You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/17/2012 10:06 am  #26

Re: Playoff thread

Steal another one?!?!? How dare you sir! the Blues dominated 55 minutes of that hockey game. Nearly utterly collapsed in the last 5, but that wasn't a steal!

I'm not discounting Smith, no team or goalie in the West sucks. I just fear some of the others a lot more than Smitty.

4/17/2012 10:15 am  #27

San Jose outplayed the Blues last night 5 on 5, but the Blues power play was the difference.  San Jose also was the more physical team.

End of the day, a win is a win, and now the Blues have 2 to San Jose's 1.  I think some of the young 'uns (Oshie in particular) are learning that playoff hockey is about 100 levels of intensity higher than the regular season.  The good news is they're winning games while learning.

And I really wish they'd stop going into a shell at the end of games.  I know they had a 4-1 lead, but it was 4-2 when the Blues had that last power play.  I'd have liked to have seen them try to score rather than simply be content running 2 minutes off the clock.  The way they played enabled San Jose to get the goalie off the ice quickly after the penalty expired which led to the 3rd goal.  It cost them in Game 1, and damn near cost them last night.

4/17/2012 10:43 am  #28

Milan Lucic is an idiot. Last night, the Bruins have a power play with about three minutes left, with the score tied 3-3. So of course the Caps try to goad Lucic into a penalty, and he complies by getting called for a double minor. The Bruins scored during the 4-on-4, but then they had to kill off a 6-on-4 in the final minute when the Caps pulled their goalie.
It's not like this is anything new. He loses his temper and gets called for dumb penalties all the time.
This series is about to get testy. Peverley took a cheap shot at the end of the game that resulted in a match penalty last night, and the Caps have been using Marchand as a pinata all series long. Last night, he got speared in the nuts. If one of these games gets out of hand on the scoreboard, Game 3 of the Flyers/Pens series is going to be a little girl's birthday party by comparison.

4/17/2012 12:42 pm  #29

I dunno fors, on the scoreboard they were weaker in 5v5, they only scored one goal 5v5. We scored 0, but goal 1 was a PP goal, and a fluke mistake by Russell. Goal #3 was empty net, while the Blues had no incentive to even ice the puck it was so late with a 2 goal lead.

From what I watched, the Blues almost never allowed sustained pressure, blocked a buttload of shots when San Jose did accomplish the blue line, and overpowered them almost the entire game 5v5. We didn't score, but there's wasn't a lot of room for San Jose to do anything. Until they found some openings at the tail end of the game, which is indeed disturbing. We beat them in game 1, and let them off the hook. We destroyed them in game 2, and embarrassed them for almost all of game 3 in their own building. Their own crowd was booing them. Their powerplay was almost non-existant until the last one, and their penalty kill got humiliated.

There was a lot to criticize in that last 5 minutes, but the first 55 reminded me of the team that went 6-1 on that road trip, and came to be expected to win every night. They played with poise and confidence, and while the score was close there for a while, you felt it was just a matter of time before St. Louis blew the doors off the place. That happened! The collapse at the end.... Great to learn from and still walk away with a win, that was dangerous. I don't think Hitch will allow it in Game 4. I'd expect a little more effort from San Jose, and a lot chippier of a game if they are losing. Going down 3-1 is nearly always fatal in the NHL Playoffs, and I would expect they get some attitude if it looks like that's their destination.

4/18/2012 9:03 am  #30

Thoughts about the hit on Hossa?

I have a few, some good some bad.

1) I fear Hossa, that bastard has a blistering wrist shot, and plays for a division rival. I would breathe easier not having to face him if we somehow played Chicago later.
2) That said, I hope that Hossa is okay. The hit really left a Lindros impression, and he could be out for quite some time. Scary hit.
3) I think Torres left his feet, and put Marian Hossa in the hospital, he's a fucking dead man when Shanahan looks at that.
4) That said, Hossa didn't even look like he expected the hit, and Torres came straight at him, I have no idea how you can't be looking for a hit every time you touch the puck...

4/18/2012 9:34 am  #31

Hossa definitely had his head down and looked as if he was out for an afternoon skate with the kids rather than being in the middle of an NHL playoff game, but Torres definitely left his feet, and it wasn't just a little hop, it was a full blown jump.  As flagrant as that play was, combined with Torres' past record, he should get a double-digit game suspension.

Don't take this the wrong way because I love the physicality of playoff hockey, and I appreciate the chippiness that comes from playing the same team night after night, but these playoffs have turned into a street fight.  Shanahan fucked this whole thing up when he turned a blind eye to Weber's elbow and head slam on Zetterberg.  He needs to fix it by throwing the book at Torres.

No one is going to want to watch a Stanley Cup finals played by 3rd and 4th line players and a half dozen kids called up from the minors.  At the rate this is going, every 1st or 2nd line player is going to be in the hospital or in the press box with a concussion.

One last thing, how in the hell to the officials completely miss that call?  I know the linesmen aren't supposed to call penalties, but I thought they had input on intent to injure plays, and its embarrassing that four separate sets of eyes didn't see the Torres hit as a penalty.

Last edited by forsberg_us (4/18/2012 9:38 am)

4/18/2012 10:25 am  #32

"No one is going to want to watch a Stanley Cup finals played by 3rd and 4th line players and a half dozen kids called up from the minors.  At the rate this is going, every 1st or 2nd line player is going to be in the hospital or in the press box with a concussion."

I don't know what Shanahan does at this point. Torres has to be suspended because he left his feet, but what you wrote about Hossa's unpreparedness is accurate. On one hand, it's a good thing that we've become so conscious about head injuries. On the other hand, my buddy's youth football team was down to 15 players by the end of last season because every time a kid came home from school with a headache, his parents kept him at home because they thought it was a concussion.

4/18/2012 10:34 am  #33

Sadly, the only thing Torres did wrong was leave his feet. It was way wrong, but the hit by itself is straight up, shoulder through chest. Legal hit if he doesn't jump.

The baffling thing to me is Hossa. I'm not saying he deserved this or had it coming, but this is the playoffs. What he does is remarkably stupid from a man I would almost otherwise credit with brilliant ice vision. Unfortunately, he paid a dear price for this. People say his head bounced off the ice, and I don't know that I see that. It never looks like his helmet actually hits the ice to me, but that might have been a bad angle. It's likely he has a concussion however, and how long did that sideline Perron? McDonald? Kariya? ... I hope he's okay, but I have a feeling we're not going to see Hossa for a while.

4/18/2012 11:24 am  #34

Hossa's head never hit the ice, but I'm sure the whiplash effect inside his skull was more than sufficient to mess him up for a while.

Leaving your feet is a pretty serious offense.  On a clean hit, the checker stops striding to brace for impact.  In essence, he's slowing down ever so slightly because of friction.  When you jump, you're actually propelling yourself into the target.  Not to mention a hit that was otherwise shoulder to chest suddenly becomes shoulder to head because of the change in height.

Torres has a long reputation as a dirty player and I suspect he's about to pay seriously for that reputation.

4/18/2012 2:01 pm  #35

I get you and agree with you, I was just making an observation about how close that line is between good clean tough hitting, and bullshit cheapass dirty hockey. If he doesn't leave his feet, it's a solid legal hockey play, and he's commended for making it. Pretty sure with Hossa's level of attentiveness, he's in the hospital either way.

4/18/2012 2:42 pm  #36

And apparently Shanahan agrees with both of us, that he did cross the line. Suspended indefinitely pending a hearing Friday. He'll definitely miss game 4, not sure beyond that, it will depend on the hearing.

4/18/2012 2:50 pm  #37

I seem to remember reading somewhere that when the hearing is conducted in person, the potential suspension is greater than 5 games.  Again, I think Torres' history plays into this a lot, but I think he's done for a while.

ETA: Did you see this story?  LMAO!!! I always hated Tyson Nash

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/story/_/id/7828158/phoenix-coyotes-announcer-tyson-nash-received-death-threats-call-marian-hossa-hit

Last edited by forsberg_us (4/18/2012 2:51 pm)

4/18/2012 5:39 pm  #38

I didn't hate Tyson Nash, but I easily saw why everyone else did. I love pests. Loved Courtnall for the same reason I liked Nash. He always had this Hollywood smile and a gift for getting some cheap ass bullshit in on someone without a ref seeing. All they saw was the retaliation, and some really irate opponent trying to beat the crap out of this innocent grinning bystander. I would have detested him more than Sean Avery had he not been a Blue...

4/18/2012 6:01 pm  #39

forsberg_us wrote:

I seem to remember reading somewhere that when the hearing is conducted in person, the potential suspension is greater than 5 games.  Again, I think Torres' history plays into this a lot, but I think he's done for a while.

ETA: Did you see this story?  LMAO!!! I always hated Tyson Nash

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/story/_/id/7828158/phoenix-coyotes-announcer-tyson-nash-received-death-threats-call-marian-hossa-hit

Wonder if Bartman authored the post in the comment section about Chicago being "better than that" for issuing death threats?

4/18/2012 7:26 pm  #40

Courtnall had talent. Nash was one of the biggest pussies I ever saw put on skates. He'd run everyone and run and hide when it came time to drop the gloves. I was embarrassed every day that coward wore the Blue Note.

Guys like Nash, Jordan Tootoo, Matt Cooke and Avery represent everything wrong with the game. They know that with the instigator rule they can't be held accountable for their actions. Back in the good old days of the NHL, someone like Bob Probert, Todd Ewen or Tony Twist would have beat Nash or Avery to a bloody pulp.

4/18/2012 8:14 pm  #41

"Nash was one of the biggest pussies I ever saw put on skates."

Claude Lemeiux.

4/18/2012 8:22 pm  #42

Pens 9, Flyers 3, with four minutes left in the second period??!??
Are they playing without goalies?

4/18/2012 10:11 pm  #43

artie_fufkin wrote:

Claude Lemeiux.

Great call

4/18/2012 11:55 pm  #44

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

Claude Lemeiux.

Great call

Most certainly. I'd forgotten what a fucking douche he was until you mentioned his name. lol

Fors, I didn't adore Nash, but while he was here, his antics usually benefitted the club. He was ... a "rat" I believe is the term. Wasn't skilled enough to be a stud, so his game was to fuck up the other teams game. Did well at it. Like I said, I would have hated his ass if he wasn't playing for us.

4/19/2012 7:34 am  #45

I understand Alz, and you certainly weren't the only person who liked him.  I just hate that style of player, even if he benefits the team I root for.  I hate the NHL for changing the rules in a way that allowed players like this to thrive.

4/19/2012 8:43 am  #46

So going back to Claude Lemieux... I still don't know if he's a bigger douche than Avery. It's a pretty close race, but Avery's stick antics in front of Brodeur really take the cake for me. That was maybe the cheapest shit in the history of hockey.

4/19/2012 10:21 am  #47

I have greater disdain for Avery simply because without all of his nuisance bullshit (and the rules that allow him to get away with his nuisance bullshit), he'd be lucky to have a job in the NHL.  Hell, Avery's lucky to have a job in the NHL anyway.

Lemieux at least had skill.  He scored almost 400 career NHL goals and another 80 in the playoffs.  Lemieux was a part of 3 Stanley Cup winning teams and was the Conn Smythe trophy winner on one of those.  I hated Claude Lemieux, but my hatred was more similar to the hatred I had for guys like Jeremy Roenick and Ed Belfour.

I hate the Sean Averys of the game simply because they exist, not because I'm worried they're going to beat the team I'm rooting for.

4/19/2012 1:47 pm  #48

http://www.stlouisgametime.com/2012/4/19/2951233/the-many-breeds-of-casual-blues-fans

What you think Fors? I found this shit to be pretty dead on the money, and laughed my ass off reading it.

4/19/2012 2:13 pm  #49

Fairly accurate although I'm sure we could add a few more categories to the list.  The one that comes to mind is:

The Teacher- This "fan" hasn't been to a Blues game in years, but comes to the game with someone who has never seen a hockey game.  The teacher doesn't know the difference between the red line, blue line or goal line, confuses the trapezoid and the crease and doesn't know the icing or offsides rules, but will spend the entire game incorrectly explaining the game of hockey to the person he brought to the game in a voice loud enough to be heard by the entire section in which he is sitting.

4/19/2012 2:36 pm  #50

Jackman hater is in the comments of the article. If Jackman got a hat trick, he should of scored 4. If he cured your mom of cancer, he should have prevented it in the first place. I was dying, I've met this guy a number of times.

"Jackman never does Shit! Trade him!!!"
Me: er... he blocked 5 shots, had 3 hits, collapsed and kept a few forechecks going, and broke up an odd man rush by laying out and taking a pass off his face.....
"Yeah but he failed to clear the puck, and they got a slap shot from the point in the 2nd period."
Me: Are you fucking serious?!?!?

Board footera