You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/09/2015 12:07 pm  #1

Women's World Cup.

Truly this is the tournament every American should get behind, because our women are some of the best in the world at Soccer. Unlike the men, who are simply not there yet. It gets far less publicity than the men's tournament, but the soccer is actually more entertaining for the casual fan. It just feels like there's more space and more scoring in the women's game. 

USA beat Australia despite a very rough 1st half where Hope "I'ma whip that ass" Solo bailed the US out of 2 big shots that both would have been goals against a lesser keeper.

Thought a lot about Hope Solo and whether I think she should be playing or not. I'm glad she's in that net. For her case? ...... Honestly I could care less whether athletes make great decisions, or are role models. I stopped treating them with that reverance a long time back, and have NEVER taught my child to revere these people as anything more than athlete-entertainers. So if Hope Solo beat up her 6'8 280 nephew? She's a jerk, throw her in jail, but if she's not in jail? Put her in goal, she's the best the US has, and possibly the best in the world.

If sports want to adopt a rule that players are automatically suspended when they have criminal legal proceedings going against them, I'm cool with it. They don't however, and to pick and choose the worthy cases because that crime is worse than this crime, and it's the league's duty to suspend.... I've just never felt that way. Hope is no exception. If the US Gov't hasn't put her in jail, she can play if the US team wants her. 

6/09/2015 7:08 pm  #2

Re: Women's World Cup.

You don't see a lot of blonde Koreans ...

6/09/2015 7:09 pm  #3

"If sports want to adopt a rule that players are automatically suspended when they have criminal legal proceedings going against them, I'm cool with it."

The Patriots wouldn't be able to field a team.

6/29/2015 12:25 pm  #4

Girls in the semi's next match against Germany tomorrow evening. 

Seem to be playing better as the tournament goes. Down 2 big players, they generated a lot of good chances, and their defense was seriously overwhelming. It will be fun to see them go against Germany as they are the #1 and #2 teams in the FIFA rankings (Germany being #1)

6/30/2015 10:11 am  #5

I have a couple of friends who are driving to Montreal to watch the game. 
Best part of the tournament so far has been the Brazilian coach complaining that the format has been designed to esnure the Americans win. This after the U.S. was drawn into a group with two other teams ranked in the top 10 (while Brazil's group didn't have another team in the top 15), and then facing Germany in the semifinals.

6/30/2015 10:45 am  #6

artie_fufkin wrote:

Best part of the tournament so far has been the Brazilian coach complaining that the format has been designed to esnure the Americans win. This after the U.S. was drawn into a group with two other teams ranked in the top 10 (while Brazil's group didn't have another team in the top 15), and then facing Germany in the semifinals.

Don Mattingly coaches soccer?

6/30/2015 12:04 pm  #7

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

Don Mattingly coaches soccer?

LOL. Mattingly is an amateur griper compared to the Brazilian women, who think FIFA is out to get them at the expense of the American women. Brazil has played 31 games against the U.S. and won three of them. And some of the losses, especially in the most crucial games, have been excruciating. Brazil has been knocked out of the WC twice and three times in the Olympics by the U.S. Brazil's only big time win over the U.S. was in the WC semifinals in 2007.
And Brazil's window is probably shut now that they've exited the WC. After the Olympics in Rio next year, Marta's international career is done, and the rest of South America is going to start to catch up to them. 

6/30/2015 6:58 pm  #8

That's a good first half. I don't think you change much of anything. There's a lot of space down the left side with Rapinoe. They just need to finish.
Julie Johnston is having a phenomenal tournament at center back. She's been the USA's best player.

6/30/2015 7:22 pm  #9

Well there's a bit of a break.

6/30/2015 7:24 pm  #10

Why is Bruce Jenner playing goal for Germany?

6/30/2015 7:45 pm  #11

Ballgame!!!

6/30/2015 8:05 pm  #12

forsberg_us wrote:

Why is Bruce Jenner playing goal for Germany?

She's eligible after the "procedure."

6/30/2015 8:09 pm  #13

forsberg_us wrote:

Ballgame!!!

I almost hope they get Japan in the final. They won't overlook the Japanese like they did four years ago. They'd be huge favorites against England, which worries me, because the English are playing well.

6/30/2015 8:22 pm  #14

artie_fufkin wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

Ballgame!!!

I almost hope they get Japan in the final. They won't overlook the Japanese like they did four years ago. They'd be huge favorites against England, which worries me, because the English are playing well.

I think it's been 70 years since the U.S. Defeated both Germany and Japan in competition.

6/30/2015 8:39 pm  #15

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

Ballgame!!!

I think it's been 70 years since the U.S. Defeated both Germany and Japan in competition.

There have been some WWII rematches in this tournament.
There's a legendary story about a match between West Germany and England in the 1970 men's World Cup. West Germany won in one of the knockout rounds, and one of the sportswriters from Germany yelled at the British press contingent "Vee beat you at your own game!!" One of the British journalists replied, "Yeah, well 25 years ago, we beat YOU at YOUR own game."
An English team hasn't beaten a German team (West Germany or big Germany after unification) in a elimination game in either the men's WC or the European Championships since 1966.

7/01/2015 7:50 pm  #16

OMG that poor girl.

7/01/2015 8:41 pm  #17

artie_fufkin wrote:

OMG that poor girl.

Yeah, that's going to sting a while.

At least she's not Columbian.

7/01/2015 9:23 pm  #18

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

OMG that poor girl.

Yeah, that's going to sting a while.

At least she's not Columbian.

Yeah, it was bad for your health if you gave up an own goal when Pablo Escobar had money invested in you.
On one hand, I think she'll be OK. England was the most unlikely of the four semifinalists. The English men's team has underachieved for so long, the country was really proud the women made it that far.
On the other hand, it's English football. There could be 4,000 drunken hooligans waiting to throw rotten fruit at her when the team plane lands at Heathrow.

7/01/2015 10:16 pm  #19

Uh-oh. I was kind of kidding about the rotten fruit, but ...
From the Daily Mail's message board:

dogooder, Edinburgh, United Kingdom, 1 hour ago: Laura Bassett should do a walk of SHAME! Millions of people should line the streets and throw tomatoes at her while she walks through LONDON to the Royal Residence and PERSONALLY apologise to the Queen and her announce her IMMEDIATE retirement from the England team! These things are unforgivable but we should show compassion, but NOT before the tomato throwing.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (7/01/2015 10:17 pm)

7/02/2015 11:37 am  #20

Hopefully it will be okay for her. In truth, she made the right decision to clear that crossing ball away. She just absolutely had the worst hit in the world. Wasn't nearly as glaring of an error as the one the Japanese Goalie made against Norway. 2-0 and a nice easy 1 hopper to the goalie, who lets it come in, hit the ground, bounce up, hit her in the right arm area, and go it directly behind her. 

Wierdest thing I've ever seen. Wasn't a "soft" goal, it was a "WTF are you sleeping back there???" goal. 
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11470474

Last edited by alz (7/02/2015 12:49 pm)

7/02/2015 5:41 pm  #21

It's hard to tell, but is that the really tall keeper who has since been relegated to backup duty? She of the lack of athleticism that the commentator unfortunately described during the Switzerland game as the "chink in her armor?"
"Howler" is perhaps the most appropriate term for one of these things. Usually, I see it applied to something Joe Hart has done.
(For the casual soccer fans, Joe Hart is the English men's team's starting keeper. Sort of the way Josh Collmenter was the Diamondbacks' opening day starter this season.)

7/04/2015 5:36 pm  #22

A little redemption for the English women.

You know what Ice noticed in the games I watched?  The women don't flop nearly as much as the men do. Pretty funny.

7/04/2015 7:16 pm  #23

forsberg_us wrote:

A little redemption for the English women.

You know what Ice noticed in the games I watched? The women don't flop nearly as much as the men do. Pretty funny.

They don't. In fact, one of the criticisms of the U.S. women's team back in the '90s was they didn't know how to flop, and it cost them free kicks. The South American men are the worst. The Copa America final looked like an Olympic diving competition sometimes.

7/05/2015 6:06 pm  #24

That's a good start.

7/05/2015 6:27 pm  #25

I've only been watching soccer regularly for about a dozen years, but I've only once ever seen a team not win a game it was leading by four goals in the first half.

Board footera