You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/11/2013 8:18 am  #1

World Cup.

The US is in. I was a little shocked at how badly Mexico looked yesterday, they really did next to nothing after the first 20 minutes of the first half.

However, it's official now, after so many months of qualifying, the US is in the 2014 World Cup!

9/11/2013 9:01 am  #2

Re: World Cup.

I'm almost as excited by the prospect of Mexico not making it as the US getting in, after that pre-game interview with Guardado whining about how much better they are than the Americans. 

9/11/2013 10:20 am  #3

The curse of DVR.... I came to it well after kickoff and started from the first second. I could barely understand the Mexican announcer at times...

Am I wrong, or is the USA lined up to come in as the #1 CONCACAF seed? Does that help us draw an easier group stage, or no?

9/11/2013 11:14 am  #4

alz wrote:

The curse of DVR.... I came to it well after kickoff and started from the first second. I could barely understand the Mexican announcer at times...

Am I wrong, or is the USA lined up to come in as the #1 CONCACAF seed? Does that help us draw an easier group stage, or no?

In essence, you're correct, but where they finish in the hex doesn't really matter. The draw is all about world rankings. The U.S. is currently ranked 19th. If they win their last two, they'll most likely end up in Pot 2, and get picked for a group with at least one European team and at least one South American team. A good group for them would be, say, Colombia, Denmark and Iran. If they lose either of their last two and end up in Pot 3, they're inviting a Group of Death scenario. They could end up with Brazil, England and Nigeria.

9/11/2013 12:45 pm  #5

Okay I guess the draw is a lottery pick system, where Brazil is in Group A, team 1.

How do rankings factor into this? I can't find anything online that explains this process well at all.

9/11/2013 1:20 pm  #6

alz wrote:

Okay I guess the draw is a lottery pick system, where Brazil is in Group A, team 1.

How do rankings factor into this? I can't find anything online that explains this process well at all.

It's a weighted lottery system. There are 32 teams in the WC. They are broken down into four "pots" of eight teams each, based on FIFA's world rankings formula, which involves each team's performance since the last World Cup. The top eight teams in the rankings that qualify for the tournament are in Pot 1, the next eight are in Pot 2, and so forth. 
For the group phase, one team from each pot is taken in a random draw. Someone (usually a past WC star) will literally pull ping-pong balls out of a pot (hence the terminology) and place them in groups. But there are exceptions. You can't be in a first round group with a team for your own confederation (except Europe, since 13 teams qualify and there has to be some overlap). 
They do this so, say, Spain, Holland, Germany and Italy all don't end up in the same group and two of the better Euro teams are knocked out in the first round.

9/13/2013 8:13 am  #7

Interesting, and makes sense I suppose. That puts the us in the 3rd ring regardless of what we do really.

9/13/2013 9:35 am  #8

alz wrote:

Interesting, and makes sense I suppose. That puts the us in the 3rd ring regardless of what we do really.

The good news is the rankings were updated on Thursday and we've moved up to 13th, which would put us in the second tier. 

9/13/2013 12:31 pm  #9

oh snap, that is good news!

I'm seriously hoping we improve from 2010 when we were knocked out by Ghana. I think we're a better team than that one was, but you never know with the World Cup. Drop one game you should win in the group stage, and you're in trouble.

10/16/2013 9:32 am  #10

I was watching baseball, but it was a wacky night in CONCACAF. All of Mexico is hailing the U.S. for keeping their hopes alive. Maybe the Mexican fans won't chuck bottles of urine at our guys when we play them down there anymore.
Here's who's in:
Europe

Belgium, Italy, Germany, Holland, Switzerland, Russia, Bosnia, England, Spain

(Plus four from play-off teams - Croatia, Sweden, Romania, Iceland, Portugal, Ukraine, Greece, France)

South America

Brazil (hosts), Argentina, Colombia, Ecuador, Chile

North/Central America

United States, Costa Rica, Honduras

Asia

Japan, Australia, Iran, South Korea

Africa*

Ivory Coast v Senegal (3-1)
Ethiopia v Nigeria (1-2)
Tunisia v Cameroon (0-0)
Ghana v Egypt (6-1)
Burkina Faso v Algeria (3-2)

*second legs to be played between November 16 and 19.

Inter continental play-off

Jordan v Uruguay

Inter continental play-off

Mexico v New Zealand

Last edited by artie_fufkin (10/16/2013 9:32 am)

10/16/2013 11:22 am  #11

Really have to feel bad for Panama, that was pretty heartbreaking... First the mexican bicycle kick and then the US scores two in extra time to beat them and kick them out of the World Cup.

I guess some of them were miffed we tried to win that game, having no need to do so, but we played almost none of our starters, and they were playing highly aggressive with a lead in stoppage time, and the kids we WERE playing were trying to get jobs. I can't see us throwing that game just to eliminate a pretty piss poor mexican squad who won't be playing in mexico even if they make the world cup (it's in brazil).

10/16/2013 12:33 pm  #12

alz wrote:

Really have to feel bad for Panama, that was pretty heartbreaking... First the mexican bicycle kick and then the US scores two in extra time to beat them and kick them out of the World Cup.

I guess some of them were miffed we tried to win that game, having no need to do so, but we played almost none of our starters, and they were playing highly aggressive with a lead in stoppage time, and the kids we WERE playing were trying to get jobs. I can't see us throwing that game just to eliminate a pretty piss poor mexican squad who won't be playing in mexico even if they make the world cup (it's in brazil).

The Mexican team is probably lucky a foreigner who doesn't have the same animosity toward them is the U.S. coach. Bradley or Arena probably would have sent the Kirkwood High junior varsity to Panama if things were going to turn out the way they did. Of course you're right that there's the integrity of the qualification process to consider. Maybe New Zealand will knock ouf Mexico.

10/16/2013 2:26 pm  #13

artie_fufkin wrote:

alz wrote:

The Mexican team is probably lucky a foreigner who doesn't have the same animosity toward them is the U.S. coach. Bradley or Arena probably would have sent the Kirkwood High junior varsity to Panama if things were going to turn out the way they did. Of course you're right that there's the integrity of the qualification process to consider. Maybe New Zealand will knock ouf Mexico.

Rec. although it's a soccer post, so it won't get much love, but that was hilarious Artie. I laughed.

11/20/2013 1:29 pm  #14

So 31 of the 32 teams are set, with only Uruguay's perfunctoy elimination of Jordan today remaining.
Prior to the draw against Scotland and the loss to Austria last night, the U.S. and A. was ranked 13th, and they'll probably end up 15th, which should be good enough to keep them in Pot 2 and be relatively assured of not being involved in a Group of Death scenario.

The seeding should shake out approximately:
Pot 1
Brazil
Spain
Germany
Argentina
Colombia
Belgium
Uruguay
Switzerland

Pot 2
Italy
Netherlands
England
Chile
USA
Portugal
Greece
Bosnia-Herz

Pot 3
Ivory Coast
Croatia
Russia
France
Ecuador
Ghana
Mexico
Costa Rica

Pot 4
Algeria
Nigeria
Honduras
Japan
Iran
South Korean
Australia
Cameroon

The ideal draw would be, say, the Swiss, Ecuador and Australia.
Spain, France and Japan would be a problem ...

11/21/2013 9:51 am  #15

Yeah I was curious how the last two games would affect us. Until then, we'd had a pretty solid case to even move up a little higher in the rankings (although not to 7th which would have been the A pod cutoff since Brazil isn't in the top 8).

Hopefully we don't fall past 16th because of it.

11/21/2013 10:49 am  #16

alz wrote:

Yeah I was curious how the last two games would affect us. Until then, we'd had a pretty solid case to even move up a little higher in the rankings (although not to 7th which would have been the A pod cutoff since Brazil isn't in the top 8).

Hopefully we don't fall past 16th because of it.

The USA will be 14th when the updated rankings come out next week.
Portugal and Greece will pass them, but they'll pass Chile, and they're comfortably ahead of B-H and Ivory Coast.
It also looks like Portugal will move up to Pot 1, and Switzerland will move down. Sucks when you lose to South Korea.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (11/21/2013 10:49 am)

12/05/2013 2:47 pm  #17

This is bad. For reasons that are perplexing to me, FIFA has decided to do an entirely different draw that aligns the bottom three pots more by region than rankings. Pot 1 stays the same - the top seven teams and the host team. Pot 2 combines the African qualifiers and the non-seeded South American teams, Pot 3 is the CONCACAF/Asian teams, and Pot 4 is the non-seeded UEFA teams.
(You'll notice there are seven teams in Pot 2 and nine in Pot 4. One of the Pot 4 teams will be randomly drawn into Pot 2.)
This is bad news, because the U.S. is clearly the best team in Pot 3. They're going to be drawn into a group with a seeded team, an unseeded European team and an African team or an unseeded South American team. 
All the possibilities aren't bad. The U.S. could end up with Switzerland, Cameroon and Greece. But they're more likely going to wind up with something like Argentina, Ghana and France. Worst case: Spain, Chile and Italy or Netherlands. 

Pot 1
Brazil
Argentina
Colombia
Uruguay
Belgium
Germany
Spain
Switzerland

Pot 2
Algeria
Cameroon
Côte d'Ivoire
Ghana
Nigeria
Chile
Ecuador

Pot 3
Australia
Iran
Japan
Korea Republic
Costa Rica
Honduras
Mexico
USA

Pot 4
Bosnia-Herzegovina
Croatia
England
France
Greece
Italy
Netherlands
Portugal
Russia

12/06/2013 12:20 pm  #18

Portugal, Germany and Ghana. Could have been worse. But not much.

12/06/2013 12:38 pm  #19

yeah ..... fuckkkkkkkkkkk

12/06/2013 12:44 pm  #20

Guessing they didn't use the Nov 28 rankings? Portugal (5) and Germany (2) in the same group?

Meh, actually it doesn't worry me. I think we can beat Portugal and Ghana. Let's see if they can.

12/06/2013 12:47 pm  #21

Wow, Costa Rica has a fun group... Uruguay, England, Italy.

12/09/2013 10:28 am  #22

"I think we can beat Portugal and Ghana"

Before Rinaldo arrived, Portugal was historically an underacheiving team. The problem for the U.S. is his strength - attacking from the wings - is the U.S.' weakness.
The key is the first game against Ghana. If the U.S. loses, they're done. Three points won't be enough to advance. Four might get you to the next round in this group, though.

12/09/2013 10:55 am  #23

alz wrote:

Wow, Costa Rica has a fun group... Uruguay, England, Italy.

Yeah, there was apparently a lot of English angst over that draw. Italy makes it through for sure, and it will come down to the England/Uruguay game to see who gets the other spot. For all their talent up front and their reputation, the Uruguayans finished fifth in the South American qualifying group and had to beat Jordan to make it to the field of 32. 
And this is not an overwhelming English side. Joe Hart is no one's idea of a first-choice goalkeeper, they're weak in the back, old in the middle and with the exception of Rooney don't have a proven striker on the international level. Sturridge is supposed ot be the Next Big Thing, but English expectations and reality almost always don't meet.
Costa Rica is obviously the minnow of the group, but they finished second in the CONCACAF Hex and it would be unwise to sleep on them. Bryan Oviedo and Bryan Ruiz both play in the Prem, and their goalkeeper plays on a good team in La Liga. 

12/10/2013 3:42 pm  #24

I know looking at the rankings calling a win over Portugal seems seriously optimistic, even homer-ish.

Ghana has to be a win. Then it's up to the result of Portual or Germany, and .... I think we have a much better chance of beating Portugal....

12/10/2013 6:28 pm  #25

alz wrote:

I know looking at the rankings calling a win over Portugal seems seriously optimistic, even homer-ish.

Ghana has to be a win. Then it's up to the result of Portual or Germany, and .... I think we have a much better chance of beating Portugal....

The U.S. will definitely be underdogs against Portugal, but remember Portugal didn't win its qualifying group and needed two goals in the last 15 minutes against Sweden in their playoff to make it to the WC finals. Their entire offense revolves around Rinaldo and if he's hurt or he pouts or he gets a red card for kicking someone in shins, they're a beatable side.
I've already written off the Germany game, even though the U.S. beat a version of them this year. At full strength, they're solid at every position. A draw would be almost miraculous.

Board footera