You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/28/2015 3:23 pm  #1

Super Bore! ... I mean Bowl.

I cannot remember being as disinterested in a Super Bowl in my entire life. I can't find it in me to root for either team. Seattle has a mouthy DB and a psychotic RB and generally just a team I can't get behind. New England is a hated rival. I'm personally cheering for a sinkhole on Sunday...

1/28/2015 8:34 pm  #2

Re: Super Bore! ... I mean Bowl.

alz wrote:

I cannot remember being as disinterested in a Super Bowl in my entire life. I can't find it in me to root for either team. Seattle has a mouthy DB and a psychotic RB and generally just a team I can't get behind. New England is a hated rival. I'm personally cheering for a sinkhole on Sunday...

Nah, I have no problem hoping the Patriots lose.

1/29/2015 9:58 am  #3

forsberg_us wrote:

alz wrote:

Ditto.
And I like Richard Sherman. A lot.

1/29/2015 10:50 am  #4

artie_fufkin wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

alz wrote:

Ditto.
And I like Richard Sherman. A lot.

If Sherman would shut up and stop making sure I knew how great he thought he was, I'd like him a lot more.

1/29/2015 2:11 pm  #5

Holla !

Last edited by don.rob11 (1/29/2015 2:12 pm)

1/29/2015 3:09 pm  #6

Yeah, I can't root for the Patriots. There's no way.

1/30/2015 9:40 am  #7

Kraft wants an apology from the people who have accused his team of cheating. That's like O.J. Simpson demanding an apology from the guy who killed his wife.

1/30/2015 11:14 am  #8

Prediction: New England 24, Seattle 20
Seahawks are driving for the winning score with less than 2 minutes left in the game. As Russell Wilson is about to cross the goal line on a QB keeper, he is suddenly and viciously gored by the antlers of a deer that has run onto the field from the New England sideline, dislodging the ball from his grasp. Brandon Browner puts down his joint long enough to recover the football at New England's 1-yard line.
The officials huddle in the center of the field and cite the as-yet-uninvoked "Buck Rule," which allows indigent wildlife to interfere with the game on the field as long as the outcome benefits a team that is owned by a person under 5-feet tall who has graciously hosted the NFL commissioner for a sleepover at his home within the past month, and if the game is being played in a state with a name that begins and ends with the same vowel.
Brady genuflects three times to kill the clock and the Patriots "win" their fourth Super Bowl.
Post-game, Seattle coach Pete Carroll complains that deer are not indigent to central Arizona, prompting narcissistic New England fans to call him a sore loser and whine that he is envious of the Patriots, even though the Seahawks have legitimately won more Super Bowls than the Patriots in the past decade. Brady dismissively advises Carroll to go read the rule book, and Belichick grumbles something mostly unitelligible about the use of cloven-hooved mammals in game plans since his days at the Naval Academy and he's surprised anyone is surprised that a 12-point buck ran onto the field at the precise moment Seattle was about to win the Super Bowl, and then says he's moving on to Week 1 of the 2015 season.
In response to the allegations his team benefitted unfairly from an obscure rule, Kraft commissions a blue ribbon panel of zoologists and biologists, all of whom coincidentally happen to live in New England, who independently come to the conclusion deer did in fact roam during a previous Ice Age what is now known known as the Phoenix metropolitan area. Kraft then demands an apology from the NFL, every person affiliated with the Seahawks, and the U.N. Security Council.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (1/30/2015 4:02 pm)

1/30/2015 11:55 am  #9

artie_fufkin wrote:

Seahawks are driving for the winning score with less than 2 minutes left in the game. As Russell Wilson is about to cross the goal line on a QB keeper, he is suddenly and viciously gored by the antlers of a deer that has run onto the field from the New England sideline, dislodging the ball from his grasp. Brandon Browner puts down his joint long enough to recover the football at New England's 1-yard line.
The officials huddle in the center of the field and cite the as-yet-uninvoked "Buck Rule," which allows indigent wildlife to interfere with the game on the field as long as the outcome benefits a team that is owned by a person under 5-feet tall who has gracuoiusly hosted the NFL commissioner for a sleepover at his home within the past month, and if the game is being played in a state with a name that begins and ends with the same vowel.
Brady genuflects three times to kill the clock and the Patriots "win" their fourth Super Bowl.
Post-game, Seattle coach Pete Carroll complains that deer are not indigent to central Arizona, prompting narcissisitic New England fans to call him a sore loser and whine that he is envious of the Patriots, even though the Seahawks have legitimately won more Super Bowls than the Patriots in the past decade. Brady dismissively tells Carroll to go read the rule book, and Belichick grumbles something unitelligible about the migratory habits of cloven-hooved mammals and then says he's moving on to the 2015 season.
In response to the allegations his team benefitted unfairly from an obscure rule, Kraft commissions a blue ribbon panel of zoologists and biologists, all of whom coincidentally happen to live in New England, who independently come to the conclusion deer did in fact roam during a previous Ice Age what is now known known as the Phoenix metropolitan area. Kraft then demands an apology from the NFL, every person affiliated with the Seahawks, and the U.N. Security Council.

Rec. Well done.

1/31/2015 10:27 am  #10

artie_fufkin wrote:

The officials huddle in the center of the field and cite the as-yet-uninvoked "Buck Rule," which allows indigent wildlife to interfere with the game on the field as long as the outcome benefits a team that is owned by a person under 5-feet tall who has graciously hosted the NFL commissioner for a sleepover at his home within the past month, and if the game is being played in a state with a name that begins and ends with the same vowel.
Post-game, Seattle coach Pete Carroll complains that deer are not indigent to central Arizona, prompting narcissistic New England fans to call him a sore loser and whine that he is envious of the Patriots, even though the Seahawks have legitimately won more Super Bowls than the Patriots in the past decade. Brady dismissively advises Carroll to go read the rule book, and Belichick grumbles something mostly unitelligible about the use of cloven-hooved mammals in game plans since his days at the Naval Academy and he's surprised anyone is surprised that a 12-point buck ran onto the field at the precise moment Seattle was about to win the Super Bowl, and then says he's moving on to Week 1 of the 2015 season.

A new instant classic.

1/31/2015 12:20 pm  #11

A great one, Artie. I'd like to share this with others, giving you credit as Artie_Fufkin from a nameless message board, if you're okay with that.

Last edited by JV (1/31/2015 12:20 pm)

1/31/2015 1:15 pm  #12

JV wrote:

A great one, Artie. I'd like to share this with others, giving you credit as Artie_Fufkin from a nameless message board, if you're okay with that.

Share away. I just hope I'm wrong.

2/01/2015 11:12 am  #13

Sports Guy's Patriots fan readers are declaring that Belichick has debunked both the spying and the deflating of footballs. Did I miss something?

2/01/2015 7:17 pm  #14

Just got the call to suit up at corner for the Seahawks.

2/02/2015 10:34 am  #15

artie_fufkin wrote:

JV wrote:

You were pretty close.

My favorite conspiracy theory of the evening was one I read that Goodell ordered Carroll not to hand the ball to Lynch for fear that Lynch was going to drop his pants and wiggle his dick at the crowd.

2/02/2015 4:37 pm  #16

tkihshbt wrote:

Sports Guy's Patriots fan readers are declaring that Belichick has debunked both the spying and the deflating of footballs. Did I miss something?

Last weekend, the narrative changed from "everyone hates us" to "everyone is against us," and that the Patriots were somehow the victims because they were caught letting the air out of their footballs.

2/02/2015 4:40 pm  #17

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

JV wrote:

You were pretty close.

My favorite conspiracy theory of the evening was one I read that Goodell ordered Carroll not to hand the ball to Lynch for fear that Lynch was going to drop his pants and wiggle his dick at the crowd.

OK, I've talked myself into believing that Carroll didn't give the ball to Lynch on second down because if he doesn't make it, the Seahwaks have to burn their last time out and they're committed to a pass on third down. It's the only logical explanation.

2/03/2015 8:30 am  #18

I dont agree with passing the ball in that situation just like the rest of the world.  However i see the decoy side of it too.  Patriots stacked the box to counter against the best runnning back in the league and there is an easy pass someplace on the field.  I can see going that route.  However, dont throw the ball over the middle.  You have the fastest qb.  Roll him out.  Throw to the sidelines or back of end zone.  Dont throw into a stacked box.  There is people everywhere.

2/03/2015 9:17 am  #19

APIAD wrote:

I dont agree with passing the ball in that situation just like the rest of the world. However i see the decoy side of it too. Patriots stacked the box to counter against the best runnning back in the league and there is an easy pass someplace on the field. I can see going that route. However, dont throw the ball over the middle. You have the fastest qb. Roll him out. Throw to the sidelines or back of end zone. Dont throw into a stacked box. There is people everywhere.

Agree 100 percent. Throw a fade or a back shoulder throw toward the sideline. I don't recall them throwing that slant toward the middle all game. 

2/03/2015 10:09 am  #20

APIAD wrote:

I dont agree with passing the ball in that situation just like the rest of the world. However i see the decoy side of it too. Patriots stacked the box to counter against the best runnning back in the league and there is an easy pass someplace on the field. I can see going that route. However, dont throw the ball over the middle. You have the fastest qb. Roll him out. Throw to the sidelines or back of end zone. Dont throw into a stacked box. There is people everywhere.

Take it a step further--line up under center and run play action.  That should cause everyone to converge to the middle of the pile or at a minimum freeze the defenders.  Then you can roll out or throw something to one of the pylons.  Seattle completely telegraphed the play by running shotgun and motioning Lynch out of the backfield.  The only options were pass or a QB draw.

2/03/2015 10:11 am  #21

artie_fufkin wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

You were pretty close.

OK, I've talked myself into believing that Carroll didn't give the ball to Lynch on second down because if he doesn't make it, the Seahwaks have to burn their last time out and they're committed to a pass on third down. It's the only logical explanation.

My problem with that is if Carroll was really that concerned about the clock then snap the ball on 2nd down with 35 seconds left instead of letting the clock run all the way down to 25 seconds.  The Seahawks had plenty of time to run it 3 times if they had managed the clock correctly.

2/03/2015 10:30 am  #22

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

You were pretty close.

My problem with that is if Carroll was really that concerned about the clock then snap the ball on 2nd down with 35 seconds left instead of letting the clock run all the way down to 25 seconds.  The Seahawks had plenty of time to run it 3 times if they had managed the clock correctly.

Yeah, the clock management there was abysmal. The explanation here is that Carrolll was so intimidated by Belichick that he panicked. I'm not quite sure I buy that. Pete's been around for awhile. I think he just out-smarted himself.

2/03/2015 10:35 am  #23

forsberg_us wrote:

APIAD wrote:

Take it a step further--line up under center and run play action.  That should cause everyone to converge to the middle of the pile or at a minimum freeze the defenders.  Then you can roll out or throw something to one of the pylons.  Seattle completely telegraphed the play by running shotgun and motioning Lynch out of the backfield.  The only options were pass or a QB draw.

It seemed to me the Seahawks in the fourth quarter went away from what made them move the ball in the second and third quarters - having Wilson run around and make plays. He was making the Patriots' pass rush look ridiculous, but in the fourth quarter he mostly stayed in the pocket. I think if as you suggest you take the snap from center and throw a roll out pass or even a bootleg there, he's gets in.

2/03/2015 7:12 pm  #24

The only flaw the seahawks offense has is when they try to act like every other team in the league.

2/04/2015 12:01 am  #25

I'm not sure how much people in other parts of the country care about our weather, but after a mild and almost snow-free December and early January, in the past two weeks, eastern Massachusetts has gotten between 48-56 inches of snow. Some communities got more than two feet during the "Blizzard of 2015" last Monday and Tuesday, and yesterday we got 16-18 more inches from a storm that was supposed to give us between 6-12. It's more snow than we've ever gotten in an 8-day period since the National Weather Service began keeping records. On top of the snow, it's been bitter, bitter cold, so nothing from last week has melted and what we got yesterday has piled on top. I have a pair of 8-foot snow piles at the end of my driveway.
Today might have been the worst traffic day ever in the infamous history of Boston traffic, which is somewhere between infuriating and meltdown-inducing even on a day in June when it's 70 degrees and sunny. The frigid weather has knocked out one of the lines on the subway system, which put even more people on roads that are already narrowed because of the snow. The area around the downtown hospitals was gridlocked for seven hours, and an ambulance going to Mass. General had to go the wrong way down a 1-way street to get a patient to the emergency room. My wife works in a building on the Cambridge/Boston line and it took her three hours to get home tonight. Her commute is 11 miles. My math skills are always suspect, but I believe that's less than 4 mph.
So, my point is, I'm watching the late news tonight, and the Mayor of Boston - who was elected last year and has proven thus far to be an utter jock-sniffing clown - has made his number one priority clearing the streets along the route of this stupid parade the city is having tomorrow for a team that doesn't even play in Boston, instead of the roads people use to get to work.
Memo to Mayor Walsh - you'd better be using all city funds and equipment for this nonsense, because if you go over your snow budget and start using state funds, I'm calling the governor and demanding an abatement on my state income taxes.

One other thing - one of the people on the street that was interviewed by the news station I was watching tonight breathlessly gushed she's a "diehard fan" of the Patriots who is looking forward to the parade tomorrow.
On her head, she was wearing a touque that was embroidered with a replica of a Cleveland Browns helmet.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (2/04/2015 12:12 am)

Board footera