You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/16/2015 1:00 pm  #1

Favorite SNL sketches

So I was watching the SNL 40th anniversary show last night and I figured I'd compile a list of my favorite all-time sketches:

1. Lord & Lady Douchebag - Buck Henry as a Victorian Era inventor, with a funny turn by Bill Murray as Salisbury. Classic in every respect.
2. Schweddy Balls - Alec Baldwin, Molly Shannon and the eternally underrated Ana Gasteyer on an NPR-type show about holiday pastry. More double entendres than a Groucho Marx monologue.
3. Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute - Ackroyd and  Margot Kidder. When he goes into "the snake" among his "seductive poses," I always lose it.
4. Mephistopheles on the People's Court - This one doesn't get remembered much, but Lovitz's "It's not you, Doug" has rare subtely for an SNL sketch. 
5. Celebrity Jeopardy - Most of them are pretty good, but my favorite is the one with Norm MacDonald's Burt Reynolds impression.
6. Sarah Palin interviewed by Katie Couric - Loathe as I am to acknowledge the Tina Fey/Amy Poehler era, Fey's Palin impression is classic. 
7. The Sinatra Group - Hartman's Sinatra was so much bettter than Piscopo's. This was based on the McLaughlin Group, with Jan Hooks as Sinead O'Connor, to whom Hartman refers as "Uncle Fester."
8. Bush/Dukakis debate - Worth it just for Lovitz's "I can't believe I'm losin' to this guy" line. 
9. More Cowbell - Points off because Jimmy Fallon is in it, but Ferrell and Walken are hilarious.
10. Bass-o-Matic - Ackroyd with his very best sleazy salesman bit.

Discuss ...

Last edited by artie_fufkin (2/16/2015 1:01 pm)

2/16/2015 1:31 pm  #2

Re: Favorite SNL sketches

I'll have Le tits now , for 200 Alex.........

2/16/2015 6:07 pm  #3

don.rob11 wrote:

I'll have Le tits now , for 200 Alex.........

That was a highlight last night. Whoever did the Christophe Waltz impression was very good.
I neglected to include in my list the Myles Cowperthwaite sketch with Michael Palin from the '70s. It's somehow gotten lost to time, but it's hilarious. And it gets a sketch with Belushi on my list. That was a bad omission.

2/16/2015 6:08 pm  #4

All great choices. I only saw the first hour..McCartney pushed me over the fence to Downton Abbey. I'll be sad when that guy's gone, but for now - meh, I'd rather hear the 1970 original, thanks much. Anyway... were all of those on last night's show? It was great to see so many Hartman sketches.

Pre-brainstorming, how about the one with Eddie Murphy as a jailhouse poet reciting "Kill My Landlord", nasty as all hell, before that silly laugh pops out?

2/17/2015 9:08 am  #5

"McCartney pushed me over the fence to Downton Abbey."

He was terrible, but he was still better than Paul Simon, who looked like they had just fished him out of the Harlem River. Miley Cyrus did surprisingly good work with "Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover." I thought she just twerked. I didn't know she can really sing.
They didn't show all those sketches. There were clips of most of those on my list. It was, predictably, a "Greatest Hits" show, but there was also some new material, notably a new version of Celebrity Joepardy with Sean Connery, Justin Bieber (sp?), Tony Bennett and Burt Reynolds/Turd Ferguson.
There was some tedium. I probably haven't watched a full episode in 15 years, so I didn't get to appreciate the "The Californians" are much as I might have. And Jerry Seinfeld came out and did a 10-minute thing that was, of course, all about him. 
Eddie Murphy's appearance was awkward. Chris Rock did a fawning and mostly deserved tribute to him, then Murphy came out and just basically said "Thank You," at which point he expected them to cut to a commercial, but they left him hanging there.
Best new line of the night was from Jane Curtin. She, Yina Fey and Poehler did Weekend Update, and Curtin said, "I used to be the only blonde woman doing fake news. Now there's a whole network of them," and they cut to a graphic of Fox News.

Board footera