You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/07/2015 4:37 pm  #1

Pearl Harbor.

Dec 7, 1941. A day I don't remember. I was 34 years away from birth still. My mother was 4. Still though, 74 years later. There are still 9 remaining from the 335 survivors of the USS Arizona, among the 850,000 or so from 16 million who served in World War II who are still living among us. 

More than most my age though, I've read about it. I've watched video footage. Imagined myself as a young airmen in the face of that, and I thank God I never did. Maybe I'd have done well, maybe I'd have been overcome with fear, and disgraced myself. I signed up for the military, but I'll be the first to tell you I had no desire to fight. I always wonder if I'd have been honorable in a situation like that.

I've been to Hawaii, a luxurious paradise and Pearl Harbor was no different. Every inch of Hawaii is gorgeous. I've been on the Arizona memorial, seen the names there. Tried to imagine such a collection of young men 17-21 mixed with a smaller collection of older men leading them. I read some accounts today from 9 of the survivors of the Arizona. Things you'd just never think about. After the magazine stack went up, and the front of the ship dropped 20-30 feet from the rear... People trying to abandon ship from the superstructure (above the deck) with no way to get down. Jumping for the water. Some make it, others hit the deck instead. 

Don't forget them though, those veterans of WWII. They are incredibly old now, and will probably all be gone by 2030. Take a moment to think of what some of these moments that forged our country's reputation in war must have really been like. It's really quite insane to imagine a world where Iwo Jima wasn't just a movie with John Wayne, but a place that killed over 6000 Amercans in 5 weeks. 

If you know anyone who's a WWII veteran, take a moment to reach out to them, give them a hug.

12/07/2015 8:53 pm  #2

Re: Pearl Harbor.

Well said, Alz.

Board footera