You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/04/2013 2:55 pm  #26

Re: Bar Mitzvah thread

"You could fund a very nice wedding for what you are spending.  On the plus side, you have to have it to spend it, so kudos to you for having saved up enough to be able to afford to throw shindig like this."

I wish I could accept your compliment, but that would be dishonest on my part. We're re-financing our house and while we're getting two points off the rate, the money we're taking out makes the whole thing about even. And that's just what we've accounted for. Every time my wife has another idea, it ends up costing us more money.

3/11/2013 10:50 am  #27

Five days to go. This weekend's tussle was over the catering list. There were four beers on it: Coors Light, Sam Adams, Heineken, and something called O'Doul's, which is apparently a beer without alcohol. Like there's a friggin' point to that.
The crux of my argument is there ought to be a brand of beer I like available at an open bar I'm paying for. Is that unreasonable?

3/11/2013 1:53 pm  #28

"The crux of my argument is there ought to be a brand of beer I like available at an open bar I'm paying for. Is that unreasonable?"

If Sheryl disagrees, yes.

3/11/2013 2:40 pm  #29

forsberg_us wrote:

"The crux of my argument is there ought to be a brand of beer I like available at an open bar I'm paying for. Is that unreasonable?"

If Sheryl disagrees, yes.

The list of beer varieties - or lack thereof - is apparently standard for the venue, and anything else is a "special request" that incurs an extra cost (of course). After I made my (one and only one thus far) complaint known, the person who is running the event volunteered to grab a case of Corona on his way to the reception. Faced with the prospect of being charged the likes of $200 for a $25 case of beer, I've threatened to throw a cooler in the back of her SUV and stop at a liquor store on the way.
The rabbi is on my softball team anyway, so we'll just pretend it's the usual mid-summer post-game tailgate. I don't think Sheryl will be too offended.

3/11/2013 5:18 pm  #30

artie_fufkin wrote:

Five days to go. This weekend's tussle was over the catering list. There were four beers on it: Coors Light, Sam Adams, Heineken, and something called O'Doul's, which is apparently a beer without alcohol. Like there's a friggin' point to that.
The crux of my argument is there ought to be a brand of beer I like available at an open bar I'm paying for. Is that unreasonable?

what brand would that be?

3/11/2013 6:18 pm  #31

APIAD wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

what brand would that be?

Any of about three dozen not on the aforementioned list. Coors and Sam Adams products give me a headache the next day, Heineken smells like perfume, and non-alcoholic beer isn't even part of the discussion.

3/11/2013 7:27 pm  #32

id drink coors.  if there is an open bar i expevt to have a headache the next day.

3/18/2013 10:14 am  #33

So the big day came and went without incident. Zachary was stellar, and my wife's team at work was phenomenal. About two minutes after I arrived, the head of catering came up to me and handed me a freshly-poured Corona (no lime) and said "You look like you could use one of these."
The only hiccup was at the end. I took the bus back with the kids, and Zach and I hung around to make sure they had all been picked up by their parents. We then looked around an empty parking lot, and realized the two of us didn't have a ride home. Fortunately, our house is only about a 10-minute walk from the temple. We must have been a sight. We're both wearing suits, except Zach has accessorized with the standard Bar Mitzvah bling - flashing sunglasses, flashing rings on each finger and an over-sized Cowboy hat with a brim that lights up with white light. We're almost home, and Zach sees a guy walking toward us by himself the other direction. Remember, it's about 1 a.m. Zach says to me "Do you think that's a weirdo?" Me: "Zach, in this scenario, I think we're the weirdos."

3/18/2013 11:57 am  #34

Lol, glad everything went well.  

Board footera