You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/30/2014 9:18 am  #26

Re: Playoffs?? Playoffs?!?!

This is hilarious. But be forewarned, it's rife with gratuitous insults toward the Blues and the city.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/eulogy--remembering-the-2013-14-st--louis-blues-215110580.html

4/30/2014 10:08 am  #27

JV wrote:

This is hilarious. But be forewarned, it's rife with gratuitous insults toward the Blues and the city.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/eulogy--remembering-the-2013-14-st--louis-blues-215110580.html

You had me at "syphilitic badger."

4/30/2014 1:16 pm  #28

artie_fufkin wrote:

JV wrote:

You had me at "syphilitic badger."

Lots of zingers in there. I particularly liked "..[Jackman] has been walked by more than Quizno's".

5/01/2014 11:08 am  #29

Can't wait to read the eulogy for the Sharks.  Ugh, how do you blow a 3-0 lead?

5/01/2014 12:19 pm  #30

forsberg_us wrote:

You start by naming Joe Thornton as your captain. Great hands. Big body. Exceptional vision. No testicles.

5/01/2014 12:33 pm  #31

Well I was 3/4 in picking the west. Missed Colorado/Minnesota.

Anaheim vs LA - I gotta go with Anaheim on this. LA managed to save that series with San Jose but .... I think the Ducks win this.

Minnesota vs Chicago - Chicago.

5/01/2014 2:16 pm  #32

Montreal vs. Boston - With the caveat I'm incredibly biased, especially when the &^%$#@* Canadiens are involved, I'll pick the Bruins in six. 

Pissburgh vs. Rangers - Another series where I'd like to see a giant sea monster emerge and swallow both teams whole. The Rangers just don't have the offensive might to stay with the Penguins ... but, if the Rangers can get Lundqvist to play like the shutdown version of the goalie he's supposed to be instead of the overrated very-good-but-not-great goalie he actually is, and if Rick Nash keeps playing like he did last night, the Rangers could at least send it to seven. I'm not counting on either happening, so Penguins in five.

5/01/2014 4:55 pm  #33

artie_fufkin wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

You start by naming Joe Thornton as your captain. Great hands. Big body. Exceptional vision. No testicles.

For a minute I thought you were describing the gal that used to play center for Baylor's women's basketball team.  But then you said no testicles so I knew you weren't talking about her.

5/01/2014 5:01 pm  #34

I would tend to agree with both of your predictions, but Anaheim is having goalie issues.  The 2nd round of the playoffs isn't the place/time to be trying to figure out who's your starting goalie.

5/01/2014 9:01 pm  #35

If Boston loses this game Lucic will have nightmares about that open net he whiffed on.

5/02/2014 8:52 am  #36

forsberg_us wrote:

If Boston loses this game Lucic will have nightmares about that open net he whiffed on.

I don't know about Lucic, but I had nightmares about that, the post Hamilton hit, the crossbar Ericsson hit, and the puck that took a left turn just before it went into the net in the first overtime. 

5/02/2014 9:28 am  #37

I can relate to that Artie... The Blues series with Chicago had a lot of Overtime... Games 4 and 5... So many missed chances in each of those games... Whiffs, posts, failed breakaways.... I've come however to understand that the Blues have a bit of a curse on them, and like the Cubs, failure is a bit expected and not as painful. For a Bruins fan, it's probably a little more traumatic, since you guys are actually expected to succeed!

5/02/2014 11:24 am  #38

artie_fufkin wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

I don't know about Lucic, but I had nightmares about that, the post Hamilton hit, the crossbar Ericsson hit, and the puck that took a left turn just before it went into the net in the first overtime. 

I admittedly don't watch much Eastern Conference hockey, but is P.K. Subban the NHL's version of Carlos Gomez?  Dude seems to dig himself w-a-y too much.

5/02/2014 3:44 pm  #39

"the Blues have a bit of a curse on them, and like the Cubs, failure is a bit expected and not as painful. For a Bruins fan, it's probably a little more traumatic, since you guys are actually expected to succeed!"

Everything changes for the Bruins when they see the CH on those red sweaters. The Bruins didn't beat the Canadiens in the playoffs for something like 45 years. It's been a little more even lately, but there's a lot of history working against the Bruins.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (5/02/2014 3:44 pm)

5/02/2014 3:47 pm  #40

" is P.K. Subban the NHL's version of Carlos Gomez?  Dude seems to dig himself w-a-y too much."

Not as much as Pierre McGuire seems to dig him. The only problem I have with Subban is he's the one who usually initiates contact, but anytime someone comes at him, he either flops or skates away.

5/13/2014 8:49 pm  #41

Well, at least Big Ben still hasn't raped anyone in a bathroom this week.

5/14/2014 9:35 am  #42

Is it me, or are the Blackhawks starting to get annoying?

5/14/2014 2:28 pm  #43

Interesting Artie. We're both not bad at picking this game.

I'm still only 1 series being wrong (Colorado/Minnesota), you as well (Pittsburgh/NY Rangers) although you passed on picking the Philadelphia/Rangers series.

I think going 7-2 together is pretty decent work! If Anaheim and Boston advance we're 9-2.

5/14/2014 2:30 pm  #44

I have a pretty decent bias to Chicago too, so I can't say I can fairly judge them. I hate any team who's crushed my postseason dreams usually. So Chicago, LA Kings, Detroit, Colorado, San Jose, Vancouver, are all teams I really don't like much.

5/14/2014 5:11 pm  #45

"you passed on picking the Philadelphia/Rangers series."

Yeah, the three teams I can't be impartial about are the Rangers, the Flyers and the Canadiens, all of which I've despised from back in the '70s. The one and only one time I've ever shed tears when one of the teams I've rooted for lost was when the Bruins lost to the Canadiens in the '71 playoffs. And the Boston Globe's lead hockey writer brings up that series every time the Bruins face the Canadiens in the playoffs.
The Flyers almost ruined the NHL in the mid-'70s, when they put a bunch of thugs on ice skates. The Rangers are just, well, the Rangers - perennially under-talented and overrated by the New York media. 

5/14/2014 5:14 pm  #46

"The one and only one time I've ever shed tears when one of the teams I've rooted for lost was when the Bruins lost to the Canadiens in the '71 playoffs."

And to clarify, I was 8-years-old. 

5/15/2014 10:10 am  #47

Where to begin? The Bruins were out-played, out-hustled, out-performed, just about out-everything but out-shot last night.
The FanBoys are blaming the first line, Marchand, the young defense, the referees, but it's none of the above. First of all, you've got a coach who is married to a system. You're not going to win every game, 1-0, and there are occasionally times you're going to need a forward or two who doesn't necessarily have to keep one eye on his own net while he's shooting at the other. Phil Kessel or Tyler Seguin would have been nice to have in this series, but they don't fit the system.
Secondly, I think you trade Rask the day after he wins the Vezina Trophy in a few weeks, when his value is never going to be higher. He's one of the best goalies on the planet, and he makes all the saves he's supposed to make, but in order to win a Stanley Cup you need a goalie who will carry a team through a mediocre game, or even a mediocre series. Lundqvist did it. Price did it, and nobody does it better than Quick. 

5/15/2014 11:46 am  #48

Yeah I didn't catch much except the last 3 minutes, when Montreal banked a shot in off Chara's leg.

I don't get a lot of air time in hockey if it's not the blues here. I don't have NBC Sports on DirecTV because I don't want to pay an extra 50.00 a month to get it (although it does come with about 40000000 other channels I don't care about).

5/15/2014 12:52 pm  #49

"and nobody does it better than Quick"

If Quick can do it for one more game and one more series thereafter, I should win our fantasy hockey league.  Otherwise I'm looking at 4th place.

5/15/2014 2:07 pm  #50

forsberg_us wrote:

"and nobody does it better than Quick"

If Quick can do it for one more game and one more series thereafter, I should win our fantasy hockey league.  Otherwise I'm looking at 4th place.

Well thank goodness. Knowing your fantasy team is still in contention alleviates all my frustration about the Bruins losing to the friggin' Canadiens.

Board footera