You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/12/2010 10:05 am  #1

TLR Leaving? Holliday in right? Lynn K's 16

"Holiday in right?"

ATLANTA • After originally extending the offer two months ago, left fielder Matt Holliday has notified the Cardinals of his willingness to transfer to right field if the club believes it can improve itself by acquiring another left field talent.

Holliday told manager Tony La Russa and general manager John Mozeliak of his willingness after the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, but said Saturday it was not directly tied to the availability of Los Angeles Dodgers left fielder Manny Ramirez.

Ramirez eventually landed with the Chicago White Sox after the deadline.

"It would take some adjustment but I don't think it would be that big a deal," Holliday said Saturday.

Holliday has played exclusively in left field since his rookie 2004 season with the Colorado Rockies. He did appear in right field in the 2008 All-Star Game.

La Russa noted the offer before Saturday's game against Atlanta while voicing confidence in Holliday's ability to work the position.

"I didn't look at as a big thing, just a way to help," Holliday said.

The Cardinals traded right fielder Ryan Ludwick on July 31 and have projected Jon Jay and Allen Craig as a potential platoon at the position next season. However, the team's ongoing offensive struggles have left open the possibility of revisiting the position this winter.

"It came up as soon as we traded Ryan," La Russa recalled. "(Holliday) said, 'If there's somebody that just plays that one spot, I'll move.' He's an athlete. That would not be a problem at all."

Jay, 25, is hitting .315 with four home runs and 26 RBIs in 238 at-bats. Craig remains at Class AAA Memphis. Craig, 26, hit .202 with three home runs and 19 RBI in 99 at-bats with the parent club.

Lynn strikes out 16

Triple-A Memphis reached the Pacific Coast League championship series Thursday by defeating Oklahoma City 6-2 behind a dominant performance by starting pitcher Lance Lynn. He struck out 16 while allowing one run and three hits in seven innings. Lynn retired 18 consecutive hitters in one stretch.

His is the public face of a franchise rooted in class. Yet there are numerous nights when Cardinals manager Tony La Russa can't hide the deep burn following a loss, his impatience with the obvious or what he perceives as disrespectful questions. It's on those occasions that the post-game segment Fox Sports Midwest teases as "Tony TV" offers an uncomfortable edge.

Tony Leaving?
Some may see condescension while others may observe a justified reaction to a superficial process.

Others, looking deeper, believe they see a manager uncomfortable after 15 years in one place, a man looking toward his next opportunity or perhaps the end of a Hall of Fame career.

La Russa knows those perceptions exist. He knows because his wife Elaine reminds him after viewing Tony TV from the couple's Danville, Calif., home.

"She tells me, 'You don't do that well. You act like you're going to the dentist or something.'"

Entering the late stages of a one-year contract that includes no club or mutual options, La Russa understands that what he says and what he does invite heavy scrutiny.

Dugout incidents with several players also have fed a perception that he is weary of the job, or the job is weary of him.

The manager's on-camera scolds of reporters asking "big-picture" questions or his refusal to answer pertinent questions because the moment is "too raw" may bring some entertainment value, but they also feed the public's uncertainty about where he stands.

"It has nothing to do with the decision," he says. "I think it's an opinion shared by anyone who's been around for a while: the job is challenging enough. The highs are enjoyable but you can't enjoy them for long. The disappointments are painful and you carry them for much longer. It's part of the competition. What's made the job not as much fun is the combination of distractions of players due to money and security ... and the proliferation of media."

Two weeks ago, La Russa held his own introducing Albert Pujols before tens of thousands on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. However, dissecting a loss moments after the fact poses a larger challenge to someone who began managing in the major leagues during the Carter Administration.

"I think it's virtually impossible, if you care, to go out there and turn it off immediately," La Russa says of the fire he demands be brought into every game.

Yet he knows the perception of those nights when Jerry Springer meets Abner Doubleday, and it bothers him.

"When comments are made about 'condescending' and 'rude' I know I've got better human value than that. I don't like coming across that way. It's not the way I was taught," La Russa says.

Still, a season laced with disappointment has challenged La Russa perhaps as much as any in recent memory.

A lineup perceived as dangerous has been exposed as thin. A team once 16 games over .500 and five games up in the NL Central entered Sunday 73-67 and seven games behind the upstart Cincinnati Reds. There have been dugout dust-ups with several key players, isolated incidents that fed a dire perception.

"It's irritating. It's unfair," La Russa says. "This job is challenging enough without having to deal with that perception when it involves a one-time thing."

La Russa and general manager John Mozeliak maintain a solid working relationship, yet at times they've debated whether this team fits the description of an underachiever.

Recent social media correspondence by Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Buzz Bissinger has described La Russa as tired and fed up with managing and this team. The relationship between La Russa and Bissinger, who wrote the best-selling "Three Nights in August" after receiving generous access to the team and La Russa during the 2003 season, has become strained and perhaps irreversibly damaged.

All of which begs: Does La Russa stay or go?

Requesting a one-year contract over ownership's offer of a two-year arrangement plus an option for 2013 stoked a perception that La Russa is either waiting to see in what direction ownership will take the team or what opportunities may arise elsewhere after this season. He rejects both. La Russa says he would again wait for ownership's endorsement and a positive reaction from his clubhouse, the same formula he has followed since gaining tenure here.

"I can remember the contract before last. We did two (years) so there wouldn't be a question during the first year. ... It was phony because at the end of the year it was the same process. We just didn't do it this year," he says.

Approached by Chicago reporters in late July about his interest in the Cubs' job, La Russa sounded repulsed when dismissing the possibility.

La Russa said Friday his attitude about managing this team is unchanged from a year ago. He did not dispute a suggestion that barring dissatisfied ownership or a player coup he is likely to commit through at least 2011.

"I'm totally into seeing if we can get to October. I'm consumed by that," La Russa says. "I can definitely say the outcome will not determine (his return). If we win, it doesn't mean I'm done. If we lose, it doesn't mean I stay. It's a very good question, and I've heard it speculated both ways. Hey, if we lose, I may not get a chance to answer that. But my answer will not be influenced by the outcome."

His recent insistence that he and center fielder Colby Rasmus can co-exist as well as Friday's public commitment to hitting coach Mark McGwire suggest his stance is decided.

La Russa partly sidestepped a question whether organizational direction would affect his outlook.

"My expectation as manager of this club is based on the history of this franchise. The people in charge will believe they have a shot to win next year," La Russa says. "The opposite would be, 'Well, we don't think we can win so we're going to make a bunch of changes so we can win three years from now.' Maybe they'll decide that. But I think whoever the manager is, my guess is they're going to look at it and say, 'We want to take a shot to win.'"

When pressed, La Russa adds, "If they decide they want to go young and try to win three years from now and looked around and said, 'Who is the best manager to go through that process?' I'd consider it."

Tony TV will await.

Last edited by APRTW (9/12/2010 5:04 pm)

9/12/2010 10:11 am  #2

Re: TLR Leaving? Holliday in right? Lynn K's 16

Alot of interesting stuff there.  I think Tony is gone after this year.  Just a gut feeling.  He seems disinterested.

I dont know if Holliday is a good enough fielder to play right but it would be interesting to have the option to add a left fielder.  I dont see how it help unless they trade for someone because the outfield free agent class is crap.

It is always nice to see a guy in the minors with the ablity to strike out 16 and set down 18 straight hitters.

9/12/2010 10:37 am  #3

If the Phillies let Werth walk, the Cardinals could bump their payroll and add him. But that's wishful thinking.

9/12/2010 11:03 am  #4

tkihshbt wrote:

If the Phillies let Werth walk, the Cardinals could bump their payroll and add him. But that's wishful thinking.

That would be great.  Werth is an Illinois boy.   Dont know if he was a Cardinals fan or not.  He is really the only outfielder worth noting in the free agent class.  Everyone will be wanting him.  Unless we want to revist Adam Dunn.  If Holliday goes to right Dunn could stand in left.  That might be the worst outfield combo the cards have seen in the last 10 years.

9/12/2010 11:11 am  #5

APRTW wrote:

It is always nice to see a guy in the minors with the ablity to strike out 16 and set down 18 straight hitters.

I suppose, but it makes you wonder why we had to see Blake Hawksworth, Jeff Suppan, P.J. Walters, etc... when we didn't have a 4th or 5th starter.

The fact that we saw all of those guys and never even heard Lynn's name in consideration suggests they didn't think he was all that close.

9/12/2010 11:38 am  #6

Lynn had a disappointing year. He gave up seven home runs in 2008 and 2009 then gave up 21 this season. He'll have to re-establish himself next year.

One other thing about Holliday: him saying that he'd play right field is a sign that the clubhouse didn't have confidence in the offense. That Ludwick trade must still be sticking in their craw.

9/12/2010 12:01 pm  #7

What is everyones opinion on Holliday being able to play right?

I dont think he can do it.  He is a better left fielder then most give him credit for but playing right field in St. Louis is really tough.  I think he would be one of the worst right fielders in the league.

9/12/2010 1:34 pm  #8

tkihshbt wrote:

That Ludwick trade must still be sticking in their craw.

It probably is, but I don't see that as the issue here.  Here are my takes:

#1 Holliday wants to be seen as a team player.  Remember A-Rod offering to move the third when the Y's became interested in signing him?  Holliday, to his credit, probably aspires towards that.

#2 The team was hot in pursuit of a big (big-ish?) bat in August.  It didn't get press, but this simply must have been the case.  There was a quote from La Russa about a week ago discussing this.  Interestingly, his comment was that the money was there, but that it didn't work out for some unstated reason.  I suppose that means we didn't have the trade goods.  Any guesses on who this was?  Manny is a safe guess, but several older, declining bats moved: Berkman, etc.

One thing about this whole "31 Nights in August" experience that we just lived through that stands out in my mind is that I would think that Jake Westbrook's $11 million salary would have been available for a much lower price, in terms of trade goods, the day after the deadline as opposed to the day before. 

If they had traded Ludwick for someone really good before the deadline, would it have been a fairly safe gamble to assume that Westbrook would be there after it?

9/12/2010 1:38 pm  #9

"Jay, 25, is hitting .315 with four home runs and 26 RBIs in 238 at-bats. Craig remains at Class AAA Memphis."

So, does that mean he's been hitting about .200 since his BA was up around .380? 

I like Jay, and would for him to work out.  Let's face it, he plays the game the right way.  But who among us thinks Jon Jay just might be this year's Bo Hart; one month of .400 hitting and a fabulous play or two in the field, after which MLB pitchers figure him out and he becomes a .250 hitter with no power and an average defender?

9/12/2010 1:43 pm  #10

"Dugout incidents with several players also have fed a perception that he is weary of the job, or the job is weary of him."

This is a complete misreading of human nature.  You have closure on an issue when it can no longer get under your skin.  Think ex-girlfriend/wife: a week/month after breaking up, you can be pretty sensitive about who she's sleeping with, but you know you've put it behind you when you honestly feel nothing at all, regardless of who she's sleeping with.

If La Russa is still getting angry, he still cares.  The more telling quote was this one: "What's made the job not as much fun is the combination of distractions of players due to money and security ... and the proliferation of media."

If La Russa leaves, it will be because it is no longer fun, because people are making it no fun for him, not because of weariness.

9/13/2010 8:58 am  #11

"Dugout incidents with several players also have fed a perception that he is weary of the job, or the job is weary of him."

Did I miss something? What "dugout incidents" are being referred to? The thing between Pujols and Rasmus? That didn't take place in the dugout.

As for Tony's trivails with the pinheads in the media, he's just being a baby again. If he tried this crap in Boston, Philadelphia or - heaven forbird - New York City, they'd laugh at him.

9/13/2010 9:17 am  #12

I agree Darth.  Not many managers can get away with telling reporters what questions to ask them.  He wont talk about in game mistakes because the situation is to "raw" to speak of it in the post game and he will never talk about any kind of clubhouse drama.  The questions are reduced to "so and so had a good night, what is your opinion on that Mr. LaRussa?"  LaRussa: "Yeah...uh...yeah he did."

9/13/2010 10:17 am  #13

"The questions are reduced to "so and so had a good night, what is your opinion on that Mr. LaRussa?"  LaRussa: "Yeah...uh...yeah he did."

I know Bernie is a blowhard most of the time, but I like it when he stands up to La Russa every once in awhile.
Part of being a manager is realizing you're going to open yourself up to criticism on the average of a dozen times or so every game. It's the way things are. People criticize La Russa because they care. If no one cared, Tony wouldn't have a job. Or he'd have a job in Kansas City.

9/13/2010 5:25 pm  #14

artie_fufkin wrote:

Did I miss something? What "dugout incidents" are being referred to? The thing between Pujols and Rasmus? That didn't take place in the dugout.

I think it's a reference to him telling Pujols he fucking knows how to manage and the stuff with Carpenter.

9/13/2010 5:26 pm  #15

tkihshbt wrote:

I think it's a reference to him telling Pujols he fucking knows how to manage and the stuff with Carpenter.

I wouldnt curse at Pujols even if I was TLR.  I think he would disaprove.

Board footera