You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/07/2015 8:47 am  #1

St. Louis Raiders?

It might be happening...

1/07/2015 10:25 am  #2

Re: St. Louis Raiders?

Board your windows and secure your livestock.

1/07/2015 12:54 pm  #3

I don't know how I would feel about it. It would definitely be...odd. They've always been one of those teams that I've rooted to do well, plus they oppose the Chiefs and that gets big points from me.

1/07/2015 12:55 pm  #4

Also, they have one of the three best uniforms in the NFL, along with Arizona and Chicago.

1/07/2015 5:31 pm  #5

tkihshbt wrote:

It might be happening...

Any basis for this other than McKernan and his crew making it up during their radio show?

1/07/2015 6:04 pm  #6

forsberg_us wrote:

tkihshbt wrote:

It might be happening...

Any basis for this other than McKernan and his crew making it up during their radio show?

No, just trying to connect theoretical dots. People have started picking up on Nixon saying it's important to keep St. Louis an "NFL city" rather than a "St. Louis Rams city" during his announcement of Peacock and Blitz, and given that Kroenke isn't returning the calls of anyone associated with this project, there are two possibilities: 1) they are going forward with the stadium to try and convince the NFL and owners that Kroenke has no reason to move or 2) they are prepping for the team that loses out on LA.

1/07/2015 9:26 pm  #7

tkihshbt wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

tkihshbt wrote:

It might be happening...

No, just trying to connect theoretical dots. People have started picking up on Nixon saying it's important to keep St. Louis an "NFL city" rather than a "St. Louis Rams city" during his announcement of Peacock and Blitz, and given that Kroenke isn't returning the calls of anyone associated with this project, there are two possibilities: 1) they are going forward with the stadium to try and convince the NFL and owners that Kroenke has no reason to move or 2) they are prepping for the team that loses out on LA.

Jacksonville. Khan wanted to be here from the beginning, and I think Lamping was brought on board to make it happen.

1/08/2015 9:28 am  #8

I have no particular insight, just a feeling the Raiders won't leave the Bay Area as long as Mark Davis owns the team. He's trying to leverage someone in Northern California to build him a stadium like the one the 49ers just moved to, and he thinks by playing footsie with the mayor of San Antonio and letting the L.A. rumors linger he's strengthening his position.
But again, I'm surprised he's still the owner. He's not a football guy, and I would have thought by now he'd have taken the money and bought some chalet in Curacao or somewhere warm he could live out the rest of his days in relative affluence in a place where people won't make fun of that awful Dutch boy haircut he seems to favor.

1/08/2015 10:54 am  #9

I'm glad you mentioned his haircut because that is ridiculous.

1/08/2015 11:07 am  #10

tkihshbt wrote:

I'm glad you mentioned his haircut because that is ridiculous.

He looks like the illegitimate love child of Shemp Howard and Phyllis Diller.

1/08/2015 11:45 am  #11

Another twist: Phil Anschutz might try to block whatever Kroenke does in Los Angeles. There's also a rumor that Kroenke could sell the Rams, buy the Raiders and move them in. I'm getting exhausted keeping up with everything.

1/08/2015 1:00 pm  #12

tkihshbt wrote:

Another twist: Phil Anschutz might try to block whatever Kroenke does in Los Angeles. There's also a rumor that Kroenke could sell the Rams, buy the Raiders and move them in. I'm getting exhausted keeping up with everything.

Again, going by everything I've read, the Raiders aren't for sale. I'll say one thing in Davis' favor, he understands his limitations. He knows he's not a football guy, and he's doing his best to get football guys around him. Whether he's talking to the right football guys is another matter. His loyalty to Reggie MacKenzie has become perplexing. John Madden was a phenomenal coach in the '70s, but I'm not sure he's relevant today. Same with Mike Shanahan. But by bringing in Shaggy at least for a conversation, he's showed he's not going to be tied to his father's old grudges.

1/08/2015 2:09 pm  #13

artie_fufkin wrote:

tkihshbt wrote:

Again, going by everything I've read, the Raiders aren't for sale. I'll say one thing in Davis' favor, he understands his limitations. He knows he's not a football guy, and he's doing his best to get football guys around him. Whether he's talking to the right football guys is another matter. His loyalty to Reggie MacKenzie has become perplexing. John Madden was a phenomenal coach in the '70s, but I'm not sure he's relevant today. Same with Mike Shanahan. But by bringing in Shaggy at least for a conversation, he's showed he's not going to be tied to his father's old grudges.

I know Al Davis has been dead for a while, but depending on when things wrapped up with his estate, there may be a really large incentive to his son selling the team.  According to what I've heard, one of the reasons Georgia Frontiere's kids sold the Rams was that the inheritance tax was really high.  If he hasn't already paid the tax, Mark Davis may be enticed to sell the team in an effort to avoid the tax (if that's possible).

1/08/2015 2:12 pm  #14

I guess the theory is that Davis doesn't have the money or the juice to solve the Raiders stadium issue and Kroenke could vulture a share of the franchise like he did to the Rams in 1994 and fix everything. Whether this works or is even possible is unknown to me, though.

To me, the Raiders and Chargers being in Los Angeles just makes the most sense. St. Louis can support a football team and they have the willpower from leadership to get it done in a far saner way than what transpired in the early 1990s. But what makes the most sense seems to matter little here.

1/08/2015 5:22 pm  #15

I confess I don't know Davis' wealth. I'm pretty sure Al wasn't rich, by NFL owners' standards. He had no source of revenue other than the Raiders, and several years ago he had to sell shares of the team to pay for free agents (most of whom, particularly Javon Walker, were ill-advised signings).
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't think Los Angeles necessarily wants or deserves an NFL team. I can't think of another city other than Atlanta that has lost two teams in the same sport. Look at the Raiders' attendance figures in the '90s. They were drawing 40,000 to the Coliseum even when they were making the playoffs. I'm aware it's an embarrassment to the NFL that it doesn't have a stake in the second-biggest city in the country, but it seems to me the league has been doing just fine financially without a team in L.A.

1/09/2015 5:56 pm  #16

Nope, the city doesn't deserve it. It's just another feather in the cap for the Commish.

1/09/2015 6:31 pm  #17

tkihshbt wrote:

St.Louis can support a football team

Something doesnt click with st louis and the rams.  Idk what it is.  Im a viking fan because dad is.  Id gladly switch teams if there was a reason.  Ive almost ignored the nfl regular season for several years.  Im not rooting for the bears.  I just cant do it.  The vikings were good the last time the rams had a watchable football team.  Idk if that why the "greatest show on turf" shit was annoying as hell to me.  Or if it was because pretty boy, grocery bagger, Kurt Warner was the issue.  Still idk what the turn off is.  The fact the team suck?  The fact there isnt a "ram" within 1,000 of miles of St. Louis?  The idea a midwest football team plays in a pussy ass dome?  Id be a colt fan if they were not in the AFC.  Idk why but the AFC is like the AL to me.  I sort of ignore it.  Id get into st. Louis football if there was a reason.  Idk id the raiders coming there would do it or not.  Honestly i want a NFC type feel to the team. It is just hard for me to put a finger on what turns me off about the rams.

1/12/2015 9:07 am  #18

"Something doesnt click with st louis and the rams.  Idk what it is."

From an outsider's perspective, St. Louis has always been labeled as a "baseball town." Wasn't it Neil Lomax who once said Fredbird gets more commercial endorsements than he does?

1/12/2015 10:30 am  #19

artie_fufkin wrote:

From an outsider's perspective, St. Louis has always been labeled as a "baseball town." Wasn't it Neil Lomax who once said Fredbird gets more commercial endorsements than he does?

Neil Lomax had a face that looked like it had been run over by a cheese grater.  Not surprising Fredbird had more opportunities.

1/12/2015 10:43 am  #20

IMO, the "Baseball Town" label comes from 2 things: 1) Recent Cardinals attendance and 2) The departure of the football Cardinals. But the title is flawed in a couple of ways. For one, St. Louisans don't blindly support the baseball Cardinals--attendance wasn't very good in the early-mid 90s when Busch III was running the team because the team was awful. They've had a great run of attendance because they've had a hugely successful run of baseball since 96. Also, with regard to the football Cardinals leaving, people forget just how badly Bill Bidwell ran the team. Their draft had become a league-wide joke, and the team was pretty much awful other than a 3 year run in the mid-70s and the year Neal O'Donahue shanked a field goal to cost them the playoffs. 

The baseball team had a good run in the 80s, which probably hurt attendance at football games as well. But in large part, St. Louis has done a pretty good job of supporting crappy football.

Maybe that should be the pitch to the Raiders (sorry Artie, couldn't resist).

1/12/2015 11:34 am  #21

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

Neil Lomax had a face that looked like it had been run over by a cheese grater.  Not surprising Fredbird had more opportunities.

Fredbird has spots for that "cheap, cheap, fun, fun" store, doesn't he? I'm sure there weren't a lot of athletes climbing over each other for that one.

1/12/2015 11:42 am  #22

"Maybe that should be the pitch to the Raiders (sorry Artie, couldn't resist)."

Pissa. I'm up to my eyeballs in full-blown Patriots' braggodocio today and you unleash a gratuitous shot at the Raiders. Just friggin' pissa.

1/13/2015 10:13 am  #23

I still comtend the rams are a west coast team playing in the midwest.  Thats the feel.  Most the peolpe i know who went to a rams game went there to watch the other team.  I think mostly the team is supported by the city.  The cardinals on the other hand draw alot of non city attendance

1/13/2015 11:45 am  #24

"I still comtend the rams are a west coast team playing in the midwest."

My dad still calls them the "L.A. Rams," so if they move back, he'll be accurate again.

Board footera