You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/07/2014 9:01 pm  #1

NFL Draft

The worst organization in professional sports as it pertains to manipulating media and getting them to carry its water is having a draft tomorrow night. I have no idea who is going to go No. 1 or No. 2. I suspect Jadeveon Clowney will go to Houston, though the Texans will make every attempt to move down. I suspect the Rams will draft Greg Robinson, though they will make every attempt to move down as well.

I think the Rams have done a marvelous job convincing the media horde that they are interested in Johnny Football, but they kind of blew that cover tonight when Snead and Fisher introduced Sam Bradford as "our starting quarterback." The possibilites as I see it for my Rammies:

Option A: Trade down to Oakland, Minnesota or Cleveland
Option B: Draft Robinson, go Gilbert/Dix/DL at No. 13 (most likely)
Option C: Draft Watkins, go Lewan/Matthews at No. 13
Option D: Draft Manziel at No. 2, use No. 13 pick to move up and select Robinson (least likely)

5/07/2014 9:40 pm  #2

Re: NFL Draft

I always love the drama of the Raiders' draft. Who will they pick? A quarterback who can throw a football 200 yards underwater but can't read a playbook? An offensive tackle from Eastern Dakota State who ran a 3.5 and did 784 reps on the bench press at the combine but can't stop a sack of flour from rushing the quarterback? A 1-legged punter?

5/07/2014 9:44 pm  #3

Sammy Watkins was destined to be a Raider.

5/08/2014 9:24 am  #4

tkihshbt wrote:

Sammy Watkins was destined to be a Raider.

Until last week or so, most of the mock drafts I saw had him going to Oakland, but it's gotten silly over the past week and now the sentiment seems to be they'll pick the linebacker from Buffalo.
I try not to listen to what these draftniks say or read what they write, because it ends up being forgotten about two days after the draft ends. As poorly as the Raiders have drafted over the past decade, a lot of the guys they've taken have been consensus picks at the time. JaMarcus Russell was supposedly a no-brainer at #1, and the Gallery pick at #2 was applauded. And they didn't come under undue criticism for picking either McFadden or Rolando McClain. In fact, the Giants wanted McClain so badly their fans in the room booed when the Raiders took him ahead of them.
And the two picks for which they received the most criticism are Janikowski and Heyward-Bey. Janikowski, as it turned out, is one of their best picks ever. You could make an argument statistically he's the best kicker who ever played. And Heyward-Bey had a 1,000-yard season for them. Is he Michael Crabtree? Not by any stretch. But I'm not sure any receiver picked that year could have flourished in the Raiders' "system" with the quarterbacks, offensive coordinators and head coaches that came through the revolving door the way they have.

5/08/2014 11:23 am  #5

Yeah, I'm just playing off stereotypes. It's laughable to see everyone pan the Russell pick all these years later because he was "can't miss" after that Sugar Bowl. I remember reading about how awesome Gallery was in either SI or ESPN the Mag.

5/08/2014 11:31 am  #6

My dream scenario for the Rams (assuming they can't trade down) is Watkins at 2 and Aaron Donald at 13. But I fully expect them to take an o-lineman and d-back. I think the Manziel talk is all smoke and mirrors.

I'll go on record right now--I have a bad feeling Greg Robinson = Jason Smith. If I'm taking a tackle at #2, I'm not taking one who still needs to be taught to pass block. Give me the safer pick in Jake Matthews.

5/08/2014 12:20 pm  #7

tkihshbt wrote:

Yeah, I'm just playing off stereotypes. It's laughable to see everyone pan the Russell pick all these years later because he was "can't miss" after that Sugar Bowl. I remember reading about how awesome Gallery was in either SI or ESPN the Mag.

I've been convinced these guys are just throwing darts ever since Paul Zimmerman said he thought he Dolphins wasted a pick on Dan Marino. And the genuflecting at the altar of Belichick is ridicuous. Here's a list of Happy Bill's first round picks since he's been in control of the Patriots:
2001: Richard Seymour (6)
2002: Daniel Graham (21)
2003: Ty Warren (13)
2004: Vince Wilfork (21); Benjamin Watson (32)
2005: Logan Mankins (32)
2006: Laurence Maroney (21)
2007: Brandon Meriweather (24)
2008: Jerod Mayo (10)
2010: Devin McCourty (27)
2011: Nate Solder (17)
2012: Chandler Jones (21); Dont'a Hightower (25)

Granted, Belichick is usually picking later in the first round, but there are almost as many misses as hits in there. Seymour, Wilfork, Mayo and Mankins were or are All-Pro players, Solder is very good and the two picks in 2012 have played pretty well, but the two tight ends were only marginal players, Warren didn't give them much, Meriweather was bust, and Maroney was a huge bust. McCourty starts, but at safety and not corner because he can't cover a wide receiver.
Not that the draft is all about the first round, but there's a lot of "If Belichick made the pick, it must be a good one" herd mentality that just isn't true.

5/08/2014 12:24 pm  #8

"I think the Manziel talk is all smoke and mirrors."

I can't believe anyone would consider a smallish quarterback who relies at lot on his legs to make plays as a top 5 pick. That being said, the Raiders will probably end up taking him.

5/08/2014 2:57 pm  #9

forsberg_us wrote:

My dream scenario for the Rams (assuming they can't trade down) is Watkins at 2 and Aaron Donald at 13. But I fully expect them to take an o-lineman and d-back. I think the Manziel talk is all smoke and mirrors.

I'll go on record right now--I have a bad feeling Greg Robinson = Jason Smith. If I'm taking a tackle at #2, I'm not taking one who still needs to be taught to pass block. Give me the safer pick in Jake Matthews.

Yeah, I'm not high on Robinson either. I don't know if he = Jason Smith, but I'm wary of guys who are suddenly talked about as top picks because they flashed big on nationally televised games.

"artie fufkin" wrote:

Not that the draft is all about the first round, but there's a lot of "If Belichick made the pick, it must be a good one" herd mentality that just isn't true.

There's also a lot of "Belichick is a defensive genius" herd mentality that isn't true. One thing is certain: the Patriots will draft a corner back and someone will talk about how "Belichick does it again! He turned a first round pick into two thirds! What value!

5/08/2014 4:34 pm  #10

"One thing is certain: the Patriots will draft a corner back and someone will talk about how "Belichick does it again! He turned a first round pick into two thirds! What value!"

One of the things I'll give him credit for is being able to spot a player who's performance is beginning to decline. The NFL graveyard is littered with dead money for guys like Deion Branch and Damien Woody who other teams signed to big contracts based on their performance in New England and regretted it. The way he sheds players is cold and heartless and another reason why I'm glad I don't root for the Patriots, but the ball washers don't care as long as he keeps winning the AFC Norris division every year.

5/08/2014 8:21 pm  #11

If you're watching the ESPN version of the draft, it's become the Johnny Football Watch.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (5/08/2014 8:21 pm)

5/08/2014 8:42 pm  #12

Got half of my dream scenario. I can live with that. The Rams d-line is scary good.

5/08/2014 9:24 pm  #13

Why is Ray Lewis on this panel?

5/09/2014 8:13 am  #14

forsberg_us wrote:

Got half of my dream scenario. I can live with that. The Rams d-line is scary good.

Unfortunately, they still can't score any points. In a way it's probably good that they didn't draft Watkins, because I would hate seeing someone with all that potential wasted by Brian Schottenheimer.

I still would've preferred Matthews. That guy is going to be rock solid in this league for 10 years.

5/09/2014 8:21 am  #15

"I still would've preferred Matthews. That guy is going to be rock solid in this league for 10 years."

Every clip they showed of Matthews last night, he was either putting someone on his arse on a run block or easily keeping a pass rusher from getting to Manziel.
The other guy who impressed me on video was Watkins. 

5/09/2014 11:14 am  #16

Yeah, I'm a big Watkins fan. The Rams are getting a lot of "attaboys" from the national press, but I stick by my statement that they have done nothing to address the issue of pushing the ball across the end zone. Greg Robinson will just give Bradford more time to panic before he checks down, or give Schotty a chance to run an ill-timed screen pass to Pead.

5/09/2014 2:53 pm  #17

I'm still not convinced the Rams aren't going to another city in the not too distant future.

I was a bit surprised to see Marquis Lee still sitting undrafted....

5/09/2014 3:05 pm  #18

alz wrote:

I'm still not convinced the Rams aren't going to another city in the not too distant future.

I was a bit surprised to see Marquis Lee still sitting undrafted....

Concerns about his knee surfaced

5/09/2014 3:10 pm  #19

tkihshbt wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

Unfortunately, they still can't score any points. In a way it's probably good that they didn't draft Watkins, because I would hate seeing someone with all that potential wasted by Brian Schottenheimer.

I still would've preferred Matthews. That guy is going to be rock solid in this league for 10 years.

Understand what you're saying but (and I didn't realize this), they averaged 23 points per game over the last 8 games of the season.  There were a couple of clunkers in there for sure, but 23 points should be enough to win more games than they lose with the defense they're assembling.

Personally, if I'm the Rams I take best player available with every remaining pick.  They aren't winning the Super Bowl this season.  They just need to stock pile talent, regardless of position.

5/11/2014 9:47 am  #20

Final tally from the RGIII trade

Greg Robinson
Alec Ogletree
Stedman Bailey
Zac Stacy
Michael Brockers
Janoris Jenkins
Isaiah Pead
Rokevious Watkins

5 starters, 2 bench players and 1 guy they cut for being lazy. I think the trade worked out OK.

5/11/2014 10:31 pm  #21

I'm not convinced the Raiders got any better. Maybe Derek Carr will work out. I suppose grabbing a QB in the second round is worth a shot at breaking the cycle of lousy quarterbacks over the last decade-plus.

5/11/2014 10:38 pm  #22

artie_fufkin wrote:

I'm not convinced the Raiders got any better. Maybe Derek Carr will work out. I suppose grabbing a QB in the second round is worth a shot at breaking the cycle of lousy quarterbacks over the last decade-plus.

I thought the Raiders did well. Mack is a beast and should instantly improve the pass rush. Carr should get an opportunity to develop before being thrown into the mix which is good. And for the first time in a while, they didn't go for flash, they drafted good football players. Baby steps, but steps in the right direction nonetheless.

5/11/2014 10:56 pm  #23

I'm concerned about the competition Mack played against in college. He looked great against Michigan, but anyone can have one good game. 
Carr will get about one half of the first game before people start calling for him to start. 
They're so much worse than any of the other teams in the divison, they should drop down to the California Penal League for a year or two and then come back to the NFL.
And then I found out this week the Broncos signed DeMarcus Ware. Where are they getting all this salary cap room? It's not like Pat Bowlen has ever tried to play fast and loose with the salary cap.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (5/11/2014 10:56 pm)

5/12/2014 9:20 am  #24

The Broncos have an advantage because at least two of their better players (Von Miller and Demaryius Thomas) are still under rookie contracts.

5/12/2014 2:15 pm  #25

forsberg_us wrote:

Final tally from the RGIII trade

Greg Robinson
Alec Ogletree
Stedman Bailey
Zac Stacy
Michael Brockers
Janoris Jenkins
Isaiah Pead
Rokevious Watkins

5 starters, 2 bench players and 1 guy they cut for being lazy. I think the trade worked out OK.

I think so, too, though Pead and Watkins are disappointments. But it's impossible to strike on everyone.

Board footera