You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/16/2013 9:43 pm  #1

1/17/2013 9:55 am  #2

Re: For TK

Is that you playing guitar?

1/17/2013 4:07 pm  #3

yes.

1/17/2013 6:27 pm  #4

Very nice!

1/17/2013 9:33 pm  #5

Thanks, TK.

The woman is my wife, and she has asked me for a divorce.

Sorry I am such a downer, guys.  There was no warning, and I am crushed.  I thought we would be holding hands on the sofa, watching our grandchildren opening Christmas presents, and I am still wrestling with scenarios where this is just the temporary by product of exhaustion and numerous extraneous circumstances.

Last edited by Max (1/17/2013 9:34 pm)

1/17/2013 9:42 pm  #6

For the record, here is the public facebook event page for the event I planned for tomorrow to celebrate her birthday and the release of her second CD:

https://www.facebook.com/events/459300094129041/

1/17/2013 9:45 pm  #7

That's terrible news, Max. Wish there was something I could do other than offer moral support from 3,000 miles away. Just keep thinking every tomorrow will be better than today.

1/17/2013 9:49 pm  #8

Thanks, Artie/Darth/Gordo.

My friend from high school, the ex-wife of my best friend from high school, who is now a professional MSW, reminds me that my girls, 13 and 5, were conceived in love and hope, and that I need to act my age and provide them with the stabilitynthey need, regardless of the circumstances, but the temptation to move to Mongolia and live in a cave is strong.

1/18/2013 9:49 am  #9

I just went through that myself Max. I can't tell you it's going to be okay, the fact is it just sucks. You're going to have things bother you that you never even dreamed about. Like seeing the marks in the carpet where a piece of furniture used to be. You can quite easily find yourself lined up for an anti-depressant prescription, sleeping medication, or do something stupid while walking around like a zombie. Be very careful and attentive while driving specifically and do not let your mind wander.

Also, do the following.
1) Try to eat something, even if you aren't hungry.
2) Cry if you need to, let that shit out man, then compose yourself.
3) Get your friends to take you out to happy hours and drinks (1-2 times a week if need be, just get the hell out of the house and hit on the waitress/bartender. Don't expect it to go anywhere, but it's hyper manly, and will ease the difficulty).
4) Get an attorney. Too many people end up sacrificing more then they should trying to do what's right, and end up just screwing themselves for the next 10-15 years. Let the legal guys do their job.
5) Pop off in here, everyone here will definitely be understanding, sympathetic, and happy to divert you with discussions of sports/gun control/music/famous people dying.
6) Not immediately mind you, but in a month or two or three, get laid. I'm not saying jump into a relationship, but find a rebound. It does help.
7) Give yourself a trip or something that your ex-wife wouldn't let you have/do. Man cave? Vegas? For my first wife it was DirecTV, for my second it was my smartphone. Treat yourself to a couple of things that you were denied.
8) It's a very scary place to be mentally, and reach out when things are tough. You'll quickly find out just how true and dear your friends are, and it will be a positive in a world with a lot of negatives.

I think that's all I can come up with for now.

Seriously man, I've been divorced twice, and the first was her leaving for a man in her college class. Took my daughter with her, and looking back, it's a miracle I got through it without hurting myself or others. The second? That was a pretty short marriage (2 years) and the person she turned out to be was nothing like the woman I had originally married. I was pissed for about 2 weeks, and then glad to be rid of her.

1/18/2013 11:53 am  #10

My condolences on your situation, Max.

1/18/2013 1:55 pm  #11

Sorry to hear that Max.  Life sucks sometimes and everyone has their own shit.  Everyone gets through it.  You just got to keep your head up. 

1/19/2013 3:16 pm  #12

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions, gentlemen.  She leaves tomorrow for a 10 day trip to visit her sister in OK, where she can decompress away from me and the kids.  Hopefully she gets enough rest to consider alternatives to divorce.  I am hoping my sister-in-law and her husband will provide some gentle assistance.  But who knows, mabe I am in denial?  I will know more after she returns.  

In the meantime, I think my unemployed status will finally work in my favor.  Since she has been the prime breadwinner, and supporting me, for 3.5 years, I am hoping that any discussion of alimony and child support from me to her are out of the question, in the event that we proceed with divorce.  We have nothing of any major value, so I am not too concerned what happens to the joint property.

The kids are another issue.  When this first came out, back in late November, I was blindsided by it, and overwhelmed by the sweeping dishonesty of it all, in spite of my best efforts to promote open communication, and I resolved that if she went through with it I would insist that 100% custody be given to either she or I, and that I would then move away and vow never to see her again, or even have contact with the kids until, if they chose, after they turned 18. Well, since then, a few people, including my first girlfriend ever, successfully lectured me on how narcissistic and immature that was, and they are right of course. The thing is, while there is no indication at this time that there is another guy involved in her current actions, it will only be a matter of time until there is if we split.  She's very attractive and well-liked, and I have had to do a fair amount of gentle mate-gaurding even in the best of times.  So, once she's officially on the market she will be surrounded like flies on shit . . . and I really don't want to be around to see that.

Anyhow, I am still trying to maintain some optimism that this will get sorted out successfully.  We went through a major crises back in 2002, where she moved out for 4.5 months and dated other guys.  We began the divorce process then, but that takes a couple of months in Indonesia, as it has mutliple steps.  We were headed toward the final step, and I had her over to my apartment to start dividing our things.  She had a change of heart, and our relationship got much better.

1/19/2013 3:24 pm  #13

Alz, there's a song by Stan Ridgway called "Walkin' Home Alone"* that does a poignant job of capturing the emotion of seeing things like the impression in the carpet where a piece of furniture no longer is.  

My wife and I were standing at the bar last night, and a woman we had met once before--very attractive--started telling me her marriage was on the rocks but that her husband does not yet know.  That sparked an inspired response from me, I told her she needs to hear from a guy's perspective what to say, and I gave her my contact info, right in front of my wife and told her to get in touch while my wife is out of town. A tinge of jealousy helped draw my wife back in 2002, when we almost divorced. 

I won't do anything stupid that would sabotage any lingering hope we have, but I hold out some hope that I still have enough appeal to the ladies that I will be able to score some ego-stroking meaningless sex, if and when the breakup occurs.  And, I have a friend trying to hook me up with a job in Bangkok, and there are many worse places in the world to rebound from a failed marriage than Bangkok!

*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK8_p69XyCE

Last edited by Max (1/19/2013 5:27 pm)

1/22/2013 1:04 am  #14

OK.  So the attractive girl from the story above shows up on this, the first night while my W is on vacation.  We start to talking and yada3, she tells me (1) she and her H have decided to divorce, and (2) her daughter resembles the Korean WOMAN with whom she had an affair.  CHA CHING.  Cannot lose.  I am in good shape.  Think about football, and then March Madness.  All is well here in the PNW, guys.  :-)

Last edited by Max (1/22/2013 1:04 am)

1/22/2013 10:21 am  #15

Max wrote:

OK.  So the attractive girl from the story above shows up on this, the first night while my W is on vacation.  We start to talking and yada3, she tells me (1) she and her H have decided to divorce, and (2) her daughter resembles the Korean WOMAN with whom she had an affair.  CHA CHING.  Cannot lose.  I am in good shape.  Think about football, and then March Madness.  All is well here in the PNW, guys.  :-)

Well this has taken an encouraging Penthouse Forum-esque turn.

1/22/2013 10:38 am  #16

I never thought I'd be writing but....

1/22/2013 9:07 pm  #17

alz wrote:

I never thought I'd be writing but....

So . . . write already.

1/22/2013 9:15 pm  #18

artie_fufkin wrote:

Max wrote:

Well this has taken an encouraging Penthouse Forum-esque turn.

God, I must have drunk more than I thought that night to have written that.  I don't even remember writing it.

Seriously, that woman is not for me.  I still remain optimistic my wife will get her senses back and realize she's acting crazy.  It runs in the family, her mother was awful to her dad, and her sister has put her husband(s) through some shitty times.  

My wife is now off doing her thinking, returning on the 29th.  I haven't spoken of our problems with many people, because I don't want to pollute the waters with people who know us, in case she regains her senses.  In the meantime, her mother made an inappropriate comment on FB, saying she hoped my wife would pick and move into her sister's house.  I discovered that comment yesterday as I was headed out the door to my gig.  That woman has caused us more grief with her meddling.  The problems we are going through today are rooted in the fact that she forbade her daughter to date me, way back in the day (1996).  We found our way through that, but the tangential bullshit that it caused has continued to ripple through our lives.

Last edited by Max (1/22/2013 9:17 pm)

1/23/2013 10:17 am  #19

"I must have drunk more than I thought that night to have written that.  I don't even remember writing it."

Ahhh, we've all had our nights when we've consumed every liquid in the house short of Pine-Sol.

"In the meantime, her mother made an inappropriate comment on FB, saying she hoped my wife would pick and move into her sister's house."

Sounds like getting your mother-in-law and my mother-in-law together would be the equivalent of joining the Gatekeeper and the Keymaster in "Ghostbusters."

1/23/2013 10:36 am  #20

"Ahhh, we've all had our nights when we've consumed every liquid in the house short of Pine-Sol. "

Yeah like sunday.  Is to normal to wake up feeling hungover 2 mornings later?  What happen to the days when I could grab 6 hours sleep and put in a full day of manual labor?

1/23/2013 11:20 am  #21

APIAD wrote:

"Ahhh, we've all had our nights when we've consumed every liquid in the house short of Pine-Sol. "

Yeah like sunday.  Is to normal to wake up feeling hungover 2 mornings later?  What happen to the days when I could grab 6 hours sleep and put in a full day of manual labor?

It certainly is... It's called drinking like your 22, when you're 37....

1/23/2013 11:30 am  #22

Fuck I am not close to 37 yet.  I hope it doesnt get much worst.  I am glad I olny tie one on a handfull of times a year.  If I was a weekend warrior Id die.

1/23/2013 12:44 pm  #23

I'll be 49 in another month or so.  I try not to drink past legal limit when I am out--two drinks, plus one per hour--but sometimes I'll come home and start drinking the cheap red wine.  I had skipped dinner that night, too.  Trying to get back down to my fighting weight.  I don't really fight, of course, but I am the same height as Sugar Ray Leonard; a few years back I saw a rerun of one of his fights, and I noticed he looked pretty cut when at his fighting weight of 65 kg.  I had been up as high as 80, but am down to 73, and losing about a kg per week.  Whether to help convince my wife to stay or else to prepare for hitting the market, it won't be a bad thing to lose the belly flab and add some muscle mass to my scrawny frame.  So, at 5' 11", my goal is 65 kg.

1/23/2013 1:18 pm  #24

Odd coincedence. Max, I was as high as 287 last year when I finally decided enough was enough. When I separated I was at 257. I'm 219 now. Goal is 200. I'm 6'1, 200 is a good weight for me.

1/23/2013 1:34 pm  #25

"my goal is 65 kg."

What's that in American? About 25 pounds? Seems kinda scrawny.

Board footera