You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/28/2010 11:31 pm  #1

Halak

I realize it's still only October, but this is the first time in a long time I've felt the Blues had a goalie good enough to take them deep in the post-season.  Looks like this was a genius move by Davidson/Armstrong.

It's a good thing Price got off to a good start as well, otherwise the Montreal fans would be ready to run him out of town on a rail.

10/29/2010 8:16 am  #2

Re: Halak

the blues may just be for real. scary good. Winning against great teams, this one last night on the road. consecutive shutouts against the penguins and predators is eye opening.

Here's something really bizarre. I've never seen it before in any sport outside of the first game or two of a season.

Central
Nashville 13
Chicago 13
St. Louis 12
Columbus 12
Detroit 11

Atlantic
Pittsburgh 11
NY Islanders 10
NY Rangers 9
Philadelphia 9
New Jersey 5

Have you ever seen another case where EVERY TEAM in one division was better then the first place team in another division? The Central is going to be brutal tough this season.

LETS GO BLUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10/29/2010 10:24 am  #3

"Have you ever seen another case where EVERY TEAM in one division was better then the first place team in another division?"

Every year from 1967 to about 1974, Alz. The NHL's finite wisdom put all the Original Six teams in the East division and the expansion teams in the West. I don't think any of the West teams won a game in the Finals until they switched the format in the early '70s.
Also, I'd submit that every team in this year's NFC East - despite the Cowboys' difficulties and before the Romo injury - is better than every team in the AFC West AND the NFC West.
Also, there were a few years in the late '70s, after the Vikings made their last Super Bowl appearance and the early '80s before the Bears made their first, that the old NFC Central was truly awful.

10/29/2010 12:29 pm  #4

I meant purely record wise there, sorry for not clarifying. Even in 1967 Detroit finished last with 66 points, while every West team but 1 had a better season mark.

I did not mean to insinuate that Columbus, St. Louis was better then Pittsburgh. I was just highlighting the record anomaly. Usually you'll have a Buffalo Bills dog in the division that shows a clear element of good/bad.

In the Central there is no bad. The Central accounts for #2, #4, #5, #6, #7 in the Western Conference standings.

10/29/2010 12:50 pm  #5

artie_fufkin wrote:

Also, I'd submit that every team in this year's NFC East - despite the Cowboys' difficulties and before the Romo injury - is better than every team in the AFC West AND the NFC West.

No way, Jose. The Chiefs -- the Chiefs! -- are actually a good team (or least a great defensive team that masks a terrible quarterback) and the Rams beat the snot out of Washington.

10/29/2010 2:30 pm  #6

"I meant purely record wise there, sorry for not clarifying. Even in 1967 Detroit finished last with 66 points, while every West team but 1 had a better season mark."

The NHL played an unbalanced schedule that season. The Wings went 11-5-3 against the West.

10/29/2010 2:36 pm  #7

"The Chiefs -- the Chiefs! -- are actually a good team"

They four teams they've beaten are 8-20.

10/29/2010 4:05 pm  #8

Artie my statement isn't about quality of the opponents, strength of schedule, lacing of the skates, origins of the owners, or anything other than the record mark.

I cannot recall ever seeing any sport standing where every team in a division has the same or better mark as the first place team in another division. Let's focus on the record, the whole record and nothing but the record. That anomally is wierd to me, highly unique.

Name me that, any major sport at any other time where at least 8 contests have occured

NHL/NBA/MLB/NFL/MLS/NCAAF/NCAAB

Where this has happened before.

10/29/2010 4:16 pm  #9

alz wrote:

Artie my statement isn't about quality of the opponents, strength of schedule, lacing of the skates, origins of the owners, or anything other than the record mark.

I cannot recall ever seeing any sport standing where every team in a division has the same or better mark as the first place team in another division. Let's focus on the record, the whole record and nothing but the record. That anomally is wierd to me, highly unique.

Name me that, any major sport at any other time where at least 8 contests have occured

NHL/NBA/MLB/NFL/MLS/NCAAF/NCAAB

Where this has happened before.

I'll get on those MLS records straightaway, though it's hard to take any league seriously when teams named the "Wiz" and the "Burn" play each other.

10/29/2010 5:04 pm  #10

How exactly did my thread about the Blues goalie get hikacked into a pissing contest about whether or not it burns when Alz whizzes?

Focus people, focus

Last edited by forsberg_us (10/29/2010 5:04 pm)

10/29/2010 9:31 pm  #11

forsberg_us wrote:

How exactly did my thread about the Blues goalie get hikacked into a pissing contest about whether or not it burns when Alz whizzes?

Focus people, focus

If Alz wasn't so promiscuous, no one would have thought of it in the first place.

11/01/2010 7:51 am  #12

I wouldn't say it burns. Just a mild discomfort is all, it's not full blown raging STD's yet.

11/01/2010 10:04 am  #13

Let's get back to the Blues. Atlanta up 3-1 going late into the 3rd periood, and McClement working the garbage areas to grind out 2 goals. After a whirlwind of non scoring OT, the shootout ends 2-0 Blues on Oshie/Boyes goals.

This is pretty much the same thing that Chicago did to us a while back. Nice to get those points back on another game. Nice to see a lot of things actually. Great game for the Blues to bounce back from an awful 1st period. Including a goal concession with 2.7 seconds left in the period (that's shorter than it takes me to have sex, not by much, but still. No way you should be giving up goals in that little window).

9 games in, we're 1 point behind the 13 games in Chicago Blackhawks. Keep going Blues, keep going!

11/01/2010 6:07 pm  #14

alz wrote:

Let's get back to the Blues. Atlanta up 3-1 going late into the 3rd periood, and McClement working the garbage areas to grind out 2 goals. After a whirlwind of non scoring OT, the shootout ends 2-0 Blues on Oshie/Boyes goals.

This is pretty much the same thing that Chicago did to us a while back. Nice to get those points back on another game. Nice to see a lot of things actually. Great game for the Blues to bounce back from an awful 1st period. Including a goal concession with 2.7 seconds left in the period (that's shorter than it takes me to have sex, not by much, but still. No way you should be giving up goals in that little window).

9 games in, we're 1 point behind the 13 games in Chicago Blackhawks. Keep going Blues, keep going!

Oshie's move on the shootout goal was freakin' sick.  And Boyes did exactly what Pang said he was going to do.  It has to suck to be a goalie, have a pretty strong sense as to what the player is going to do and have him beat you anyway.

11/02/2010 9:05 am  #15

It's fun to watch a great big slapshot, but if you've ever really watched a good wrister, that's a rare talent. On some people, it's just lightning quick, barely any movement, but now this puck is whistling by at 65-80 mph. Sakic had an insane wrister, you could watch him in ultra super slow mo, and only then you can kind of see the weight shift and the flex of his stick right before this little howitzer comes out. It kind of defies physics that you can generate that much torque on something without a big windup.

At least with the slap shot you can see the wind up, you know it's coming. With the wrister? It's just on you before you even know it's been shot.

Board footera