You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2012 7:02 pm  #1

Playoff thread

Probably not the start the Flyers were looking for from Brzgzlvozkinezinzkiovz.

4/11/2012 9:28 pm  #2

Re: Playoff thread

Not a bad finish though.

4/12/2012 7:44 am  #3

Kings taking one out of Vancouver with some authority too. Detroit taking a loss.

Interesting stuff on the ice yesterday!

4/12/2012 8:27 am  #4

alz wrote:

Kings taking one out of Vancouver with some authority too. Detroit taking a loss.

Interesting stuff on the ice yesterday!

I was only able to stay up for the first period, but the Kings could have had four on the board had Luongo not come up with some good saves. I suppose the Canucks miss Sedin, but you'd figure they'd have enough anyway to dominate an 8th seed.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (4/12/2012 8:27 am)

4/12/2012 9:01 am  #5

I'm almost hoping Vancouver limps through round 1, and the Phoenix beats the Blackhawks. However, I'll take home ice throughout anyway I can get it.

4/12/2012 8:30 pm  #6

This is the type of game the Bruins usually lose. Out-shooting the Caps, 25-7, through two. Ice looking like its titled toward the Caps' end ... and in the third period Ovechkin will pop one in on a counterattack and Washington wins, 1-0.

4/13/2012 10:04 am  #7

Blues played a really good OT.... Still have no idea how they lost to that weak ass shot, but they played well enough to win. Hopefully they even it up on Saturday, and we'll go to San Jose at 1-1.

4/13/2012 11:10 am  #8

alz wrote:

Blues played a really good OT.... Still have no idea how they lost to that weak ass shot, but they played well enough to win. Hopefully they even it up on Saturday, and we'll go to San Jose at 1-1.

Halak looked like the last thing he expected was for Havlak to shoot the puck. I only watched after the Bruins game ended, but from what I saw the Blues were the better team.

4/13/2012 11:12 am  #9

Anyone else watch the Hawks/Coyotes game? The NHL used the local Chicago feed, which was sponsored "O'Malley's Liquor Kitchen." Can we presume that classy establishment is not on the Magnificent Mile?

4/13/2012 11:13 am  #10

They were, it was pretty frustrating. Giving up that second goal was the killer to me, we should have won that game 2-1. Hopefully they regroup and get better bounces Saturday. If they lose that game too, they are in deep shit.

4/13/2012 11:14 am  #11

artie_fufkin wrote:

Anyone else watch the Hawks/Coyotes game? The NHL used the local Chicago feed, which was sponsored "O'Malley's Liquor Kitchen." Can we presume that classy establishment is not on the Magnificent Mile?

I attempted to drown myself in beer over about 6.5 hours yesterday, and watched only the St. Louis Blues, and all the ass running around the Post on Manchester. It was a good night.

4/14/2012 12:45 pm  #12

Kings up on the Canyucks, 2-0, heading to Los Angeles. Interesting ....

4/14/2012 1:51 pm  #13

How about the Flyers beating the Penguins 8-5?  There have been recent series in which the two teams didn't score 13 goals.  That was some of the worst defensive play I've ever seen.

4/14/2012 4:54 pm  #14

forsberg_us wrote:

How about the Flyers beating the Penguins 8-5?  There have been recent series in which the two teams didn't score 13 goals.

There may be one shape place in Boston. Goalie is playing well, but he's getting a lot of help. I don't know the hockey terminology, but in basketball, we call what the Caps are doing "packing in the zone."

4/14/2012 5:57 pm  #15

Oh god. Now they have to play a series against Dryden Holtby and the Holtbiettes.

4/15/2012 6:06 pm  #16

I wonder how far you have to go back in NHL lore to find a team that gave up back-to-back 8-spots in the playoffs.  Pittsburgh looks awful.

4/15/2012 8:12 pm  #17

Hard to not love what you saw from the Blues yesterday, especially at the end of the game. Going to be one hell of a series. Hopefully we can take game 3, and control of this series back.

4/15/2012 8:32 pm  #18

forsberg_us wrote:

I wonder how far you have to go back in NHL lore to find a team that gave up back-to-back 8-spots in the playoffs.  Pittsburgh looks awful.

At least the Penguins are keeping their composure.

4/15/2012 9:08 pm  #19

I can't believe Florida fans still throw plastic rats onto the ice. It'd be almost funny if Jovanovski stepped on one by mistake and blew out a knee.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (4/15/2012 9:13 pm)

4/16/2012 10:19 am  #20

I guess Sabotka brooke Moore's nose in the post game theatrics Saturday. Their coach called it a sucker punch. I called it high value entertainment, and he can kiss my ass after that flying elbow bullshit to Russell. McDonalds smash had me wincing, but that was a lot more of a straight up play then Russell. I'm glad Mac's okay. After that elbow though, nothing and nobody is off limits. I don't care if there is 2 seconds left in the third with you hiding in your own corner. We're going to fucking hit him hard too, then beat your ass for the postgame if you don't like it.

Halak out for game three, and I'm not at all concerned with Elliott being in there. I guess Jaro hurt his leg when Jackman went through him. I thought it looked like he caught a skate on the net, and then fell over his leg without it coming free. This is a brilliant opportunity for Elliott to shine though, and he deserves the shot.

I was pretty amazed at the ass-beating Polak put on Braun after the end of the game. Like jaw-dropping amazement. I have never been so damned happy to have Tivo going in my life. I watched that ending 4 times already.

I am pretty sure I even saw Bergland throwing a couple of checks, nothing heavy duty, but it's nice to see him at least thinking about throwing himself around a bit. One of these days he's going to get a hit on someone and realize how much of an advantage he's been ignoring. When that happy day comes, he will be a living nightmare to defend (like Oshie can be).

I cannot wait for Game 3, LETS GO BLUES!!!!!!!! Let's beat the absolute shit out of them in the tank tonight, and then we'll worry about game 4.

How can anyone not love playoff hockey? Seriously. What a fucking game!

Last edited by alz (4/16/2012 10:21 am)

4/16/2012 10:37 am  #21

Presuming Vancouver loses its series to the Kings, the Blues are probably the favorites in the West. Nashville has looked pretty good, too.
Hard to annoit a favorite in the East so far. I don't know what it is about the Rangers, but it's hard to get behind them as a favorite.

4/16/2012 10:47 am  #22

Here's what I don't like about the West.

Nashville - Rinne.
Detroit - Howard.
Los Angeles - Quick.
Vancouver - Luongo.

Chicago/Phoenix don't have goalie's that can take over a game and shut you out, and I'm sure other teams in the West list Halak/Elliott on their fear board too.

If Vancouver loses (and that's beginning to seem likely), we'll get to square up with Quick. We can beat the Los Angeles Kings all over the ice, but getting anything through Quick is a pain in the ass. We'll have to play very strong hockey to win.

There is no weak team in the west, even the "joke" pacific teams that floated in are problematic. A hot goalie can nullify any other advantage in the game.

4/16/2012 11:15 am  #23

Luongo got benched in favor of Schneider last night, as he should have been before the series started. Never been sold on that guy.
Quick is the real deal.

4/16/2012 12:23 pm  #24

Luongo seems to play the Blues very tough, which is why I would rather not have to be the team that eliminates Vancouver (who would have home ice). I would rather deal with breaking through Quick, although at this moment, it's pretty clear who's playing better in the net. Vancouver is not getting the results they would normally be expected to get. When Vancouver is playing at top form, they are a damned force to be reckoned with (as are the Blues).

However, I'm going to treat this the same way as I treated the fear of dealing with Philly as a first round opponent for the Cardinals. I'll worry about that when it gets here, if we get bounced by San Jose, it won't matter who advances to round #2.

And of course, knowing that I'm amped up to watch my Blues play, this whole day is dragging by with the speed of a coccoon'ed catepillar during winter....

Talk more, it passes the time! Thanks!

4/16/2012 11:51 pm  #25

The last 3 1/2 minutes weren't so hot, but the Blues reclaim home ice. Let's see if we can steal another on Thursday.

Alz, don't discount Mike Smith in Phoenix. He was nails down the stretch including a 54 save shutout in the last week of the season. He single-handedly got Phoenix into the #3 seed. He also looked great against the Blues on that last Saturday of the season.

Board footera