You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/19/2010 8:49 am  #1

Holding a lead.

2 straight games now the Blues have jumped an opponent and led 2-0. Granted the Dallas Stars game, it was the end of the 1st period, but that was a big lead to give up to Chicago last night.

We've only failed to get a point in a single game so far, and I like that, but we need to hold the lead better then we did last night. If it comes to a shootout, we don't have the superstars to give us a strong winning chance there.

Meh, minor complaints. We've played 5 games, and have 6 points. That's not bad.

10/19/2010 9:25 am  #2

Re: Holding a lead.

alz wrote:

2 straight games now the Blues have jumped an opponent and led 2-0. Granted the Dallas Stars game, it was the end of the 1st period, but that was a big lead to give up to Chicago last night.

We've only failed to get a point in a single game so far, and I like that, but we need to hold the lead better then we did last night. If it comes to a shootout, we don't have the superstars to give us a strong winning chance there.

Meh, minor complaints. We've played 5 games, and have 6 points. That's not bad.

Maybe not, but it's equally likely we'll be looking back and wishing we had some of these points we should have accumulated early in the season.  Bottom line--they have to win last night and they didn't.

10/19/2010 10:39 am  #3

I agree fors. Not just for the points we threw away, but for the points we gave the other team.

Just to highlight the big deal here, the Blues are 4th in the Division, tied for 6th in the conference. Winning that game outright last night? The Blues are tied for 1st in the Central, and tied for 2nd in the conference. It will open up a bit as the season goes along, but that kind of shit will add up quick.

That game last night was a 3 point swing, a night after we gave a 3 point swing to Dallas. If we hold both leads and win outright? We're the top team in the Western Conference with 8 points (tied with Colorado). That shit really does add up.

Last edited by alz (10/19/2010 10:41 am)

10/19/2010 1:21 pm  #4

Equally important as the points is the team has to get to a point where it knows those games are wins.  When a really good team gets a 2-goal lead, the game is usually over.  When a really good team has a 2-goal lead with under 8 minutes left in the 3rd period, the game is absolutely over.  It's similar to the mentality of a team with a shut-down closer versus a team with a bad bullpen.  The psychological effect of losing these games is almost as bad as the lost points.

10/22/2010 1:44 pm  #5

We'll see what sort of resilience the team has tonight against Chicago.  They need a bounce-back win desparately.

I'm headed to my first game of the season tomorrow night against Pittsburgh.

Board footera