You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/04/2013 8:18 am  #1

Blues season thoughts

Game 1: I liked the creativity displayed by Roy and the rest of the Blues. There were some plays where I saw "the extra pass" and chasing Rinne 6 shots into a game is no small feat. I saw some flashes from Tarasenko that impressed me, and the overall play of the Blues was comfortable.

I didn't like the Predators forecheck, it was relentless and we had problems clearing the zone for a few very long stretches. It happens, but I'm not really used to seeing the Blues outworked. A lot of mishandling with the puck on both sides, but that's something I just chalk up to guys getting used to being back on the ice in a game.

81 to go, hopefully the Blues can put that type of performance up regularly, I think they may be better than last season.

10/09/2013 10:20 am  #2

Re: Blues season thoughts

Game 2: I actually waited to post much on this (seeing if I could lure Fors into this, there's no use resisting Fors, hockey is still the greatest game to watch, even if the NHL drives you apeshit!)

Panthers and a 7-0 result that involved Jaden getting a Gordie Howe hatty (+ an extra assist for good measure), Steen with a brilliant move on a penalty shot, and Ryan Reaves going down on a two on one, keeping it (what??) and ROOFING the put short side over the goalies shoulder (I'm sorry say that again???). Not bad from our resident boxer on skates. I'm going to highlight his work specifically, because he doesn't normally get his name mentioned for anything but his fists, and it was a marvelous effort.

Was just a great all around effort from the Blues, and Florida was overmatched by every line out there.

80 left, big game tonight vs the Hawks and that's a shame because the Cardinals game will (and rightfully so) overshadow it. I'll be watching them both however from a nice cozy spot at a bar somewhere.

10/09/2013 10:59 am  #3

"Panthers and a 7-0 result"

I don't think Tim Thomas v.2 is going to last very long.

10/09/2013 11:21 am  #4

artie_fufkin wrote:

I think he was responsible for 3 goals, and 2 of them he didn't have much of a chance.

Last postseason the Blues seemed to rattle every chance hitting a crossbar, a post, just missing the net, but VERY good chances. To this point this year, they aren't missing those.

Back to Thomas though, he's pretty strange, even by goalie standards, dude is just wierd. Highly political, and quit for a year because he "wasn't feeling it". Then he watched others play in the playoffs, and he's feeling it again. Since he doesn't play for us, or our immediately concerning rivals, I haven't really given him much thought, but he seems like a complete headjob.

10/09/2013 11:58 am  #5

alz wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

I think he was responsible for 3 goals, and 2 of them he didn't have much of a chance.

Last postseason the Blues seemed to rattle every chance hitting a crossbar, a post, just missing the net, but VERY good chances. To this point this year, they aren't missing those.

Back to Thomas though, he's pretty strange, even by goalie standards, dude is just wierd. Highly political, and quit for a year because he "wasn't feeling it". Then he watched others play in the playoffs, and he's feeling it again. Since he doesn't play for us, or our immediately concerning rivals, I haven't really given him much thought, but he seems like a complete headjob.

He's hockey's version of Steve Carlton. The Hockey News is going to do a story 15 years from now about him living in a cave.
I didn't have too much of a problem with him blowing off Obama. The same people who criticized him probably would have considered someone else a hero if they had blown off Bush in a similar situation.
I was, however, disturbed that he walked out on his teammates. That was poor form.

10/10/2013 8:26 am  #6

Game 3: Home vs Chicago, two unbeatens collide. This score was close, but the game really wasn't that insane. Chicago didn't really mount a ton of sustained pressure, but found some rare chances and took full advantage of their skill when they did.

All the hard work paid off for the Blues when they got a "FUCK YOU" go ahead goal with 22 seconds left in the contest, giving us two points and giving Chicago zero.

Notes. Backes is not slow starting this season, that's a very good thing for us.

Notes II. I want a Tarasenko jersey.

10/16/2013 8:56 am  #7

Game 4: It's over at least. The undefeated Sharks scored early, and often, 2 goals in each period. Not even distracted by a first period fight that sent two of their guys off with game misconducts in addition to Reaves.

I wasn't watching, and I believe that attributed to the loss. Damn you DirecTV, I shouldn't have to pay 145.00 a month to get NBCS...

11/07/2013 11:55 am  #8

Been a bit of a long while since I posted, but the Blues are still going strong.

9-2-2 after 13 games, and another coming tonight against Calgary. All in all I've been very impressed with the Blues season, and they seem to be a much more polished team with all the peices working. I have no idea if this will continue or if injuries will step in, but this is a team that has to be on a pretty short list of Stanley Cup hopefuls in the West. They seem much better than last season with the additions of Roy/Bowmeester/Lapierre. Magnus Paajarvi hasn't really been much yet, but he's injured right now and only has 4 games in to date.

Looking bright for the note, Keep going guys!

11/25/2013 1:40 am  #9

16-3-3. By and large a strong team. No real glaring weakness, they play dirty but they can dazzle too. The work very hard, specifically on powerplay faceoffs and answering a goal.

A lot to like about this team, and they seem to have settled on a goalie and not platooning the position.

60 games to go, first 22 are good enough for the best winning percentage in hockey

1/10/2014 10:33 am  #10

Just an update. The Blues have caught Chicago in points, despite playing three less games, and only trail Anaheim (Also has played 3 more games than St. Louis) by 4 points for the number 1 spot in the NHL.

A Presidents Trophy is beginning to look like a very real possibility. Alex Steen is still missing with a concussion, but the team is playing amazing hockey and won 7 straight games at the present heading into Vancouver tonight.

Since they were just in Calgary yesterday, I don't know that I expect a win (I don't like playing on consecutive days... The second is always difficult). However, it's been a season of high hopes, so why not?

The Blues have 10 Olympians on their team, as does Chicago.

2/26/2014 11:02 am  #11

Fresh off the Olympic break, the Blues look to continue a great season. 84 points over 57 games and they trail only Anaheim in the NHL (87 points over 60 games).

Tonight kicks off a road series which won't see them back at St. Louis until March 4th. Three games @Vancouver, @Anaheim, and @Phoenix.

All are decent to good hockey clubs, and it's a good opportunity for the Blues to put some really important points on their board.

LGB. --RIP Fors. Miss you in here.

2/28/2014 11:20 pm  #12

Looks like the Blues have gone all in.

3/01/2014 2:57 pm  #13

"LGB. --RIP Fors. Miss you in here."

Sorry Alz. I have been completely apathetic about hockey the entire season, I haven't been to a game all season, and don't think I've even watched one on TV from start to finish. The way the organization treated long-time fans completely soured me. I really just don't care.

3/03/2014 9:00 am  #14

I know man, I just miss ya.

3/03/2014 12:28 pm  #15

The other part of it, and I'm sure Artie can relate, is when your kids get older, there simply isn't any time to do much of anything except drive them to/from their activities.  It's bad during the season, but then it gets insane when the seasons overlap.  We're finally coming out of basketball season which will slow things down a bit, but to give you an idea, this was our schedule last week

Monday- Bob- school team basketball practice (after school), football weight lifting 6-7:30.  Madison- piano lessons 7-7:45
Tuesday- Bob and Madison PSR (Catholic religion classes) 6:30-8
Wednesday- Bob- football weight lifting; Madison- softball practice 6:30-8:30.
Thursday- Bob- CYC team basketball practice 8-9:15
Friday- Bob- school team basketball game 3:30 and 5:30.  Madison- basketball game 7:00
Saturday- Bob- CYC team basketball game 9:00 a.m.; Madison- basketball game 11:00
Sunday- Bob CYC team basketball game 1:00; Madison softball practice 1-2.

Michele and I pretty much don't leave the couch when we have the opportunity to relax.  The good news is Bob's school basketball team finished its season on Friday.  Both kids have games this Saturday, but that ends basketball season entirely.  After that, it should seem like we have tons of time.

3/03/2014 12:58 pm  #16

forsberg_us wrote:

The other part of it, and I'm sure Artie can relate, is when your kids get older, there simply isn't any time to do much of anything except drive them to/from their activities.  It's bad during the season, but then it gets insane when the seasons overlap.  We're finally coming out of basketball season which will slow things down a bit, but to give you an idea, this was our schedule last week

Monday- Bob- school team basketball practice (after school), football weight lifting 6-7:30.  Madison- piano lessons 7-7:45
Tuesday- Bob and Madison PSR (Catholic religion classes) 6:30-8
Wednesday- Bob- football weight lifting; Madison- softball practice 6:30-8:30.
Thursday- Bob- CYC team basketball practice 8-9:15
Friday- Bob- school team basketball game 3:30 and 5:30.  Madison- basketball game 7:00
Saturday- Bob- CYC team basketball game 9:00 a.m.; Madison- basketball game 11:00
Sunday- Bob CYC team basketball game 1:00; Madison softball practice 1-2.

Michele and I pretty much don't leave the couch when we have the opportunity to relax.  The good news is Bob's school basketball team finished its season on Friday.  Both kids have games this Saturday, but that ends basketball season entirely.  After that, it should seem like we have tons of time.

You have it twice as bad as I do. The worst was the spring, when Zach played baseball and lacrosse. I felt like a valet. 
Strike that. Hockey was the worst. On the ice at 7 a.m., every Sunday morning for four months. I never want to discourage my kid from participating in any activity he enjoys, but when Zach told me he wanted to give up hockey and play basketball, I was so happy I wanted to dance a Tarantella.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (3/03/2014 1:11 pm)

3/10/2014 12:17 pm  #17

And with that (Thank you Brian Elliott. Huge 3rd period last night), the Blues are in first place in the Western conference with about 18 games left to play.

LGB Get me that Presidents Trophy!

Typically I wouldn't care as much, but it's huge this year. 1 plays 8 (currently like Minnesota), then the 4/5 (which I think is Colorado/San Jose). Finishing 2 or 3 means that we're dealing with Los Angeles or Chicago in the second round. I'd like to avoid that...

3/10/2014 6:01 pm  #18

Alz, if it makes you feel better, I almost watched all of the 3rd period last night and watched the entire OT and shootout.  And I'm actually going to Thursday's game.  It's my wife's birthday and she wanted to go to the game, so I got us tickets.

3/11/2014 7:45 am  #19

It totally makes me feel better! Are you kidding! It's lonely in here, and the blues are doing amazing!!

3/12/2014 12:06 pm  #20

I've been a closet Blues fan ever since I turned on KMOX during the off-season and heard strange utterances like "offside", "icing", "blue line", and "Barclay Plager". Don't tell any of my neighbors or family members; they're all Penguins fans.

3/18/2014 2:24 pm  #21

Well get out of the closet JV, we're 4 points up on the NHL for the Presidents trophy... Just lost Tarasenko for about 6 weeks... That sucks, puts him out until at least the second round of the playoffs....

However, another two points last night, and the blues are cruising. Big road game tomorrow against Chicago then a tour of Eastern Conference playoff teams. @Pittsburgh and @Philadelphia should be good tests. @Toronto will be interesting considering their one of the wild card holders and will be playing crazy for every point.

Chicago hasn't been in top form, would be a great time to take 2 points from them tomorrow!

LGB!!!

3/18/2014 8:14 pm  #22

"Don't tell any of my neighbors or family members; they're all Penguins fans"

Sidney Crosby sodomizes goats.

3/18/2014 8:22 pm  #23

"Toronto will be interesting considering their one of the wild card holders and will be playing crazy for every point."

Kessel likes to give fellatio to sheep.

3/18/2014 8:25 pm  #24

"Philadelphia"

Scott Hartnell got crabs from a cheap hooker.

3/18/2014 8:36 pm  #25

Ten in a row, baby!!

Board footera