You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/19/2012 3:38 pm  #51

Re: Playoff thread

Jackman hater replaced the ever popular Brewer hater.

Brewer hater had a little more to bitch about, although Brewer hater's biggest gripe was that Brewer wasn't Pronger.

4/20/2012 9:31 am  #52

St. Louis, Los Angeles, Phoenix and Nashville all with 3-1 series leads in the West.  Who'd a thunk it?

4/23/2012 8:51 am  #53

We are now the #1 seed in the west, and if the Rangers don't get by Washington, the #1 seed in hockey I think.

Goodbye Vancouver! Goodbye San Jose!

Goddamn we stole game 5 in my opinion. Great tenacity staying with a stifling defense.

4/24/2012 1:19 pm  #54

So what I'm seeing here is amazing for us, and please understand this is in no means a slight to any of the teams still standing. Just a statement of fact that I feel Vancouver was a stronger club then Los Angeles, Chicago was a stronger club then Phoenix, Pittsburgh was a stronger club then Philly.

If the Rangers blow it against the Senators, you're left with Ottawa, Bos/Wash, NJ/Florida, Philly in the East. None of those 6 scare me as much as the other two. Not saying they suck, they certainly don't.

In the West, it's even better. We get Los Angeles. Quick is good, real good. So is Elliott/Halak. There's no way I would have rather played Phoenix then Los Angeles (which is what happens if Vancouver won). Nashville and Phoenix get to duke it out, and I'd rather see Phoenix there. Nashville is fucking good, and Rinne always seems to cause us problems. If Phoenix beats Nashville, we'll get through the entire western conference with home ice, and not having to play another Central division opponent.

Wrapping up round one, I would almost rather see Washington advance, because I'm a lot more scared of running into a hot Tim Thomas in the finals then Ovechkin. I'm pulling for Ottawa purely to lock up home ice in the Finals if we get there. However, going into round 2, and for the next 2 1/2 weeks, nothing matters outside of Los Angeles.

4/24/2012 1:32 pm  #55

The rest of the playoffs could have a decidedly fresh look, depending on what happens in these 3 series in the East.  Assume that Florida, Ottawa and Washington win their series.  The final 8 teams will be:

St. Louis- 0-3 in the finals, haven't been since 1970
Phoenix- never been to the finals
Nashville- never been to the finals
Los Angeles- 0-1, only trip in 1993

Florida- 0-1, only trip in 1996
Philadelphia- 2-6, the only team among the 8 to have won a cup, but haven't won since 1975
Ottawa- 0-1, only trip 2007
Washington- 0-1, only trip in 1998

Of course, I'm sure Boston, New Jersey and New York all have plans to try to mess this up.

4/24/2012 3:14 pm  #56

'Assume that Florida, Ottawa and Washington win their series.'

ok if i don't?

4/24/2012 3:20 pm  #57

"I would almost rather see Washington advance, because I'm a lot more scared of running into a hot Tim Thomas in the finals then Ovechkin."

thomas has been ordinary in the first six games. but he really didn't get it going until the philadelphia series last year, so who knows.
i've been surprised at how little ovechkin has gotten on the ice. when the caps have the lead, he pretty much comes off. his comments in public have been 'whatever is best for the team ..." but in private he's got to be pissed.

4/24/2012 3:31 pm  #58

Heard something about his coach wanting shot blockers on the ice, and I guess he doesn't lay out. I can't even imagine a Blues player not blocking shots.... We'd run him out of town.... That's half our game.

Another reason why Boston scares me more than Washington. Defending Cup Champions that know exactly what's needed to win on the big stage. Washington is still having to replace their superstar because he won't sacrifice his body to block a shot.

4/24/2012 5:47 pm  #59

alz wrote:

Heard something about his coach wanting shot blockers on the ice, and I guess he doesn't lay out. I can't even imagine a Blues player not blocking shots.... We'd run him out of town.... That's half our game.

Another reason why Boston scares me more than Washington. Defending Cup Champions that know exactly what's needed to win on the big stage. Washington is still having to replace their superstar because he won't sacrifice his body to block a shot.

you're probably correct, and a big part of the caps' stragegy has been blocking shots, but i'm suspicious about anything dale hunter does. dale hunter has always been about drawing attention to dale hunter. i can't imagine gretzky blocked a lot of shots in his day, but the oilers kept rolling him over the boards. not saying ovechkin belongs in gretzky's class, but he's the most dangerous offensive player in this series.

4/24/2012 10:33 pm  #60

artie_fufkin wrote:

'Assume that Florida, Ottawa and Washington win their series.'

ok if i don't?

No.

4/25/2012 11:16 am  #61

"i've been surprised at how little ovechkin has gotten on the ice. when the caps have the lead, he pretty much comes off. his comments in public have been 'whatever is best for the team ..." but in private he's got to be pissed."

It isn't private anymore.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/7850603/2012-stanley-cup-playoffs-alex-ovechkin-washington-capitals-deals-anger-less-ice-time

4/25/2012 12:28 pm  #62

"Come playoff time, it's always the surprise guys who score the big goals to win the games."

i'd ask brett hull, steve yzerman and bobby orr if they agree.
hunter is an ass. and what makes it worse is he could be the twin brother of the guy from whom we bought our house, who is also an ass.

4/25/2012 12:49 pm  #63

I thought this was the most telling statement

"Hunter says that the particular circumstances of a game -- including which team is leading at the time, and which forward lines Boston has on the ice -- dictate Ovechkin's minutes."

Brilliant.  So you let the other team dictate when your best player plays.

This whole article makes Hunter sound like a buffoon.  He doesn't want Ovechkin on the ice with a lead?  Why not turn a one goal lead into a two goal lead?

4/25/2012 1:35 pm  #64

I agree Fors. I can understand wanting to lock down defense if you're trying to protect a lead, but a great way to remove massive amounts of defensive pressure is to have Ovi roaming the point. No defenseman in their right mind is going to try to hold the blue line or pinch if giving up a breakaway involving Ovechkin is the result of failing on those split second decisions. The result? A less effective forecheck, and Ovi hasn't even needed to block a shot.

That's just me though, and let's face it... My vast experience with playing hockey involves an XBox controller, although I would say that NHL 2K12 is an amazingly accurate depiction of a lot of hockey. I do know that if I'm playing defense (another great thing about this game, you play a character on the ice), then I have to know when one of those damned wingers is trying to slip behind me, even if we have possession, and he will pull me completely out of the attacking zone sometimes just in preparation for a long pass to hit that little cherry picking turd....

4/25/2012 3:46 pm  #65

I guess the folks at ESPN have already given the LA Kings a spot in the Western Conference Finals. Reasons given were basically "If Vancouver can't score on Quick, no possible way St. Louis can."

The notion that we're anything like Vancouver is moronic. There's nothing similar about us. We play defense, kill penalties, block half your shots, and save the other half. We forecheck, backcheck, sidecheck, fromthestandscheck, and anyotherdamnedkindofcheck-check better than Vancouver ever dreamed. Our PP wasn't amazing, but it damned sure was against San Jose. Quick has been great, and I hope he wins the Vizena, but the only reason Elliott didn't win that in a walk is because he only played half the season, so forgive me if I'm not willing to concede victory when I feel I have TWO goalies that play just as well, if not better on my roster. I don't care if you did thump Vancouver, we are not Vancouver.

Goddamn I got trolled by ESPN....

4/25/2012 9:35 pm  #66

dale hunter is a prophet

4/26/2012 10:42 am  #67

Adeiu to Tim Thomas and the Bruins. Another case were I feel the Blues chances were heightened by the result. I'm not really sure I have a rooting interest in Florida/New Jersey, but if Ottawa beats the Rangers tonight, I'll be thrilled.

Artie, I am not sure if you're a Bruins fan or not, but that's possibly the only Boston club I don't despise, and sorry if you were pulling for them.

4/26/2012 11:30 am  #68

alz wrote:

Adeiu to Tim Thomas and the Bruins. Another case were I feel the Blues chances were heightened by the result. I'm not really sure I have a rooting interest in Florida/New Jersey, but if Ottawa beats the Rangers tonight, I'll be thrilled.

Artie, I am not sure if you're a Bruins fan or not, but that's possibly the only Boston club I don't despise, and sorry if you were pulling for them.

i think i was more annoyed by both of the cardinals' losses in chicago this week. i just don't know enough about hockey to develop too much of an emotional investment. it's just kind of fun to watch, especially in the playoffs.

4/26/2012 11:31 am  #69

4/27/2012 3:29 pm  #70

So Nashville and Phoenix square up in Arizona tonight, I'm rooting for goalie injuries, what about y'all?

4/27/2012 9:53 pm  #71

Phx and Nas don't seem to have too much trouble scoring on each other's goalies.

3-2 Phx, 2nd intermission

4/30/2012 9:16 am  #72

Well Game 1 could have went better, we had defensive mistakes on both plays that would have kept those goals from hitting. Lost Petro, although I'm hopeful it's not for more than just game 2. Don't get your heads down though, San Jose won the opener too, let's see how the kids respond tonight.

Nashville down 2-0 now, and Rinne looks human. Almost makes me want to root for them to advance, but I'm comfortable with either team. We just need to get through Los Angeles first.

5/01/2012 9:01 am  #73

Well... FUCK.

Worst period ever. Like what I saw from the second and third periods though. The Blues need to get nasty if they want to win this series. Start hitting people, and hitting them hard. Get back to working people over.

Winning 4 games is nothing to worry about now, just worry about winning game 3.

5/01/2012 11:00 am  #74

Blues are being beaten by a superior team. LA is just as big (or bigger) and just as fast, and has superior offensive talent. The Blues don't have a player who can match Kopitar, and at their best, Richards and Carter are better scorers than anyone on the Blues.

I'd add that the Kings don't appear to have any concern about the Blues offensively.  The Kings are aggressively going after Blues players at the blue line and stopping offensive pressure before it begins.  When the Blues are on the power play, LA is basically conceding that one guy on the opposite side of the ice will be open and attacking the remaining Blues players man-to-man.  The Blues can't get the puck to the open guy.

Major props to Darryl Sutter and the Kings GM.  The addition of Carter at the trade deadline was a bold move, but I'm not sure there's a better team playing hockey right now than the Kings.

Last edited by forsberg_us (5/01/2012 11:13 am)

5/01/2012 12:21 pm  #75

that shorthanded goal kopitar scored last night was phenomenal. the kings are just playing crazy good hockey in the playoffs.

Board footera