You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/10/2010 10:10 am  #1

Shelby Miller

Not sure if anyone else saw this.  Perhaps they knew what they were doing when they declared this kid off-limits in trade discussions.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/birdland/article_0779400c-bc27-11df-9005-00127992bc8b.html

9/10/2010 10:21 am  #2

Re: Shelby Miller

I figure the plan is to hope Miller can step into the rotation when Carp steps out.  I dont know where the team ranks as far as what they spent on starting pitching but it has got to be pretty high.

9/10/2010 12:56 pm  #3

He'll be a good one if he stays healthy. I think they'll play it slow with him and he spends all of next year at Palm Beach, unless it's abundantly clear that he's too good for the FSL.

9/10/2010 2:13 pm  #4

Next year is Carp's last year unless they pick up his 2012 option.  If healthy I dont see how they dont pick up the option.  The smart thing to do would be to rework the 16mill that is owed to him in 2012 and get him on the book for another year or two.  Still in 2011 and 2012 Pujol's new contract, whatever it is will be in the front of there mind.  If they can replace Carp's 15 million dollar contract with a 400,000 contract it would have to help balance the books.

9/10/2010 4:39 pm  #5

"Miller, 19, has lived up to the hype the entire season, going 7-5, 3.62 ERA overall in 24 starts and striking out 140 in 104 1/3 regular-season innings."

Sounds like the kid had a good game and should be congratulated, but frankly, I I don't see how 7-5, 3.62 ERA in a full season in single A is supposed to fulfill any hype.  Maybe it takes a pitching scout to understand that.

9/10/2010 9:35 pm  #6

Max wrote:

"Miller, 19, has lived up to the hype the entire season, going 7-5, 3.62 ERA overall in 24 starts and striking out 140 in 104 1/3 regular-season innings."

Sounds like the kid had a good game and should be congratulated, but frankly, I I don't see how 7-5, 3.62 ERA in a full season in single A is supposed to fulfill any hype.  Maybe it takes a pitching scout to understand that.

Really? A 6:1 K/BB ratio and under 3 BB/9 isn't fulfilling the hype? At 19? And with minor league defenses behind him? Oooookay.

9/10/2010 11:12 pm  #7

tkihshbt wrote:

Max wrote:

Really? A 6:1 K/BB ratio and under 3 BB/9 isn't fulfilling the hype? At 19? And with minor league defenses behind him? Oooookay.

Max,

I agree with TK on this one.  I've never looked at it in any systematic way but it seems to me like most top pitching prospects don't show up all that well on ERA, especially when pitching in A ball.  When you've got infielders with the range of Allen Craig and Chris Duncan, a lot of double play balls and routine outs are going to go down as base hits.  That's one problem with leaving a guy in the low minors too long.  He starts thinking he's got to strike everyone out.

I've seen a lot of good pitchers in the minors who didn't have that ERA's that were that great even at AA and AAA.  Jim Bunning for one.  Bob Forsch, John Denny, Dan Haren, and Adam Wainwright also.  Even Rick Ankiel, who was probably the most dominant minor league pitcher I've seen, didn't have that great an ERA as best I can remember.  For some reason, I can't be sure but it seems like he was more impressive for his strikeouts than his 2 hitters.  In fact, I don't think I saw him pitch a complete game here or in Little Rock.

You could tell everyone of those guys was a good pitcher (though Wainwright was the most questionable) but they gave up runs.

9/10/2010 11:36 pm  #8

Mags wrote:

I agree with TK on this one.

Thanks.  I hope, for our sake, that he's awesome.  Of if he isn't, that they successfully hype him to be, and then trade him for legitimate help.  We'll just have to see.

BTW, I got a kick out of TK's response.  The journalist lists A, B, and C, as being evidence of his dominance, points with which I quibble.  And TK responds, "What you don't think B/D and E/D qualify as justifying the hype???"

You are a trip TK.

9/11/2010 8:59 am  #9

Actually, you should have looked it up for yourself.

9/11/2010 9:34 am  #10

Sorry, Max, I'm a little on edge right now. Yeesh.

9/11/2010 12:10 pm  #11

No apologies needed.  Your post, in which you bring in new information while chastising me for not knowing it, didn't surprise me, just as my snarky responses probably don't surprise people anymore.

9/11/2010 12:13 pm  #12

tkihshbt wrote:

Actually, you should have looked it up for yourself.

Sometimes my point isn't as much about finding the truth about reality as it is about the ways that people go about supporting their interpretation of the truth about reality.  All you did was point out that you could provide more convincing statistics to support the claim that Shelby was living up to the hype than Goold did.

Board footera