You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/18/2016 3:05 pm  #26

Re: Prayers would be awesome.

Something uplifting in this particular world. 

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-fda-breakthrough-status-duke-university-cancer-therapy/

Since it's Brain Cancer Awareness Month, you should all read this. It's very very very promising

Edit: Melissa actually called them about this study. They were thrilled to hear from her, since she's young, and very early in this fight, and she's hypoglycemic, which is something they haven't really had in their trial patients. They took her name and told her to contact them if she has any reoccurrence after surgery. So that might be a very very very optimistic trial she can jump into.

Last edited by alz (5/18/2016 3:26 pm)

5/23/2016 11:05 am  #27

Surgery was Thursday. The doctors pulled 96% of the tumors and torched the other 4%. She's off chemo, follow up scan tomorrow to see where things are. 

She is doing very well to this point, in recovering from the very non-invasive surgery. I'll update as it happens. 

Always keep praying, wear gray!

5/23/2016 3:36 pm  #28

alz wrote:

Surgery was Thursday. The doctors pulled 96% of the tumors and torched the other 4%. She's off chemo, follow up scan tomorrow to see where things are. 

She is doing very well to this point, in recovering from the very non-invasive surgery. I'll update as it happens. 

Great news, Alz.

5/23/2016 3:46 pm  #29

alz wrote:

First off- great news.  Hope things continue to progress positively for both you and her.

Second- "non-invasive"???  If that's not a typo, and they were actually able to remove brain tumors in a non-invasive procedure, that a remarkable testament to the advances of modern medicine.

5/23/2016 3:53 pm  #30

Basically a pencil sized hole over the eye socket and some type of cable tool went in. Seemed strange to me too, but it sure did a great job, and she had nothing more than a small gauze pad over her eye to mark the issue.

Last edited by alz (5/23/2016 3:56 pm)

5/25/2016 2:23 pm  #31

Clean Scan yesterday, no new growth. Radiation clinical trial up next. trying to obliterate what remains there. So far so good.

Last edited by alz (5/25/2016 2:24 pm)

5/26/2016 9:29 am  #32

Im glad everything is headed in a positive direction.

5/26/2016 10:51 am  #33

alz wrote:

Clean Scan yesterday, no new growth. Radiation clinical trial up next. trying to obliterate what remains there. So far so good.

First off--good news.  Second, forgive me if this sounds stupid, but if the scan is clean and nothing new is growing, what are they trying to destroy with the radiation?

6/09/2016 10:55 am  #34

Sorry about missing this Fors. She just had clean scan #2. 

During the surgery they took 96% of the tumor. They left 4%, but "torched" it. I don't know if that was actually a heat element, or a chemical burn. The radiation is a clinical trial medication treatment that is hoping to shrink the remaining 4% to nothing. This doesn't cure the diagnosis however, it's just designed to prevent it from growing back there. To be honest, I don't know that I like that. If it's going to come back, I'd rather it come back in the place where there's room, but it is what it is. The one tangible benefit to her doing this trial is the advancement of medicine in this particular field. Glioblastoma can kill within weeks of being diagnosed. Depending on how long it grew before firing enough symptoms that it's host got it looked into by a doctor, and even if caught in time to provide options, it's so aggressive that most people do not survive 24 months. That severely limits the amount of candidates who can help out with medical advancements trying to find effective ways to fight this. 

Glioblastoma's (until possible recently when there was absolutely no "cure", now there possibly is) come back. You can get 100% of the tumor during surgery, and your body will build another. It's not a question of "will they", but a question of "when" sadly. That's just the nature of this particular beast. The scans will identify that the cancer is coming back. 

For us, that's important to identify immediately so we can get her into the Duke trial as a recurring patient, and explore a "humanitarian" admission even if she's not selected. 

Now that said, I have enormous hope for what is going on at Duke. They have cured this in their trial. Not enough to be declared legal medicine, but what they have done is successfully eliminate glioblastoma cells in their patients and any regrowth is being destroyed by the bodies immune system which is now identifying the cells as polio. At the end of the day, with stuff like this, all you have is hope. 

6/17/2016 2:11 pm  #35

Turns out that Duke hope might be something we call on sooner than we thought. 

Today's scan revealed a pea sized tumor, perhaps a second. Duke was called, release has been signed. We're going to have to give them a few days to review her file and hopefully they accept her into the study.

Last edited by alz (6/17/2016 2:11 pm)

7/11/2016 10:23 am  #36

I have been terrible about updating this. 

Duke was notified, and though my fiance was not accepted to the polio trial, as the new tumors (yes there were 3, not just the 1) were not biopsied. In truth they were not big enough to biopsy without just removing them. So since there is no confirmation of recurring glioblastoma, they cannot yet take her into that trial. 

Now the good news. That's not Duke's only trial, and they are now involved in her case. She's been on a different trial, some drug with no name (just a number), and conducting their work through BJC here so we're not travelling out to North Carolina. Her last scan took 4 runs to find any tumor evidence from the largest of the 3, so whatever that trial drug is, it's fantastic. She's in a "remission" state. There's still some left, but she was offered to quit that trial if she wanted to. She said no, and the treatment continues. 

So far, all news is good. We're going through scan to scan and fighting hard. 

7/11/2016 3:32 pm  #37

Good to hear. Wish you guys well

11/17/2016 10:49 am  #38

4 months later. Her last scan revealed growth, and there's another tumor growing in her brain stem that is involved with her spine. It is too risky to touch. They could do surgery and try, but it would buy her a couple of months at best, and the surgery will likely cause her other terrible physical issues. Her timeline is now 8-15 months. 3 weeks ago we were expecting maybe 7 years. So we're back in front of Duke hoping they have a miracle option. If not we'll pass her file to every major cancer center in the country and see if anyone wants to try something special on her. 

I know everyone reading this will have no ability to answer with anything more profound then simply, "I'm so sorry to hear that" or "We'll pray for you". In truth I am letting you all know this update while knowing full well that you are all just as helpless as I am. Life is so very unfair sometimes. The million "unexpected issues" are really bugging me. Things I never considered. I work a desk job, how do I do my job with this in the back of my mind? How do I listen to music without hearing the words because they kill me now? How do I see an elderly couple holding hands and not feel cheated?

Every day I am a little stronger for what I'm dealing with, and a little weaker knowing it's one less day I have with her. The time is being well spent, so that's something. It is precious, fun and valued. Christmas will be difficult considering it's probably our last. If we really get lucky, maybe we'll get a second. Maybe she'll live to see 37 years old... I wish I could truly explain the incredible highs and lows that come with this. I never thought (on either side) I'd experience emotions as strong as I have.

11/17/2016 2:31 pm  #39

I can't imagine what the two of you are going through. Keep fighting. As long as you're still in the ring, you have a chance.

11/17/2016 4:34 pm  #40

It's very hard to describe, but after 7 months of this. Humans have more than just "shock" to keep them protected. There's something of an emotional dulling too. You cannot be terrified of something forever. There's still fear, but it dulls. I do want to highlight that it isn't just pure bad. There's a real appreciation for a lot of shit that you would normally just blow off completely. The presence of anything decent and good is noticed now. It's highlighted and adored. I wish we lived every day of our lives as if we had few left. We'd all be much better people.

11/18/2016 11:41 am  #41

Damn, didn't read this until today.  You're right, I don't have any magic words.  I only wish you guys the best.

11/18/2016 4:39 pm  #42

I know. Me too. Thank you Fors

11/19/2016 4:11 pm  #43

Your words are very true alz.  I hope for many gratifying days for you both.

5/13/2017 1:39 pm  #44

Still thinking of you guys, Alz.

5/15/2017 7:59 am  #45

Definitely appreciate that! We're still living, she sleeps a whole lot more than she used to and has a pharmacy of meds she takes. Scans however are still showing her in remission, which can stop tomorrow or 20 years from now really, depending on when this decides it wants to grow again.

Board footera