You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/19/2014 2:19 pm  #1

Redskins' trademark canceled

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-redskins-trademark-20140619-story.html

Good that someone, the U.S. Patent Office in this instance, finally recognized what the NFL will not. 
If the owner of a NFL expansion franchise wanted to call his new team the Jungle Bunnies or the Wetbacks or the Kikes, there would be riots. So why should Native Americans have to put up with the "Redskins" name because a unrepentant racist owned the team 80 years ago?

6/19/2014 2:56 pm  #2

Re: Redskins' trademark canceled

Yeah this will likely alarm many people here given my history with "thought police" and stuff like that...

I totally agree. Redskins likely needs to go. It's unfortunate with the branding needing to change, because that does cost millions of dollars. I don't think Snyder should be forced into this decision, but I think it's one he should embrace. Eventually they will change names, mostly because the city of Washington DC won't fund anything regarding a stadium until they do, and it will be difficult to relocate the franchise without changing the name as well. I think Snyder would do well to embrace it now, take the lumps, and at least attempt to look like a decent person here who's trying to do the right thing. So far he hasn't. He's anchored himself directly in the path of a social hurricane, and he'll look absolutely terrible before this is all said and done.

Board footera