You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/15/2014 11:32 am  #1

Playoffs?? Playoffs?!?!

Boston over Detroit - If I were a Bruins' fan ... wait, I am a Bruins' fan .. I'd be scared shitless about this matchup, especially if Zetterberg is well enough to have an impact. The Bruins are deeper at forward, have a better goalie and the aura of the best record in the league, but I wouldn't be surprised if this series goes at least six, if not seven, games.

Montreal over Tampa Bay - The 'Ning come in as the hotter team, with home ice advantage and a healthy Steven Stamkos. Which is why, of course, Montreal will win.

Pittsburgh over Columbus - Hey, Columbus. You eked out the first wild card spot. Your prize is you get to play the Penguins. Granted, the Pens haven't been playing their best hockey lately, they may not have Malkin for this series, and their goalie is prone to suckishness, but they ought to be able to out-score the Blue Jackets.

New York Rangers/Philadelphia - I don't care who wins this series. Neither team is going to get anywhere near the Stanley Cup. All I care about is that one of these teams will lose. Preferably, a sinkhole will open up under the rink during one of the games and swallow both teams. Hopefully, it will happen in Philadelphia and take some of the Flyers' idiotic, blood-thirsty fans down with the players.

You're on your own in the West. 

Last edited by artie_fufkin (4/15/2014 11:33 am)

4/16/2014 9:30 am  #2

Re: Playoffs?? Playoffs?!?!

Anaheim over Dallas - Dallas showed resillience making the playoffs, but I don't see any way they can stay over Anaheim.

Chicago over St. Louis - I would love to be wrong here, but unless the Blues figure out how to play with less mistakes and get some of their offensive players back, I don't know how they match up with Chicago with Toews and Kane coming back. Hope I'm wrong, but I can't call that objectively.

Los Angeles over San Jose - In Quick I trust...

Colorado over Minnesota - The Avalanche have been lights out lately, and I expect that to fade away. I don't see them winning the West, but I think they handle Minnesota pretty easily.

4/16/2014 8:23 pm  #3

I'll never root for the Canadiens, but do the Lightning have to make it so hard for me to root against them? Hand-held noisemakers? Really? And the building looks like it's about 25 percent red. Floridians are the worst sports fans in America.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (4/16/2014 8:23 pm)

4/17/2014 2:51 pm  #4

If you notice a crazy man in front of ScottTrade praying on a rug and soaking the foundations of the place in holy water, pay no mind, I'm not dangerous. I'm just praying to anything holy for the Blues to step up and play hockey.

4/17/2014 3:37 pm  #5

artie_fufkin wrote:

I'll never root for the Canadiens, but do the Lightning have to make it so hard for me to root against them? Hand-held noisemakers? Really? And the building looks like it's about 25 percent red. Floridians are the worst sports fans in America.

I fully expect Scottrade to be 25% or more red tonight, and it won't be Cardinal Red.

4/17/2014 9:45 pm  #6

Good thing the Schwartz was with you.

4/17/2014 11:50 pm  #7

A great win. Heckuva night, Alz!

4/18/2014 8:42 am  #8

What time did you get home, Alz?

4/21/2014 8:02 am  #9

Oh no I didn't go I was just praying. I'm in a "spend money wisely" phase right now, which invovled paying off taxes (Phase 1), and my daughter's scuba diving certification (Phase 2). We're now at the daughter's basic scuba gear phase, and about 4 more phases beyond that, I can spend money to go to playoff games!

4/21/2014 8:29 am  #10

alz wrote:

Oh no I didn't go I was just praying. I'm in a "spend money wisely" phase right now, which invovled paying off taxes (Phase 1), and my daughter's scuba diving certification (Phase 2). We're now at the daughter's basic scuba gear phase, and about 4 more phases beyond that, I can spend money to go to playoff games!

I'm not trying to be flippant, but where does one scuba dive in Missouri?

4/21/2014 9:39 am  #11

We don't unfortunately... Although Bontaire Mine isn't a terrible dive, for freshwater... We get certified here, and then we take trips. Our first Father-Daughter dive trip will be to Disney's finding nemo aquariums in Orlando. She'll see a ton of stuff that she wouldn't be guaranteed to see, in a very safe environment. I think it's a good opener.

For me, I've been to Hawaii, Bonaire (just north of Venezeula), and the Florida keys (last November). I was seriously seriously impressed with the reef at Key Largo, and can't wait to get back.

4/21/2014 10:05 am  #12

artie_fufkin wrote:

alz wrote:

I'm not trying to be flippant, but where does one scuba dive in Missouri?

Reminds me of a night spent at the "Sauget Ballet" several years ago.  One of the dancers, an inquisitive young thing, but not the sharpest tool in the shed, asked the group what we did for a living.  I had her convinced that I was a high rise window washer (because most of those guys are 6'5", 280 pounds), but the best was Chad who had her convinced he was a deep sea salvage diver. 

Apparently the Mississippi is fertile diving territory (or so she believed). 

4/21/2014 10:37 am  #13

alz wrote:

We don't unfortunately... Although Bontaire Mine isn't a terrible dive, for freshwater... We get certified here, and then we take trips. Our first Father-Daughter dive trip will be to Disney's finding nemo aquariums in Orlando. She'll see a ton of stuff that she wouldn't be guaranteed to see, in a very safe environment. I think it's a good opener.

For me, I've been to Hawaii, Bonaire (just north of Venezeula), and the Florida keys (last November). I was seriously seriously impressed with the reef at Key Largo, and can't wait to get back.

Before Disney reconfigured the Living Seas exhibit to the Nemo theme, there was a restaurant on one side of the tank where you could watch the fish while you were eating seafood, which is actually kind of creepy if you think about it.
Anyway, one night when my wife and I were in the restaurant, one of the divers swam up to a group at one of the tables in the first row and pretended he was firing a harpoon at them. I can only assume the diver was a guest, and not a cast member, because if he had been the latter they probably would have immediately hauled him out of the tank and fired him out of one of the cannons at Pirates of the Caribbean. 
We always seem to run into at least once instance of what Walt would have considered deviant behavior every time we take a trip to Central Florida. We were in an elevator at the Yacht Club with a maid who was trying to balance about a dozen towels, and when the elevator jerked to a stop, the towels fell over, and the maid said "Oh, shit!" then looked at us like she we were going to tattle on her so she'd get fired.
The best moment ever was at Universal, though. Zach was maybe 3 or 4, and riding on one of the rides in Dr. Seussville, or whatever it's called. The Grinch is walking through the park trying to get to his Grinch exhibit, and he's being followed by a group of teenage boys who are taunting him. One of the kids pulls the Grinch's tail, and the Grinch, who has apparently had enough, turns and takes off after the kid. A brief foot pursuit ends when the Grinch takes down the kid with a tackle that looked like LT bringing down Joe Theismann. The Grinch puts the kid in a hammer lock until about a dozen security guards arrive and haul off the kid. 

4/21/2014 10:44 am  #14

"I had her convinced that I was a high rise window washer (because most of those guys are 6'5", 280 pounds), but the best was Chad who had her convinced he was a deep sea salvage diver."

BAWOMN! A few years ago, when we were driving from downtown Buffalo to Ralph Wilson Stadium, one of the geniuses in the van lamented he wasn't able to do some deep sea fishing in Lake Erie during the trip.

4/21/2014 10:46 am  #15

There's something absolutely spell-binding that occurs when a mascot of some type gets PO'd and makes a situation real. I could watch "when mascots attack" type fights all day, best comedy ever.

I'm convinced that the notion of zombies originated in Florida, where people living a lifetime of crazy sun end up looking like a cross between a human and a baseball glove in their older age... Sun appears to do something to them too because they walk around like zombies too..

4/22/2014 9:06 pm  #16

Is this the custom in "Hockeytown?" Leave the building when you're down by two goals with four minutes left?

4/22/2014 9:13 pm  #17

alz wrote:

There's something absolutely spell-binding that occurs when a mascot of some type gets PO'd and makes a situation real. I could watch "when mascots attack" type fights all day, best comedy ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtiApxDUgu8

4/23/2014 8:10 pm  #18

Im goung to attempt to be interested in the game tonight

4/23/2014 10:36 pm  #19

APIAD wrote:

It's been an entertaining series, at least the parts I've seen. Either team could be up 3-0, and Chicago should probably be ahead, 2-1.
Keep your eye on the Anaheim/Dallas series. It's been getting nastier by the game, and there was almost a full-scale brawl at the end tonight.

4/24/2014 7:59 am  #20

Tough game for the Blues to drop yesterday. Really thought that they were going to get that one.

Game 5 back here, that's a must win for us. Let's see if we can do it.

4/24/2014 11:50 am  #21

artie_fufkin wrote:

APIAD wrote:

It's been an entertaining series, at least the parts I've seen. Either team could be up 3-0, and Chicago should probably be ahead, 2-1.
Keep your eye on the Anaheim/Dallas series. It's been getting nastier by the game, and there was almost a full-scale brawl at the end tonight.

It was on to late.  I was dead to the world by the 3 period.  It was fun to watch.  It seems more excitjng then the reg season.

4/24/2014 1:36 pm  #22

In many ways AP, it is. Playoff hockey makes regular season hockey look like pre-season football. Nobody pauses to throw themselves in front of pucks, hit other guys, fight, protect teammates, skate harder, faster, gut it out....

chicago St Louis has been crazy tight. Three games decided by OT, and the fourth was 1-0 + an emtpy netter. Hoping we hold serve tomorrow. Chicago is really good, but so are we.

4/27/2014 6:25 pm  #23

My condolences about the Blues. You're all free to jump on the Bruins' bandwagon, as they prepare for their next series against the NHL's Great Satan.

4/29/2014 8:23 am  #24

I'm still ... mourning. What a dissappointment.

4/29/2014 10:32 pm  #25

Blues gonna Blue. Pretty much happens every April.

But if you're into playoff hockey, tomorrow night is Christmas. We have 3 Game 7s on the schedule. Should be fun.

Board footera