You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/29/2010 4:05 pm  #1

These leaks . . .

will do us more good than harm, the way things look so far, and this will feed the conspiracy theories that this is some trick of American diplomacy.

Two things worth noting.  First, the political revelation for some naive people that political leaders, even those from strong one-man / one-party systems, sometimes cannot say the obvious: "Mubarak added that Iran's support of terrorism is "well-known but I cannot say it publicly. It would create a dangerous situation."" 

Now, let's just tally up the things that were suddenly said publicly:

1. It's the Middle-Eastern arab countries that are pushing us to bomb Iran.

2. Syria continues to supply Hezbollah with weapons.

3. more than 9 years after 9/11, wealthy Saudi Arabians continue to be the main funding source Al Qaeda

4. The Chinese are assisting the Iranians with their nuclear program

5. The North Koreans (a Chinese client state) are assisting the Iranians with their missile program (based on a Russian design)

6. Iran has smuggled arms to Hezbollah

7. The Chinese are conducting computer sabotage

etc.

Yes, there is stuff that is embarrassing to us, but so far these leaks are far more helpful for shaping USA and world opinion for American policies than they are harmful.

Last edited by Max (11/29/2010 4:06 pm)

11/29/2010 4:23 pm  #2

Re: These leaks . . .

Max,

Do you really think so?

I subscribe to a lot of conspiracy theories but I don't see a single one of these items being public that will not do us more harm than good, either diplomatically or politically.

I lived through a period of time when a large majority of the American people wanted us to take out Cuba as soon as they learned that the Russians had nuclear weapons there.  What our government didn't know, and of course the public couldn't have known, was that they already had missiles armed and ready to fire automatically upon any invasion by the time we were in a position to act.

Distrust of public opinion is a dangerous weapon and, as in the case of the Warren Commission and escalation of the Vietnam war, it has, in my opinion, led to some very bad moves.  But I don't see how China bashing or creating an atmosphere in which folks like Mubarak are unwilling to have candid discussions with our government serves our public interest in the least.

Do you really think it makes more sense to take on China now than it did in 1952?

Last edited by Mags (11/29/2010 4:23 pm)

11/29/2010 5:07 pm  #3

Mags wrote:

Max,

Do you really think so?

I really think it helps shape public opinion to further American ends.

I do not necessarily think that means it is foreign policy trick by the USA, but I think that will be an inescapable consequence in many parts of the world, where conspiracy theories about the American government proliferate, e.g. rural Pakistan, western North Carolina, etc. 

I do not think we should take China on, and do not promote China bashing.  But a fair accounting of the dark side of their foreign policy is crucial to promoting a balanced opinion of American foreign plocy in some parts of the world, specifically SE Asia, South Korea, the Mideast, etc.

I think American conservatives who are all gung ho to bomb Iran should notice the intersection of their foreign policy objectives with those of the House of Saud and other Mideast royal families and reflect.  Ditto for, American liberals, who blame all saber rattling toward Iran upon the Israelis.

11/30/2010 4:02 am  #4

I agree with Mags.  There could be equally damning info why the USA isnt doing something about those issues and reason they want the leaks to stop is beause they dont want the bag of worms to be opened.

11/30/2010 11:24 am  #5

APRTW wrote:

I agree with Mags.  There could be equally damning info why the USA isnt doing something about those issues and reason they want the leaks to stop is beause they dont want the bag of worms to be opened.

Notice the key qualifier: "the way things look so far".

We'll just have to see, and I suspect they will be studying these leaks in political science graduate programs for decades.  So, no one can say how history will view all this.  My point was that, of the leaks released thus far, they say a lot of helpful things, things that would have been difficult to say publicly unless they were leaked.

11/30/2010 12:16 pm  #6

Helpfull as in

"1. It's the Middle-Eastern arab countries that are pushing us to bomb Iran. we are being used in pawns in there of needless fighting

2. Syria continues to supply Hezbollah with weapons.and we would rather nobody know then the truth come out.  Making the this war seem even less about WMD and world saftey

3. more than 9 years after 9/11, wealthy Saudi Arabians continue to be the main funding source Al Qaedathe war has dont nothing to cripple the powers that be

4. The Chinese are assisting the Iranians with their nuclear programwe are scared shitless of the chinese

5. The North Koreans (a Chinese client state) are assisting the Iranians with their missile program (based on a Russian design) again we are scared of the Chinese"

ECT... political spin can always be spun the other way too.

Last edited by APRTW (11/30/2010 12:16 pm)

11/30/2010 1:40 pm  #7

All of your points in bold are excellent analyses that further American aims:

"we are being used in pawns in there of needless fighting": i.e. we aren't the problem in Middle East (this is what Al Qaeda has been propagating to would-be terrorists)

"and we would rather nobody know then the truth come out.  Making the this war seem even less about WMD and world saftey": Rather, it is politically dangerous to say this publicly, but we are pleased that the information is public.  Take home message for all: Syria is not to be believed and Hezbollah not to be trusted.

"the war has dont nothing to cripple the powers that be": Kudos to you for figuring that out.  Now let's hope lots of other people form the same conclusion so that we generate the public support to stop spending a billion dollars a month there in an exercise that our own military thinks merely creates enemies faster than we kill them.

"we are scared shitless of the chinese": not us, per se, we could kick their ass.  but we can no longer keep the chinese out of everywhere else around the globe (i.e. containment is a thing of the past), and everyone else should be fully cognizant that the alternative to an American led world is now a Chinese led world, and everyone should be aware of the consequences of that choice when they naively criticize American hegemony, and naively discuss alternatives, including what a Chinese led world would be like.

"again we are scared of the Chinese": only if you say we were 'scared' of the USSR and Cuba.  The rest of the world needs to be scared.  We can still take care of ourselves, but other countries need to be thinking about who will protect them from the North Koreans, the PRC, and the other client states of the PRC.

I don't think we disagree too much about what the cables mean, just whether they are good for us or bad for us.  So far, I think they look very good.

Last edited by Max (11/30/2010 1:41 pm)

11/30/2010 3:21 pm  #8

""we are scared shitless of the chinese": not us, per se, we could kick their ass. "

We cant even kick a third world countries ass.  China has alot hanging over the USA's head.

11/30/2010 5:00 pm  #9

APRTW wrote:

""we are scared shitless of the chinese": not us, per se, we could kick their ass. "

We cant even kick a third world countries ass.  China has alot hanging over the USA's head.

That's not really true.  We kicked Iraq's ass, totally and thoroughly.  The problem was mission creep, where we decided instead of simply dismantling their WMD programs, we decided it needed to be about regime change, and then bringing democracy to Iraq.  Lesson: we can kick their ass, but we can't turn shit into gold. 

The same is true, more or less, of the Taliban.  Their ass was pretty thoroughly kicked by the end of 2001, but mission creep took over again, and pretty soon we were trying to bring stability and democracy to a part of the world where that is about as likely as a Ramadan lunch special in Mecca featuring draft beer and pork ribs.

11/30/2010 11:09 pm  #10

The following article doesn't paint such a bad picture of China visa vie North Korera in the Wikileaks disclosures:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/11/30/wikileaks-reveals-plans-north-korean-collapse/

If the article is accurate, however, the leak does undermine China's ability to gain access to information about what is going on in North Korea and to influence events there.

Incidentally, on a complete aside.  I note the article says that China would be willing to accept a unified Korea under a Seoul government and that it would offer economic possibilities for China.  I am glad the Chinese can see that since it should be obvious to anyone who knows a damn thing about South Koreas economic development.  But the interesting point is the statement that the Chinese would not want to see American troops north of the demilitarized zone.  Big deal.  If we had a unified, democratic government for Korea, why the hell should we have any American troops anywhere on the peninsula?

12/01/2010 12:00 am  #11

Max wrote:

APRTW wrote:

That's not really true.  We kicked Iraq's ass, totally and thoroughly.  The problem was mission creep, where we decided instead of simply dismantling their WMD programs, we decided it needed to be about regime change, and then bringing democracy to Iraq.  Lesson: we can kick their ass, but we can't turn shit into gold. 

The same is true, more or less, of the Taliban.  Their ass was pretty thoroughly kicked by the end of 2001, but mission creep took over again, and pretty soon we were trying to bring stability and democracy to a part of the world where that is about as likely as a Ramadan lunch special in Mecca featuring draft beer and pork ribs.

The mission all along was to take over their government.  It is the only way you accomplish anything.  Otherwise the US would have to going in every 8 years and blow the shit out of their country again.  Like we had to from the time Bush bombed them to the time Bush bombed them.  The difference is that China is allowed to have a growing arm, air force, WMD and knows how to use them.  Not only that but most of the US's industry is in China and unless I am wrong most of the money we borrow is from them.  Fighting China would make the Taliban look like a cake walk.

12/01/2010 12:03 am  #12

Coincidentally, I was about to post this, which I grabbed from a former student's facebook.  In my estimation, Lee Kuan Yew is one of the wisest, most intelligent leaders of the past half century.  He is almost always going to have it pegged correctly.  His version is that China will not give up North Korea, which they view as an essential buffer state.  According to LKY, the Chinese feel that a nuclear North Korea is better than no buffer state, even if that leads to a nuclear Japan.  This is fascinating reading, especially if you take my word on LKY.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/us-embassy-cables-documents/210110

12/01/2010 12:10 am  #13

For example, I love this take: "Jiang did not like Hu, but could not stop him, because Hu had the backing of the system and he did not make mistakes."  Doesn't that just about sum up most of the SOB's who ever got in your way: Risk-averse products of the system?

12/01/2010 10:24 am  #14

Max wrote:

Coincidentally, I was about to post this, which I grabbed from a former student's facebook.  In my estimation, Lee Kuan Yew is one of the wisest, most intelligent leaders of the past half century.  He is almost always going to have it pegged correctly.  His version is that China will not give up North Korea, which they view as an essential buffer state.  According to LKY, the Chinese feel that a nuclear North Korea is better than no buffer state, even if that leads to a nuclear Japan.  This is fascinating reading, especially if you take my word on LKY.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/us-embassy-cables-documents/210110

And if that is true then here comes WWIII.  The USA wont stand by while any of that happens.

12/01/2010 10:49 am  #15

Max wrote:

This is fascinating reading, especially if you take my word on LKY.

An indispensable prerequisite.  Given the expansion of Singapore's economy, someone there deserves a lot of credit but I'm not sure it is LKY.

Frankly, Max, although you work very hard at being fair and balanced, you have a tendency to shore up your arguments by labeling those spokesmen you agree with a prophets in white hats and those you don't as sinister black-hats.

I can't imagine why China would feel it needs a "buffer state" or how North Korea could provide one of any value.  It sounds like a simple rehash of the argument that the far left in the U.S. and Europe used to excuse Stalinist oppression of half of the population of Europe.  I can't see any reason for not taking the Chinese at their word when they reportedly tell us privately (if the leaks are accurate) that they have no problem with a unified Korea.  I can't recall the Chinese ever taking less of a hard line in their diplomatic posturing than what they would actually accept.

12/01/2010 11:53 am  #16

Mags wrote:

I can't see any reason for not taking the Chinese at their word when they reportedly tell us privately (if the leaks are accurate) that they have no problem with a unified Korea.

I don't think I am playing white hat / black hat reasoning here.  As I read that article, it was a South Korean diplomat (or businessman?) telling an American diplomat that his reading of the Chinese position was that they would cave on a unified Korea if ROK dangled some business opportunities.  Opposed to that is LKY's reading.  Who has more of a vested interest in selling the Americans one vision or another of how South Korea can deal with the DPRK and PRC?  An active South Korean diplomat, or a retired Singaporean statesman?

My admiration for LKY comes from following him in the news for the past 15 years or so (he's a big deal when you live in SE Asia) and discovering through experience that he has been right about almost everything.  There are criticisms, to be sure, but I would much rather be a Singaporean than a Malaysian or an Indonesian, and we often overlook the fact that our options in life are typically A or B, and not "current condition" versus "ideal condition". 

In any case, LKY's interpretation makes sense in light of the reality of a nuclear DPRK.  Which superpower ever allowed one of their client states to openly develop and test nuclear weapons???  I think there is just the one example, and that indicates pretty strong support, IMO.

Last edited by Max (12/01/2010 11:54 am)

12/01/2010 3:21 pm  #17

I messed up totally on the cost of the wars, by the way.  According to this article, the war in Afghanistan alone costs us $2.8 billion a week!!!  That's not counting our post-combat occupation of Iraq. 

if anyone wants to play the 'balance the budget' internet game that I posted, cutting back on our wars goes a long way to balancing the budget.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/arianna-huffington/the-wikileaks-cables-smal_b_790158.html?utm_source=DailyBrief&utm_campaign=120110&utm_medium=email&utm_content=FeatureTitle&utm_term=Daily+Brief

12/01/2010 10:05 pm  #18

Max wrote:

Mags wrote:

I can't see any reason for not taking the Chinese at their word when they reportedly tell us privately (if the leaks are accurate) that they have no problem with a unified Korea.

I don't think I am playing white hat / black hat reasoning here.  As I read that article, it was a South Korean diplomat (or businessman?) telling an American diplomat that his reading of the Chinese position was that they would cave on a unified Korea if ROK dangled some business opportunities.  Opposed to that is LKY's reading.  Who has more of a vested interest in selling the Americans one vision or another of how South Korea can deal with the DPRK and PRC?  An active South Korean diplomat, or a retired Singaporean statesman?

My admiration for LKY comes from following him in the news for the past 15 years or so (he's a big deal when you live in SE Asia) and discovering through experience that he has been right about almost everything.  There are criticisms, to be sure, but I would much rather be a Singaporean than a Malaysian or an Indonesian, and we often overlook the fact that our options in life are typically A or B, and not "current condition" versus "ideal condition". 

In any case, LKY's interpretation makes sense in light of the reality of a nuclear DPRK.  Which superpower ever allowed one of their client states to openly develop and test nuclear weapons???  I think there is just the one example, and that indicates pretty strong support, IMO.

Although you've not won me over to your conclusion about the leaks, I really appreciate the information about LKY.  I frankly know almost nothing about Asian politics outside of their economies and Singapore has emerged as one of the best run operations in the world today.  I wish I'd had more than just a few dollars to invest in their ETF (EWS) a year ago.

Last edited by Mags (12/01/2010 10:06 pm)

12/01/2010 10:52 pm  #19

Singapore vehemently denies any allegations along the lines of the following, but his greatest stroke of genius might have come at the birth of the nation when the Federation of Malaya kicked Singapore out, thereby resulting in independence for wealthy, urban, cosmopolitan, Chinese dominated Singapore from poor, backward, rural, Malay dominated Malaysia.  To me, it is the single most brilliant "war of independence" that has ever been conducted anywhere in any age.

12/01/2010 11:10 pm  #20

Max wrote:

Singapore vehemently denies any allegations along the lines of the following, but his greatest stroke of genius might have come at the birth of the nation when the Federation of Malaya kicked Singapore out, thereby resulting in independence for wealthy, urban, cosmopolitan, Chinese dominated Singapore from poor, backward, rural, Malay dominated Malaysia.  To me, it is the single most brilliant "war of independence" that has ever been conducted anywhere in any age.

You probably won't like this but you and Thomas Sowell seem to be on the same page here.

12/01/2010 11:21 pm  #21

I had to google his name, and I didn't find much relating to his opinions of Singapore.  Did he suggest somewhere that Singapore conspired to get themselves kicked out of Malaysia, and thus spare themselves the cost of a war of independence?

12/02/2010 9:40 am  #22

Another damaging leak?  A few more like this and we'll have world opinion behind us again. 

"A confidential State Department cable made public this week highlights China's role in the U.S.-led war on terrorism.

The U.S. ambassador in far-off Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, confronted China's ambassador about a covert attempt by Beijing to bribe the government there to shut down the strategic U.S. military transit base at Manas in exchange for $3 billion in cash.

The Feb. 13, 2009, cable signed by Ambassador Tatiana C. Gfoeller revealed that Chinese Ambassador to Kyrgyzstan Zhang Yannian "did not deny categorically" the covert cash offer to close the base, which is a major transit and refueling point for U.S. troops and supplies heading into northern Afghanistan.

"After opening pleasantries, the ambassador mentioned that Kyrgyz officials had told her that China had offered a $3 billion financial package to close Manas Air Base and asked for the ambassador's reaction to such an allegation," the cable stated.

"Visibly flustered, Zhang temporarily lost the ability to speak Russian and began spluttering in Chinese to the silent aide diligently taking notes right behind him. Once he had recovered the power of Russian speech, he inveighed against such a calumny, claiming that such an idea was impossible, China was a staunch opponent of terrorism, and China's attitude toward Kyrgyzstan's decision to close Manas was one of 'respect and understanding.' "

The cable highlights what observers say has been China's behind-the-scenes, anti-U.S. strategy of seeking to undermine U.S. global counterterrorism efforts."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/dec/1/inside-the-ring-843880610/?page=2

Board footera