You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/27/2014 11:31 am  #1

We reserve the right to refuse service .....

I wouldn't bet on that anymore.

While I understand the premise behind the Arizona governor's veto, I also understand the premise of the litigation that was veto'd. Both are fairly noble, the result however is going to be a fiasco.

I'd like to think that I have the right to refuse to work in North St. Louis, mostly due to to the fact that my body is almost certainly allergic to bullets. This veto puts that into question. I've also been told that real estate agents aren't allowed to comment on whether a school district has "good schools". I know I already am not allowed to give a peer a negative reference, unless I want to be held liable for the financial implications of them not advancing their careers thanks to my reference.

Sorry man, I don't think all businesses are created equal, and if I own a classy italian restaurant and dont want a Mardi Gras crowd in my place, that's my right. If that means I'm turning a pre-op trans who looks like a man with breasts wearing a dress away from my door, I understand how that seems prejudist, but feel as the owner of the business, that should totally be my right. Now, the counter arguement? Where does it end? Can you turn someone away for being Christian? If my business is founded on atheism, YES!!! Can you turn someone away for being black? I'm pretty sure I can't get much in the way of help from the NAACP, so under some circumstances? YES....

I don't believe I should be entitled to work as a Hooters server, a minority civil rights leader, the Producer of BET, the Dean of Grambling, the head of the Catholic church (why should I be Catholic to have that job???).

So if you want to chime in with your views.... cool. These are mine, and I'd love to hear any objective chatter about it. If you want to do something fun however, think about jobs that you really shouldn't be considered for based on an "unfair" discriminatory basis, and list those.

2/27/2014 11:42 am  #2

Re: We reserve the right to refuse service .....

I freely admit to having been too busy to follow this in any detail. My gut reaction is very similar to yours: Can, should, and how will the law discriminate between "good" and "bad" discrimination? If I'm a business owner or manager, I want the right to maintain an evironment consistent with and conducive to my "brand". Whether that right should extend to my personal, non-business-related views is the question. I'm afraid that once I study this case more deeply I will find myself on one side or the other.

Last edited by JV (2/27/2014 11:43 am)

2/27/2014 12:18 pm  #3

Our government has a disturbing habit of dictating to 275 million people across 50 states what is "the good and right way".

Unfortunately, bible belt states are vastly different from the North West which is like an alien land compared to California, which is the anti-christ to much of Texas, and Florida just wants to retire....

I'd rather we allow Arizona to do whatever the hell Arizona wants within the state borders of Arizona...

2/27/2014 3:06 pm  #4

The difference being there's no law on the books that allows anyone to throw you out of North St. Louis. 
The bill approved by the Arizona legislature is nothing more than institutionalized discrimination. It's apartheid for homosexuals. As impure as her motives are, Brewer had to veto it. 

2/27/2014 4:14 pm  #5

I wouldn't need to be thrown out of North St. Louis, in the above example, it's feasible I could be sued if I ran a roofing company and refused to have my team go there to put a new roof on a house.

It's a very serious ghetto, and that area is largely responsible for most of St. Louis crime. But since its a ghetto, if someone decides I'm not going to do the roof because I don't like Blacks, I could find myself in a world of legal shit. When the actual truth would be I didn't feel it was safe. Regardless of the win or loss, the moment I'm accused of refusing service because of race, my business is screwed.

I'm saying I should be able to refuse service, it's my business, my bad publicity, and my affected finances that rest on my decisions. While I understand this might cater to a general feeling of "unfairness", nothing looks worse for a place than to have it hit media that they acted like redneck hicks. Arizona had enough redneck hicks to pass that law, that's what the people want according to their lawmakers. If I disagree with it, I'll stay out of Arizona.

2/27/2014 5:59 pm  #6

I hadn't followed this issue that until Bob told me they were discussing it in a Current Events class he's taking at school.  I felt guilty that my 13 year old was more up to speed on national events than I was, so I had to do a little reading.

Alz, I understand what you and JV are saying, but the law has been pretty clear for roughly 50 years that you can't refuse services offered to the public to people based on race, gender, religion and national origin.  While I understand your roofing example, the reality is that plenty of businesses refuse to provide services in high crime areas (or more to the point, limit the area in which they are willing to work).  That isn't discriminatory, and so long as your roofing company can provide examples of jobs you performed outside of north St. Louis for black families/businesses, and so long as you aren't doing jobs in north St. Louis for white families/businesses, you'd be fine.  Same with your restaurant example--many restaurants enforce a dress code for patrons and could certainly deny entry to a pre-op tranny in a pair of assless chaps.  But that doesn't mean you could turn away Adam and Steve if they otherwise met the dress code.

Unlike race, gender or national origin, sexual orientation stirs up a hornet's nest of issues because it encroaches upon people's religious beliefs.  I'm not aware of any organized religious beliefs that view being black or female as a sin, but there are clearly such beliefs about homosexuality.  I don't personally agree with them, but I understand they exist, and understand in some cases are very sincerely held.  And this is where the "clash of rights" occurs.  If the law protects the civil rights of homosexuals (which it doesn't in many jurisdictions, but does in certain parts of Arizona), but also protects citizens' rights to religious freedom, what happens when the two meet?  Rightly or wrongly (I'd argue rightly), they're generally going to come down against the business owner.  When a jurisdiction grants a business a license, it's going to require compliance with certain rules.  If one of those rules happens to be a requirement that the business not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation, so be it.  The business owner is free to move his/her business to a jurisdiction without a similar rule or not open for business.

I suppose the difficult part for me is understanding the view of the business owner.  The one example I saw in one of the news stories I read was an example of a bakery that didn't want to make a wedding cake for a same-sex couple.  Again, not being religious, I guess I don't get that.  Did the bakery owner believe that by making the cake they were somehow violating a religious tenet?  Is making the cake somehow sanctioning the event? 

Let me ask a question to Alz and JV, and since I happen to work in the building where Tony's is located, I'll use that as the example (for those who don't know, Tony's is a very upscale Italian restaurant).  I know the owners of Tony's, and they have always struck me as fairly old-school Italian, so I'm probably not going too far out on a limb by guessing they're Catholic.  Is your issue that you feel the owners' religious rights aren't receiving sufficient consideration because they're not permitted to turn away a same-sex couple?  Or is it simply that you don't like the fact that the government is deciding the issue one way or the other? (or perhaps it's a bit of both). 

2/27/2014 6:15 pm  #7

alz wrote:

I wouldn't need to be thrown out of North St. Louis, in the above example, it's feasible I could be sued if I ran a roofing company and refused to have my team go there to put a new roof on a house.

It's a very serious ghetto, and that area is largely responsible for most of St. Louis crime. But since its a ghetto, if someone decides I'm not going to do the roof because I don't like Blacks, I could find myself in a world of legal shit. When the actual truth would be I didn't feel it was safe. Regardless of the win or loss, the moment I'm accused of refusing service because of race, my business is screwed.

I'm saying I should be able to refuse service, it's my business, my bad publicity, and my affected finances that rest on my decisions. While I understand this might cater to a general feeling of "unfairness", nothing looks worse for a place than to have it hit media that they acted like redneck hicks. Arizona had enough redneck hicks to pass that law, that's what the people want according to their lawmakers. If I disagree with it, I'll stay out of Arizona.

Fifty years ago, if there was a popular vote, most states would have banned interracial marriage. Think how silly that sounds today.

2/28/2014 12:11 am  #8

My "gut reaction" had more to do with what seemed like PC pressure via the usual media circus, and my assumption that the bill could not be as bad as they were claiming it to be. Just tonight, I read the bill and still haven't made up my mind about it. It did attempt to avoid using "religion" as a blanket excuse, but probably not well enough. It also contained provisions that government action could be justified if "in furtherance of a compelling government interest" as long as said action is "the least restrictive means of furthering that compelling government interest", but I have to agree with Brewer that it was so vague as to invite more trouble than it might prevent. That said, I still think there should be a line between what a business can and can't be forced to do by government; I just don't know where that line should be drawn. I also acknowledge that religious freedom was a main, if not THE main, reason for the early European emigrations to this continent and believe it deserves to be respected but, again, which other principles it should trump is something I can't say.

Last edited by JV (2/28/2014 12:12 am)

Board footera