isnt a bad call.  Of course Sharpton is still crying.

5/15/2012 10:40 pm  #12

7/13/2013 10:27 pm  #13

Well, you called that one AP. Acquitted on all charges. 

7/14/2013 11:26 pm  #14

Excellent verdict. According to a half-dozen housewives from Florida who were too stupid to get out of jury duty, Trayvon Martin dropped dead of his own accord. The Skittles were probably poisoned.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (7/14/2013 11:29 pm)

7/15/2013 6:14 am  #15

artie_fufkin wrote:

Excellent verdict. According to a half-dozen housewives from Florida who were too stupid to get out of jury duty, Trayvon Martin dropped dead of his own accord. The Skittles were probably poisoned.

The more i heard about this case the easier it was to see that a conviction was not possible.  Imo the only reason the case went to trial was political.  While i strongly believe in the right to defende yourself i hope this case serves as a leason.  True, zimmerman isnt dead if he was truely defending himself, we will never know.  However he is broke from legal fees.  Likely to get sued and made a nation debate.  This isnt how the west was really won.  Moral of the story should be to stay in the fucking truck.  

7/15/2013 11:17 am  #16

APIAD wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

The more i heard about this case the easier it was to see that a conviction was not possible.  Imo the only reason the case went to trial was political.  While i strongly believe in the right to defende yourself i hope this case serves as a leason.  True, zimmerman isnt dead if he was truely defending himself, we will never know.  However he is broke from legal fees.  Likely to get sued and made a nation debate.  This isnt how the west was really won.  Moral of the story should be to stay in the fucking truck.  

I don't think this case is going to serve as much of a lesson.  Zimmerman is going to get a nice settlement from NBC for doctoring the 911 tape.  He'll also do well from book/movie rights.

His lawyers worked for free, so he owes no legal fees.  He may get sued by the Martin family, but they have a pretty difficult hill to climb considering the jury concluded the shooting was justified.

George Zimmerman will have to live a sheltered life, but overall I think he'll do OK.

7/15/2013 11:23 am  #17

artie_fufkin wrote:

Based on the evidence presented, the jury reached the only verdict that was possible.  The prosecution didn't, and couldn't prove its case.  The case should never have been brought to trial, and it wouldn't shock me if the prosecutors find themselves facing disciplinary charges from the state bar.  Particularly the lady who served as Special Prosecutor.  It seems pretty clear that her office withheld exculpatory evidence from the defense.  Then she fired the IT guy who testified about it.

7/15/2013 12:16 pm  #18

forsberg_us wrote:

APIAD wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

I don't think this case is going to serve as much of a lesson.  Zimmerman is going to get a nice settlement from NBC for doctoring the 911 tape.  He'll also do well from book/movie rights.

His lawyers worked for free, so he owes no legal fees.  He may get sued by the Martin family, but they have a pretty difficult hill to climb considering the jury concluded the shooting was justified.

George Zimmerman will have to live a sheltered life, but overall I think he'll do OK.

well that really sucks.  One thing zimmerman is not is a hero.  Did he have to kill trayvon?  Idk maybe.  And maybe i would have done the exact same thing in his situation.  The real issue is that he put himself in the position to have to make that call.  That is what angers me.  the good news is that there are very few people on this earth as dumb as zimmerman.  He was found not guilty of murder but he is still guilty of being a dumbass.  I have no issue with the verdict.  I have no issue with someone dieing because another defended themselfs and believe everyone has that right.   However a cowboy like zimmerman angers me.  imo it is a bad reflection on the whole pro gun world.

Also the jury didnt find tryvons murder justified.  They only found that it couldnt be proven otherwise.  That is something the population that calls this finding a win needs to understand.  

7/15/2013 12:27 pm  #19

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

Based on the evidence presented, the jury reached the only verdict that was possible.  The prosecution didn't, and couldn't prove its case.  The case should never have been brought to trial, and it wouldn't shock me if the prosecutors find themselves facing disciplinary charges from the state bar.  Particularly the lady who served as Special Prosecutor.  It seems pretty clear that her office withheld exculpatory evidence from the defense.  Then she fired the IT guy who testified about it.

i dont blame the prosecution from taking the case to trial.  They were in a no win situation.  take a case to trial they couldnt win or take exreme heat for not taking the case.  Even our president was dumb enough to wiegh in.  As for the trial, i didnt follow it.  There was no need.  The outcome was pretty clear.  

i give the jury alot of credit.  The easiest thing to do would have been to convict zimmerman.  

7/15/2013 12:50 pm  #20

"George Zimmerman will have to live a sheltered life, but overall I think he'll do OK."

Well thank goodness for that. I hope it all works out for him. He's been through so much, being called a racist and a murderer and having to go through a trial, just because he offed a kid who had the temerity to breach his domain. It's about time these nitwit wannabe cops who are too stupid to even be warehouse security guards were recognized for keeping the streets safe from teenagers with snack foods.

7/15/2013 1:37 pm  #21

"Also the jury didnt find tryvons murder justified."

You're correct, but this is a little different from the typical "not guilty" verdict.  Before a defendant can even argue self-defense, the defendant has to show "substantial evidence" to the court's satisfaction that the defense is plausible.  Obviously, the defense met that hurdle and the prosecution wasn't able to disprove it.

7/15/2013 1:43 pm  #22

"i dont blame the prosecution from taking the case to trial. They were in a no win situation. take a case to trial they couldnt win or take exreme heat for not taking the case."

The thing is, the case wasn't brought by the local prosecutor's office because the County Sheriff's office had already concluded there was insufficient evidence.  The case was hijacked by the State for political gain.  Then the special prosecutor decided to bypass the grand jury process, undoubtedly because she knew she didn't have sufficient evidence to support an indictment.

But all that said, none of it justifies the apparent prosecutorial misconduct that occurred.  I don't do criminal law, but even I know that one of the things required of prosecutors is to turn over any and all evidence that may establish the defendant's innocence.  These prosecutors didn't do that, and to make matters worse, when they got caught, they fired the IT guy who gave honest testimony that material hadn't been produced.  There's no excuse for that type of conduct.

7/15/2013 1:45 pm  #23

artie_fufkin wrote:

"George Zimmerman will have to live a sheltered life, but overall I think he'll do OK."

Well thank goodness for that. I hope it all works out for him. He's been through so much, being called a racist and a murderer and having to go through a trial, just because he offed a kid who had the temerity to breach his domain. It's about time these nitwit wannabe cops who are too stupid to even be warehouse security guards were recognized for keeping the streets safe from teenagers with snack foods.

George Zimmerman is a douche bag, but it doesn't change the fact that the jury ultimately got the decision correct.

7/16/2013 8:57 am  #24

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

George Zimmerman is a douche bag, but it doesn't change the fact that the jury ultimately got the decision correct.

He has to be held liable in some respect. The jury decided he's not a murderer, but if not for his unwarranted reaction to a situation that did not require his intervention, Trayvon Martin is alive. And the prospect that Zimmerman is going to end up profitting from this episode is far more disturbing than the verdict. He's literally going to be rewarded for ignoring the police and imposing his own frontier justice.

7/16/2013 9:34 am  #25

artie_fufkin wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

He has to be held liable in some respect. The jury decided he's not a murderer, but if not for his unwarranted reaction to a situation that did not require his intervention, Trayvon Martin is alive. And the prospect that Zimmerman is going to end up profitting from this episode is far more disturbing than the verdict. He's literally going to be rewarded for ignoring the police and imposing his own frontier justice.

Not criminally.  It's no different than a guy with a big mouth at a party. That guy can "motherfuck" you all he wants. If you turn around and start kicking his ass, you're the one who's going to jail for battery, even though you wouldn't have started kicking the guy's ass if he hadn't opened his mouth. If that guy happens to be armed and can justify using his weapon to defend himself, he isn't criminally responsible even though his mouth started the entire incident.

That's the main problem the prosecution had with its case.  This entire incident doesn't occur if GM doesn't follow TM, but GZ isn't breaking the law by doing so.  If TM responds with physical force, he's the first one to break the law, and GZ is justified in defending himself.  Because TM is dead, the prosecution only had GZ's version of the story, and that version allowed for self-defense.  Absent a witness, or some other form of evidence to refute GZ's version of the events, the prosecution had to know it couldn't prove its case.  That's why the trial was a farce.  It was unwinnable from the moment it was brought.  Prosecutors don't bring cases they can't win unless they are forced to do so.  This entire trial was a political spectacle brought to appease Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, etc...  The only chance they had of winning was to get a jury that was either too stupid or too afraid to follow the law.

Board footera