You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/12/2014 5:47 pm  #1

Match Results

Brazil vs Croatia.... Shit goals on Brazil. Both strikes were garbage balls that had no business getting past the keeper. The penalty kick that was allowed wasn't a penalty at all. The goalie gets both hands on the pk and still botched the save (ouch...). At the other end a questionable foul call keeps Croatia from scoring a second...

Brazil should feel incredibly fortunate with 3 points. At best they deserved a draw.

Croatia surely can find a goalie with better okay than that, utter liability in net back there. I could have played that well in their net... it was really that awful.

6/13/2014 4:57 pm  #2

Re: Match Results

Holland 5, Spain 1. Stunning.

6/13/2014 5:03 pm  #3

"I could have played that well in their net."

The goalkeeping has been poor through the first three games. Iker Casillas was once one of the best keepers in the world. The only reasons he's even playing in this tournament are his reputation and because Victor Valdes blew out his knee a couple of months ago. But all five goals today weren't entirely his fault. All of a sudden, the Spanish defense looks old and slow.

6/13/2014 6:27 pm  #4

Yes unfortunately I'm having to record the games and watch after work so I'm trying to avoid this thread until I'm caught up.

Spain looked terrible on defense and worse at goal. Holland looked amazing, Mexico impressed too...

Spain has Chile and Australia still so you have to think they get through but they have no room for error now.

6/13/2014 8:07 pm  #5

"Spain has Chile and Australia still so you have to think they get through but they have no room for error now."

Spain needs to beat Chile because right now Chile has a plus-6 goal differential over them.

6/13/2014 9:24 pm  #6

artie_fufkin wrote:

"Spain has Chile and Australia still so you have to think they get through but they have no room for error now."

Spain needs to beat Chile because right now Chile has a plus-6 goal differential over them.

I don't think Spain gets in with any draw...  goal differential better not play in or they are totally screwed.

6/13/2014 9:52 pm  #7

alz wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

I don't think Spain gets in with any draw...  goal differential better not play in or they are totally screwed.

The way they played today, they're going to have a hard time beating Chile.
Of course, Spain lost its first game of the tournament four years ago and then gave up one goal in the next six games, so maybe today's game was another Mulligan.
The difference is that, except for Diego Costa, who was ineffective and appeared to be intimidated by the crowd booing him every time he touched the ball, and the right back from Chelsea whose name I won't even try to spell, this was the same lineup from 2010 that today looked four years older and slower.
Robben blew by Sergio Ramos for the fifth goal like Ramos was a traffic cone, and van Persie ran circles around Ramos and Pique in the second half. Granted, Robben and van Persie are two of the most dangerous scorers in the tournament, but Ramos and Pique are supposed to be the best central defense tandem in the world.

6/14/2014 4:36 pm  #8

Isn't Uruguay supposed to be one of the elite teams? I know they are missing Suarez but they got hammered by Costa Rica... Three goals in the second half. And a red card issued in extra time. First of the tournament.

This game here will pretty much end their hope of getting beyond group.

6/14/2014 5:04 pm  #9

I tip my cap to you guys for your interest. I watched about 20-30 minutes of that Uruguay/Costa Rica match. I saw more headbands than shots in the direction of the net and couldn't take any more of it.

6/14/2014 6:11 pm  #10

Should watch England Italy. Like watching two heavyweight champions square off. Both have scored a goal and shown the ability to exploit the other teams defense if they get any opening.

Edit Italy scored as this was sending and is winning 2-1 now.

Last edited by alz (6/14/2014 6:11 pm)

6/15/2014 7:15 pm  #11

alz wrote:

Isn't Uruguay supposed to be one of the elite teams? I know they are missing Suarez but they got hammered by Costa Rica... Three goals in the second half. And a red card issued in extra time. First of the tournament.

This game here will pretty much end their hope of getting beyond group.

Uruguay made it to the semifinals four years ago, and there were some people who predicted them to win the group, but they looked awful yesterday. Without Suarez, they really don't have a consistent offensive threat.
With the caveat I didn't pick them to get out of the group, Costa Rica was the second-best team in the North/Central American region.

6/15/2014 7:19 pm  #12

alz wrote:

Should watch England Italy. Like watching two heavyweight champions square off. Both have scored a goal and shown the ability to exploit the other teams defense if they get any opening.

Edit Italy scored as this was sending and is winning 2-1 now.

That game was typical England. They're never as good as the English press makes out to be.
Ivory Coast looked really, really dangerous once the manager wised up and put Drogba in the game. He's the best African-born striker in the history of the sport, and he's on the bench for the first 60 minutes.

6/15/2014 7:23 pm  #13

forsberg_us wrote:

I tip my cap to you guys for your interest. I watched about 20-30 minutes of that Uruguay/Costa Rica match. I saw more headbands than shots in the direction of the net and couldn't take any more of it.

Based on the first four days, this is so far the most exciting World Cup I've ever seen. Even the game involving the Swiss had drama today, and the Swiss are usually about as exicting as ... well, you'd expect the Swiss to be.

6/16/2014 9:53 am  #14

Yeah the Ecuador Switzerland game was brilliant. Excellent counter there at the end. The first Netherlands goal is still up there for Goal of the Tournament to me.

Honduras was overmatched by France pretty soundly. I'll be honest I didn't really care much about the Japan//Ivory Coast match, it was maybe one of the more boring matches to me.

Today however (and I will be absent from this forum to avoid being told spoilers) is exciting. I will be golfing after work and hoping nobody tells me anything about Germany/Portugal or the US match. I'll check back in with this when I'm caught up though.

6/16/2014 10:44 am  #15

alz wrote:

Yeah the Ecuador Switzerland game was brilliant. Excellent counter there at the end. The first Netherlands goal is still up there for Goal of the Tournament to me.

Honduras was overmatched by France pretty soundly. I'll be honest I didn't really care much about the Japan//Ivory Coast match, it was maybe one of the more boring matches to me.

Today however (and I will be absent from this forum to avoid being told spoilers) is exciting. I will be golfing after work and hoping nobody tells me anything about Germany/Portugal or the US match. I'll check back in with this when I'm caught up though.

I'll refrain from posting until I see something from you at the end of the day.

6/16/2014 11:50 am  #16

I know I said I wouldn't post anything while the matches are in progress, but you're going to want to watch the first half of Germany/Portugal. There's an event that has huge ramifications for the USMNT.

6/16/2014 7:29 pm  #17

Can't ... post. ... Promised ... Alz ... I .. wouldn't ,..

6/16/2014 9:53 pm  #18

USA! Kind of sucks they played defense for 90 minutes of that game... and no idea what happens with altidore... he's clearly in bad shape.

I just finished watching. Haven't seen iran/Nigeria yet. With that red card, doesn't that keep that Portugal player out for the next game too?

Yeah so pepe is out and they lost another dude potentially to a hamstring. My sympathies there, the USA can relate.

But when the US went offensive, I loved what I saw. Let's hope for a win against Portugal, at least a draw.

Last edited by alz (6/16/2014 10:01 pm)

6/16/2014 10:18 pm  #19

"Haven't seen iran/Nigeria yet."

That's probably one you can skip.

"With that red card, doesn't that keep that Portugal player out for the next game too?"

Yep. And it couldn't happen to a more deserving guy. The only better thing that could have happened is one of the Germans kicking CR7 in the teeth.

"Let's hope for a win against Portugal, at least a draw."

With Portugal's minus-4 goal differential, a draw probably gets the U.S. through, no matter what happens against Germany. Unless, of course, Ghana knocks off Germany.

6/17/2014 8:59 am  #20

Portugal game is going to be interesting. I'm still curious what the US is capable of offensively. I liked a lot of what I saw from the defense. There were some chances surrendered, and the goal they allowed was brought by a very very good no look back heel pass. If that's what it takes to score against the US I think we'll be very difficult. I didn't see a whole lot of offensive danger from Portugal. Ronaldo spent most of his camera time screaming at the ref or his teammates and not doing anything with the ball. He might be fantastic, but right now nobody seems to be on the same page with him, which makes him nearly useless outside of free kicks.

Still though, losing Altidore hurts. When Jose is playing with confidence, he's dangerous. He can make plays alone. Johanson (spelling) isn't really the same threat at all. I'm hoping that Altidore will be back in the World Cup after group... It seems unlikely...

The more I look at Dempsey getting kicked through his face the more I'm amazed nobody saw it... I wonder what the ref thought when he went over to check on Dempsey and saw his bloody face... Totally missed yellow card booking there.

Again though, I'm thrilled with the result, and looking forward to a possibly vulnerable Portugal side. One more result and we're through group. Germany looked very strong, so I'll feel a lot better if we DON'T need any points coming into the match with those guys.

6/18/2014 8:21 am  #21

I've been really impressed with CONCACAF in this world cup I must say. 3-1-1 so far. Mexico's goalie Ochoa (spelling, I'm too lazy to look it up) deserves a serious pay raise after yesterday. I don't know what they are paying him, but it can't be enough.

6/18/2014 8:46 am  #22

I was having car trouble yesterday and only got to see highlights, but Ochoa, in hockey parlance, stood on his head yesterday.
That aside, if I were rooting for Brazil, I would have some serious concerns right about now. The great Brazilian teams of the past would have overcome even spectacular goalkeeping, and found a way to win that game comfortably.
I've said for a year that Brazil is overrated. The Brazilians thought this tournament was going to be a cakewalk, to the point of hoping they play Uruguay in the final so they can avenge their loss in 1950.  Brazil may very well end up winning the tournament, but they're going to have to beat at least two better teams to do it.

6/18/2014 1:43 pm  #23

I haven't been amazed by Brazil either. I felt the 3-1 result against Croatia was more the result of two very bad calls (one giving them a PK goal, the other taking a legal goal from Croatia). Mexico was not routed in that game. They sent about 5 balls whistling within a foot of the crossbar and had some very good chances (including the one which resulted in a good save with a very dangerous up the middle of the box rebound that nobody from Mexico was able to get to).

So far I'm only terrified of the Germany. This list may grow, or shrink at my whim. Plenty of teams worry me, but Germany looks absolutely scary good. We need to get a result against Portugal.

6/18/2014 1:52 pm  #24

Ronaldo supposedly left Portugal's practice early today and there's a rumor floating around the British media that he may be done for the rest of the tournament. 

6/18/2014 1:57 pm  #25

artie_fufkin wrote:

Ronaldo supposedly left Portugal's practice early today and there's a rumor floating around the British media that he may be done for the rest of the tournament. 

That's just heartbreaking. I'll need to send him a get well soon card. After I dance my little happy dance that is.

Board footera