You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/30/2010 7:50 pm  #51

Re: right-wing leaders "exploit gay people . . . fear of gays"

On this we agree.  But at least acknowledge that there's an equal amount of hypocrisy coming out of the mouth of someone who attempts to argue that Congress has the Constitutional authority to force people to purchase health insurance.

Sorry, I had to pick at this, because for many years, the same people arguing that gay people are a detriment to society were the same people arguing for an insurance mandate. The insurance mandate was a Republican idea first introduced in 1991 by the Heritage Foundation, and was a big part of the Republicans' alternative to Clinton's proposed health care plan in 1994.

It was the core of Mitt Romney's health care reform and he argues it better than I ever could. Here's the video that will ensure Mittens never rises above possible VP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6DrH6P9OC0

12/30/2010 8:09 pm  #52

APRTW wrote:

I dont mind SS as long as there is something left for me.  I also dont mind that the government keep companies from putting crack in my pop tarts.  The bottomline is that the government only does what we allow them to do.  If we dont like something then really the only person to blame is ourself. 

I have a question for Fors.  Not that I really matters other then just wanting to know but is it the church you dont believe in or god?  I think alot of people in this country are sick of organized religion, the high schoolish clicks it causes and money issues that seem to arise.  Most still believe in god.

Don't believe in god.

12/30/2010 8:19 pm  #53

Max wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

That's a fairly utopian view of things.  On the other hand there's the label on my breakfast cereal that is required because someone decided that the American public needed to be told that eating Cocoa Puffs might be less healthy than Wheaties.  The warning labels in my car that remind me that the air bag might be hazardous to my toddler (a toddler that I don't have).  Then there's the 6.2% that I'm required to pay into Social Security which really goes to pay for others' retirement, but ostensibly is money the government requires me to contribute for my retirement under the notion that it can manage that 6.2% better than I can.  I could go on, but I'm depressing myself.

FWIW, I agree with everyone of those.  Have you ever read the story of the first child who was killed by an air bag?  It's heartbreaking.  If I recall this correctly, it was a 5 mph bumper-to-bumper collision in a supermarket parking lot that did no damage to either car.  The airbags deployed and the driver's daughter (8?, 12?) sitting in the passenger was killed instantly of a broken neck.  The father driving the car couldn't believe that his daughter was non-responsive from such a little tiny accident.  The simple fact was that no one knew or even suspected such a thing could occur.  Using Lincoln's axiom that we will only do collectively those things that we cannot do better individually: do you have a better way to inform and remind 300 million Americans of the dangers of having a child in the passenger seat with an armed air bag than requiring manufacturers to afix a label that costs pennies  onto the dashboard?

Given that a healthy diet is key to a healthy society, should the entire nation become nutritionists and then individually track down the nutrition information for each and every product?  Or doesn't it actually make more sense to hire a surgeon general to inform Americans of nutrition guidelines and then require manufacturers to list the nutritional information in their product and calculate how it fulfills the surgeon general's guidelines?

As for SS, you repeat the big fallacy of our generation.  You are not paying 6.2% for your retirement.  You are paying 6.2% to eradicate poverty among the elderly during your working years.  Hooray!  I am all for that.  Between SS, Medicare, and a few other programs, abject poverty among the elderly (remember the stereotype of elderly people eating Alpo?) had been essentially eradicated in our country by the 1970s.  But since Reagan, the GOP has waged an incessant war against this for some reason, deciding that those tax dollars are not worth providing some measure of a safety net for our elderly.

Since back then it was a non-starter to discuss doing away with SS or Medicare, their unpleasant solution was simply to cut taxes, generate large federal budget deficits and eventually ask Americans to choose between low taxes with a very limited social safety net, or return to the tax levels of the 1940s through 1970s and enjoy a social safety similar to what people in other economically advanced nations get.

So we've made the government responsible for warning people who aren't smart enough to know children belong in the back seat, making sure that people understand that a double whopper with cheese might not be as healthy as a salad and I get to pay 6.2% to cover for people who were bright enough to save for their golden years. What a great country.

Again, why do I have to participate in SS. Let me opt out and fend for myself later in life. If you want to help the elderly, have fun. Personally, I don't care.

I think I'm going to go take a dump. Maybe the government needs to put a warning label on the toilet paper to let me know which side my hand goes on.

12/30/2010 8:22 pm  #54

APRTW wrote:

I have a question for Fors.  Not that I really matters other then just wanting to know but is it the church you dont believe in or god?  I think alot of people in this country are sick of organized religion, the high schoolish clicks it causes and money issues that seem to arise.  Most still believe in god.

Not aimed at me, but there is a good author, John Shelby Spong, who has written many popular books in which he posits that our own Biblical illiteracy has facilitated fundamentalists to chase many Americans away from religion, as they rake in a few conservatives and overly gullible sorts.  It goes something like this: fundamentalists pastor says, "If you believe in ______ (fill in some modern liberal idea), then you don't believe in God".   Conservative /gullible person says, "Hell yeah, praise Jesus!"   Liberal/less gullible Biblically illiterate person says, "well, I am pretty sure that _____ is true, so I guess that must mean I don;t believe in God, or at least not the God he believes in."  And a whole swath of America steers away from religion and church.  Spong's best, clearest explication of this is "Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism".  It got me to read the New Testament and what I found was unexpected.  The people Jesus was challenging for authority within Judaism, the Pharisees and Sadducees sound like ringers for today's fundamentalist Christians.  But, hey, that's just what I took away from it.

12/30/2010 8:23 pm  #55

Max wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

"Redistributing wealth from one generation to the next"

Elaborate please.

Inheritance tax.

So Pujols signs his $200M contract, retires and live a happy life, after which he tries to leave his wealth to his chidren and the government swoops in and says sorry, but that money is earmarked for a 3rd generation welfare family. Makes perfect sense.

12/30/2010 8:33 pm  #56

forsberg_us wrote:

Max wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

"Redistributing wealth from one generation to the next"

Elaborate please.

Inheritance tax.

So Pujols signs his $200M contract, retires and live a happy life, after which he tries to leave his wealth to his chidren and the government swoops in and says sorry, but that money is earmarked for a 3rd generation welfare family. Makes perfect sense.

You betcha!

Few people have issues with the first few million dollars, it's the tens of millions of dollars after that.  And the fact there is a third generation welfare family indicates we need a course correction, not that we need to cut programs.

We're in about the 10th generation that graduates of public schools in Mississippi are near the bottom in every measurable academic variable.  Most people do not use that to argue that we should shut public schools in Mississippi and give up on that state.  It means we need a course correction in how public education is administered in Mississippi.

12/30/2010 8:47 pm  #57

forsberg_us wrote:

So we've made the government responsible for warning people who aren't smart enough to know children belong in the back seat, making sure that people understand that a double whopper with cheese might not be as healthy as a salad and I get to pay 6.2% to cover for people who were bright enough to save for their golden years. What a great country.

Again, why do I have to participate in SS. Let me opt out and fend for myself later in life. If you want to help the elderly, have fun. Personally, I don't care.

I think I'm going to go take a dump. Maybe the government needs to put a warning label on the toilet paper to let me know which side my hand goes on.

I feel we have a right to be told what we are buying and as far as fending for yourself later, that would never happen.  I am sure you are smart enough to take care of yourself.  However if you were not and SS was not in place the government would end up taking care of you anyway.  I dont think anyone would believe the amount of people who have nothing set back for retirement, soling counting on SS.  I think that is stupid, really stupid.  Still if SS wasnt in place those people still wouldnt be smart enough to put something in place.  In this country we try and fix ever problem and would not let them suffer.  Likely they would go on welfar once they were no longer able to work.  Therefor the working population would still be paying for them and taxes would have to be raised to account for that.  At least with SS you will be able to draw something (at least we all hope so).  If those people were to go on welfar because SS didnt exist it would screw those who did prepare for retirement because they would have to flip the bill for the welfar increase and not get anything in return.

12/30/2010 8:54 pm  #58

Max wrote:

You betcha!

Few people have issues with the first few million dollars, it's the tens of millions of dollars after that.  And the fact there is a third generation welfare family indicates we need a course correction, not that we need to cut programs.

We're in about the 10th generation that graduates of public schools in Mississippi are near the bottom in every measurable academic variable.  Most people do not use that to argue that we should shut public schools in Mississippi and give up on that state.  It means we need a course correction in how public education is administered in Mississippi.

you got that much right.  But the course of correct is awarding those who were smart with there money.  Letting them pass it to there family to insure that they are taken care of.  Hopefully that generation is smart enough to do the same passing wealth on to their children.

12/30/2010 9:12 pm  #59

forsberg_us wrote:

For the same reason I can't opt out of funding Bush's wars in Asia, or the CIA torturing people . . .

. . . because those social security, the War in Afghanistan, Medicaid, the CIA's covert torture program, and larger more readable street signs are all governmental policy.

12/30/2010 9:18 pm  #60

APRTW wrote:

Max wrote:

You betcha!

you got that much right.  But the course of correct is awarding those who were smart with there money.  Letting them pass it to there family to insure that they are taken care of.  Hopefully that generation is smart enough to do the same passing wealth on to their children.

We have far too much riding on the ideal of a meritocracy in our country to allow it to be undermined by a hereditary wealthy ruling class.  Would Dubya have had a snowball's chance in Hell at accomplishing anything he did, except for the three arrests, if his dad and granddad hadn't been very wealthy men?  The same goes for some of the Kennedy clan.

It is naive to discount the enormous advantage that one newborn has over another owing to the wealth of the parents.  Inheritance tax applied to surplus millions would only ensure that grandchildren and great-grandchildren of the super wealthy do not get an outrageous head start in life owing to the skills of some remote ancestor.  Otherwise our country will not be a meritocracy, but a plutocracy.

12/30/2010 9:41 pm  #61

But the wealthy worked to become that way for their family not for my family, your family or any other family.  They earned the money and it was taxed then.  What they do with it is there bussiness.  All the government is doing is taxing the dead.  Why should a family farm have to be sold because of a tax.  Rich families are rich because along the way somebody made them that way.  They shouldnt be punished just to even things out alittle for some white trash junky who family has never held a job.  At some point that family is going to have to take ownership for there short comings and the rich family should keep the riches they earned.  The government will tax the dead because the dead dont vote.  I just hope it doesnt get out of hand and I dont think the government should decide who is too rich.

12/30/2010 10:01 pm  #62

APRTW wrote:

But the wealthy worked to become that way for their family not for my family, your family or any other family.  They earned the money and it was taxed then.  What they do with it is there bussiness.  All the government is doing is taxing the dead.  Why should a family farm have to be sold because of a tax.  Rich families are rich because along the way somebody made them that way.  They shouldnt be punished just to even things out alittle for some white trash junky who family has never held a job.  At some point that family is going to have to take ownership for there short comings and the rich family should keep the riches they earned.  The government will tax the dead because the dead dont vote.  I just hope it doesnt get out of hand and I dont think the government should decide who is too rich.

Two things here:

1. Ronald Reagan's welfare queens are as prevalent as Saddam's WMD. Yes, there are definitely people who take from the government, but there are a lot of people who genuinely need the help. The alternative to ending welfare is to move old people, disabled people and mentally ill people into a rocket ship and blast them into the Sun. OK, I'm being hyperbolic, but there's a very real need for Social Security.

2. The estate tax is not taxing dead people. Money passed on to another generation is income and income is taxable.

12/30/2010 10:02 pm  #63

APRTW wrote:

Bingo.

12/30/2010 10:15 pm  #64

For the better part of the 20th Century America was a super-power. We were the country everyone wanted to be, despite the fact that for a sizeable majority of our first 200 years of existence we had no social programs. Now suddenly we have social programs coming out of our ass, we headed toward a 14 trillion dollar debt and our standing around the world is disappearing. 

But it's all working, really it is.

12/30/2010 10:21 pm  #65

forsberg_us wrote:

For the better part of the 20th Century America was a super-power. We were the country everyone wanted to be, despite the fact that for a sizeable majority of our first 200 years of existence we had no social programs. Now suddenly we have social programs coming out of our ass, we headed toward a 14 trillion dollar debt and our standing around the world is disappearing. 

the zenith of our power coincided with our highest taxation and greatest level of social services.

12/30/2010 10:32 pm  #66

forsberg_us wrote:

We built ourselves up in the 19th century on the backs of black people and Chinese immigrants, slaughtered our way through the West and had policies in place that concentrated wealth in as few hands as possible. This may sound ideal for someone born in the Vanderbilt family, but umm, I'm not exactly pining for 1800s America.

12/30/2010 10:53 pm  #67

"On the other hand there's the label on my breakfast cereal that is required because someone decided that the American public needed to be told that eating Cocoa Puffs might be less healthy than Wheaties."

Good point, but a warning label is not a prohibition. You can still eat your Cocoa Puffs.
I have problems with some of the things goverment does - primarily the way it wastes resources - but I don't see the government as a barrier to success the way Limbaugh and some of the other naysayers do, primarily to cover up their greed. Limbaugh's ilk are the first to complain about a lack of services at the same time they're complaining about paying taxes. The notion government behaves the way it does to keep people relying on government is nonsense. We're human beings, so it's in our nature to be self-sufficient, self-actualized and competitive. Maybe that is utopian, but it's generally the way most of us behave.

12/30/2010 10:58 pm  #68

"Maybe the government needs to put a warning label on the toilet paper to let me know which side my hand goes on."

The only warning label I've ever seen in a men's room was above the urinals at a rest stop in New Hampshire advising the locals "Don't Eat the Big White Mint."

12/30/2010 11:00 pm  #69

Max wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

the zenith of our power coincided with our highest taxation and greatest level of social services.

That could easily be restated as "The decline of our power began at the point of our highest taxation and greatest level of social services."  But I'd really like to see the graphs of the differentials; it's possible the rate of increase of our power began to decline as our taxation and social spending were increasing.

"But since Reagan, the GOP has waged an incessant war against this for some reason, deciding that those tax dollars are not worth providing some measure of a safety net for our elderly.

Since back then it was a non-starter to discuss doing away with SS or Medicare, their unpleasant solution was simply to cut taxes, generate large federal budget deficits and eventually ask Americans to choose between low taxes with a very limited social safety net, or return to the tax levels of the 1940s through 1970s and enjoy a social safety similar to what people in other economically advanced nations get."

Your "for some reason" gets to the heart of why we cannot come to an agreement on economic issues.  First of all, you imply malevolent intentions on the part of "the GOP", making it easier to ignore what I'm sure you would deride anyway as "trickle-down economics".  I believe there are fundamental economic principles with which a society trifles at its own peril, and you apparently do not.  Where can we possibly go from here?

12/30/2010 11:33 pm  #70

JV wrote:

Your "for some reason" gets to the heart of why we cannot come to an agreement on economic issues.  First of all, you imply malevolent intentions on the part of "the GOP", making it easier to ignore what I'm sure you would deride anyway as "trickle-down economics".  I believe there are fundamental economic principles with which a society trifles at its own peril, and you apparently do not.  Where can we possibly go from here?

If you are going to pin your argument to a belief in trickle down economics, then I think you are pinning your hopes to ever an decreasing number of economists.  So please reference something other than GOP election strategy, and we can begin a discussion on trickle down economics.  For better or worse, a large body of economists today argue that our economy is driven by consumption.  Thus, this business about "I've never gotten a job from a poor person" as a rationale for tax cuts for the rich is just more political chicanery.  Nearly all of us get our jobs from the consumption of working Americans, that's even where the Chinese get their jobs, it is such a robust engine of growth.

I have already said that prior to Reagan I was Chuck Percy / Paul Simon style fiscal conservative, social liberal Republican.  I can even get on board with a lot of what Ron Paul has to say.  So you are totally barking up the wrong tree when you imply that I, or even Democrats in general, are break the bank tax and spenders.  We last had a balanced budget under Clinton.  I would argue that we need to disabuse ourselves of this notion that tax cuts are always good, and increases are always bad.  In my opinion we need to raise taxes and cut government waste.

I already posted the online program to try your own hand at balancing the budget, and I posted my solution, but I did not see yours.

12/30/2010 11:38 pm  #71

JV wrote:

I'd really like to see the graphs of the differentials; it's possible the rate of increase of our power began to decline as our taxation and social spending were increasing.

The highest levels of taxation were in 1945, and there was a slow but steady decline into the 1970's. The top tax bracket was 95% in 1945, 90% during the Eisenhower years, and had dropped to 70% before Reagan.  Reagan cut it in about half, and I think it was 30%-ish.  During the Clinton years it was 35%, but I am not sure how or when it got there.  Bush trimmed it again to whatever it is now, 28%?  (I am guessing).

The height of social services was probably in the 1970's, but people could probably debate that.

The apex of American power was when?

12/30/2010 11:45 pm  #72

Were I John Boehner, I would assign Paul to whatever committee appropriates funding for the military.

Two years ago, a friend asked how I could possibly reconcile voting for Paul or Kucinich. After thinking about it, I decided that he was right and that it was a particularly crazy notion, since they are so diametrically opposed on everything but foreign policy. I guess it's optimistic to think that their craziness could balance each other out.

ETA: Whoa, I left out some info there...

My friend asked me who I was voting for early in 2008, and I said I was leaning towards Paul or Kucinich.

Last edited by tkihshbt (12/30/2010 11:49 pm)

12/31/2010 9:27 am  #73

forsberg_us wrote:

I said this on the old New Message board years ago when debating the war.  Why do we step in and I think most that support the war say we step in because it needs done and we have the ablity to do so.  My question was do really have tha ability.

12/31/2010 10:02 am  #74

APRTW wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

I said this on the old New Message board years ago when debating the war.  Why do we step in and I think most that support the war say we step in because it needs done and we have the ablity to do so.  My question was do really have tha ability.

We're borrowing 42 cents of every dollar we spend. So the answer is no. I wish I could remember the name of the Senator from Ohio who I heard on the radio yesterday. He's adamant about us yielding the title of "the world's Sugar Daddy." Unfortunately, this guy is leaving elected office next week ... which is probably why his comments were so honest.
He also said come we're all going to have to take a bite out of the big shit sandwich our economy has become. I believe his quote was "In 2012, the President is going to be either Obama or someone else, and he's going to have to raise taxes or cut spending."
I wonder what kind of odds I'd get if I bet on that - the President being either Obama or someone else?
Reminds me of the kid on my basketball team who asked me last week: "Coach, how many halves do we play?"

12/31/2010 10:29 am  #75

artie_fufkin wrote:

I wonder what kind of odds I'd get if I bet on that - the President being either Obama or someone else?

About the same as the bet you wanted to make that the Cardinals would win between 45 and 125 games.

Board footera