You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/24/2017 3:41 pm  #1

This is the town I live in ...

Excerpts from the police log in the local weekly paper:

Wednesday, Aug. 9
8:20 a.m. Caller said she called the Board of Health and was told there was a statewide law that trucks can’t idle for more than five minutes. She said there were multiple trucks in the Crosby’s lot that were idling. She did not want to hear about refrigerator trucks being exempt as it was 60 degrees outside. {Officer} tried to explain that 60 degrees was insufficient to keep food cold in the trucks. An officer on a nearby detail went by the lot and reported there were no trucks at the time.
10:09 a.m. A woman called to say she was following a vehicle because the male in the car had been following her in Crosby’s. She went on to list several occasions when someone was following her here and on the Cape, due to being involved in a nasty divorce. The woman also said the male, who had been following her for three weeks, accosted her in the car after following her in Crosby’s. She said she was afraid he was going to disappear so she kept following him. She also believes they are taping her phone conversations. Police did respond.

Thursday, Aug. 10
9:42 a.m. Caller said he grew up in town and just took a ride around the neck and observed 16 people walking with the traffic and only 4 people walking against traffic. He said that people walking in the wrong direction is epidemic, which may become a tragedy, especially with people texting and walking. He would like some awareness of the situation.

Friday, Aug. 11
6:12 a.m. Caller who did not wish to leave any information reported that a contractor had been working since 5:45 a.m. She was unable to specify how they were working, only that have been there since 5:45 a.m. Police checked area, no one was working.
10:37 a.m. Caller said while the family was watching the previous night, all the lights were off and she heard someone trying to get in the front door. She called out “Who is it?” and a girl replied that she wanted to talk about clean water. The caller thought it odd because she tried the door rather than rang the bell. She was told there were environmental solicitors in town.
2:42 p.m. Caller asked for Fire Captain, then the Fire Chief. He complained that the No Parking signs in the area of construction on Green Street “got legs” and walked off. He called the DPW and was told there was no record of a sign being there. He said he and the other neighbors know that they were there and he wants the someone to view the area.

Saturday, Aug. 12
12:25 p.m. A man came in with a parking ticket he received in the HP spot on Hawkes Street near Minos. When asked what the ticket was for the man didn’t know. It was for “Wrong Direction Parking.” When the man pulled up to the station, he also pulled in with left wheels to the curb in the handicap spot. He was advised that he got a ticket for the same thing he’d done out front but he didn’t see a problem with the fact that he had just driven up the wrong side of Gerry Street and parked. He said it was a “stupid rule” and was going to fight it in court. {Officer} tried to explain the appeal process but he did not want to listen. An officer went out front to explain and had to stop traffic in front of the station so the man could pull away from the curb--because he was facing in the wrong direction.

8/26/2017 7:16 pm  #2

Re: This is the town I live in ...

How did I miss this post?

I'm guessing this explains where the term Mass-hole came from.

8/28/2017 8:28 am  #3

We Marbleheaders are a special breed of Masshole.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (8/28/2017 8:29 am)

8/28/2017 11:43 am  #4

Alot of very important police matters right there.

8/28/2017 12:57 pm  #5

Not that they should necessarily be taking head counts about who's walking with traffic and who's walking against traffic, but the police in my town really don't have a lot to do. There's almost no street crime, and you can't speed because of the narrow roads and all the traffic. A boat sank just outside the harbor over the weekend, but I think the Coast Guard was involved in that one.

8/28/2017 1:07 pm  #6

Wednesday, Aug. 16
8:05 a.m. Caller reported a person fell into a pit at Riverhead Beach. Engine 1 and Engine 2 responded. The party was out of the pit when the trucks arrived. Police reported he had a chin laceration and was resting in a motor vehicle. Victim was throwing a mattress into the pit when it caught on his shirt and pulled him into the pit as well.
1:31 p.m. Caller said there is a sign on the pedestrian signal in front of the church on Atlantic Avenue that states that it’s a law that one has to stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk. He said if there is a signal, the pedestrians have to use the signal and the sign should be moved to the crosswalk at the intersection of Gerry and Atlantic Avenue, where there is no signal.
6:15 p.m. A person tried to book a room with a credit card that had been denied. Caller said she felt “weird” about him and Googled him and found that he has a warrant from Lake Placid, NY. Police called Lake Placid and they confirmed there is a warrant but they would not come and get him. They also said they often get calls about him due to his odd behavior around the country.
8:20 p.m. Caller stated that someone was parked in her spot. She was informed it is a private lot and there is a process to having a vehicle removed. She did not like that answer and hung up. A male party called from area and stated a “crazy lady blocked the car in and refuses to move unless I pay $100.” A third party then reported a disturbance regarding a man parked in a private lot. Peace was restored.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (8/28/2017 1:07 pm)

8/28/2017 1:11 pm  #7

Saturday, Aug. 19
10:20 a.m. Caller said she heard gunshots in the area of Jersey Street. Officer spoke to detail officer. The contractor dropped a steel plate, The sound may have sounded like a gunshot but there were no gunshots according to the officer in the area.

Sunday, Aug. 20
1:42 p.m. Woman doing yard work at her mother’s home found glass on the lawn and wanted to know if it was a problem others were having. She wanted it logged in case it was a pattern.
8:22 p.m. Caller reported a male in his 30s walking around the neighborhood barefoot talking on his phone. He was a dog walker walking a dog.

8/28/2017 1:18 pm  #8

8/28/2017 1:26 pm  #9

Lol, he was a dog walker, walking his dog.

Walking on improperly on the roadway id an annoyances of mine.  I don't really want shovel guts off the road and stand on the sided of the road for four hours.  I will say it is hard to hitchhike walking against traffic.

8/28/2017 2:00 pm  #10

Do they publish a report of every call for service the police department receives?

Back when I was at U. City, I want to say that in the average year we had something like 100-120K calls for service each year.  That was for a municipality of 40,000 people.  We would have needed our own magazine to print each one.  I can imagine how those would have read:

Caller said her boyfriend was at her home and refusing to leave following an argument that started over whether or not caller had consumed the last 40 oz. bottle of Old English. Police arrived and confirmed the boyfriend was not on the occupancy permit, despite the fact that all of his clothes and personal property were found on the premises and he received mail at the address. After being repeatedly instructed to leave and repeated refusals, an altercation occurred between police and boyfriend. Boyfriend was treated by EMS unit 2637 and deemed fit for confinement. Boyfriend was charged with Trespassing, Resisting Arrest and Destruction of City Property. P.O. Bailey was issued a replacement baton.

8/28/2017 2:29 pm  #11

"Do they publish a report of every call for service the police department receives?"

I think the local paper cherry-picks from the log. My barometer was always it had to either be entertaining or somewhat informative. Mostly because I got sick of having to explain to our photographers they wouldn't be getting paid for the 11 photos they submitted from a 2-car fender bender.
But, if there are six car breaks on the same street, they go in because it's advising people who live in the neighborhood to lock their car doors. Or, if Drunken Lout sticks a live rooster down his pants, pisses himself and throws up on his buddy's shoes, then it goes in because it's entertaining. The entertainment factor was diminished a few years ago when the Massachusetts legislature passed a law prohibiting the release to the press of any domestic-related incidents, regardless of whether the consumption of 40-ounce bottles of Old English was involved.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (8/28/2017 2:34 pm)

8/28/2017 2:32 pm  #12

APIAD wrote:

Lol, he was a dog walker, walking his dog.

Walking on improperly on the roadway id an annoyances of mine. I don't really want shovel guts off the road and stand on the sided of the road for four hours. I will say it is hard to hitchhike walking against traffic.

Shoveling guts usually falls under the jurisdiction of the Animal Control Officer, who in the city in which I work is ... well, I leave it to you to decide whether he's qualified. About six months ago, he wanted to put an article in the paper about a fisher cat sighting. He sent me a picture of a bobcat.

8/28/2017 2:55 pm  #13

Entertaining or informative.  How about this one (true story)

Officers responded to a call of theft from the local supermarket. A suspect was detained two blocks from the store and found with 16 steaks of various cuts stuffed into his pants.  Suspect was arrested.  The steaks were returned to the supermarket and restocked in the meat case.

9/05/2017 9:52 am  #14

Wednesday, Aug. 23
12:41 p.m. Walk-in reported he was on the phone for a half hour with someone claiming to be from Publishers Clearinghouse. They told him to go to the bank and withdraw $220 and bring it to Walmart who would transfer it to another Walmart and they gave him a name to transfer it to. The walk-in went to the station to see if it was legitimate. He left the woman on the phone. She thought he was going to the bank to get the money. Police explained it was a scam and that Publisher’s Clearinghouse does not work like that. Walk-in said she was suspicious because he knows the drawing isn’t for another week.

6:25 p.m. Caller from the Eastern Yacht Club reported smoke coming from the Boston Yacht Club across the harbor and it appeared to be more than a BBQ. Nothing was showing other than a BBQ. Police checked at BYC and the Corinthian and no smoke seen.

11:01 p.m. Beacon Street party reported there was a large group “of partiers in the ring.” He stated that in the past they have created a large bonfire and he’s concerned they might do it again. Police reported no one was around the circle or the swamp except the crickets.

Thursday, Aug. 24
11:53 a.m. Caller asked police to speak to son regarding animal cruelty. Officer spoke to parent and son about son putting cat on a high shelf where it would be impossible for the cat to get down.

4:13 p.m. A walk-in reported a male operating a red and white sports car video taped young girls walking down the street and was “cat calling” them as they walked by. He headed toward Old Town. Police released a BOLO.

Friday, Aug. 25
12:17 a.m. Employee from Tedesco Country Club reported a bridesmaid in a wedding fell, injured her leg and couldn’t get up. Engine 1 and Atlantic responded, one transported to Salem {Hospital}.

8:17 p.m. A Baldwin Road neighbor reported that a car went up the street and after 10 minutes had still not got out. Police report it was a father teaching his daughter how to drive.

Monday, Aug. 28
2:07 p.m. Party stated her neighbor has been harassing her and he throws things and “leaves his TV on at all hours of the night.” She stated that the male party has left “dirty stuff” in her area and that he is “parked crooked in the lot.” Police spoke with both parties, who agreed to leave each other alone. There were also advised of their rights.

Tuesday, Aug. 29
3:14 p.m. Caller is concerned that someone painted a half-court basketball court on the street at the hairpin turn on Pilgrim at May. Caller believes it’s dangerous and illegal to paint lines in the street. Police report there are no kids in area but there are lines and markings on the roadway. Highway Dept. was notified.

3:59 p.m. Canterbury Road caller reported a car going at least 50 mph down the street. YMCA van flies down the street, a blue Jeep, a green Infinity and a LVK van at least three or four times a day and she is afraid a child will be hit. Police monitored area for 30 minutes and the top speed was 17 mph.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (9/05/2017 9:53 am)

9/05/2017 1:16 pm  #15

Are these releases done by the police dept?   Seems like they are calling each callers issues petty in a round about way.  While they may be petty i would think the callers would be annoyed.  Also i would think people would be less likely to call in complaints.  That is a horrible thing but if all you have to do is tell a kid not to put a car on a shelf your not exactly pressed for time.

9/05/2017 1:26 pm  #16

Because there's a disregard for newspaper style, in most instances the paper just takes the log items verbatim, I'm guessing. There are a couple if references to "I" that I changed to "officer" in some of the earlier posts.
Sadly, I don't think everyone gets the joke. If you're willing to take the time to call police because a bunch of kids have marked a basketball court in the street, you don't have much of a sense of humor to begin with.

9/05/2017 2:54 pm  #17

True, but id say these calls are par for the course nationwide.  There may be other more serious calls to go with them but there is always those people that call in the most ignorant shit.  Theres a possum in my house for the 4th time this week.  Can you take my trash out for the garbage man, im old and cant lift it.  It snowed a foot last night, what are the roads like.  Or it rain 3 inches in an hour and everyone has to call in to tell you there is water on every road in the county.  No shit, really...it rained on the roads too?   That unusual.

9/08/2017 8:18 pm  #18

Wednesday, Aug. 30
6:48 p.m. Caller reported a woman fell from her bike and is injured on the railroad right of way. Police report it appeared to be more of an alcohol issue than medical. Party was picked up by nanny.
7:12 p.m Report of a bus stuck at School and Essex streets followed by a report of bus unstuck 15 minutes later.

Friday, Sept. 1
4:11 p.m. An unidentified caller who lives on Phillips Street said they believed there were some illegal aliens in the neighborhood. When asked why he thought that he stated that they didn’t speak English. He was advised that police were not going to send anyone unless a crime was being committed and caller said they weren’t doing anything wrong.

11:15 p.m. Caller from Rainbow Road complained that some kids turned the lights on at Gatchell’s and were playing softball after hours. Police responded and found lights off and no one playing softball. Fields were empty.

Sunday, Sept. 3

8:56 a.m. Caller said there was a group of three creepy kids who emerged from the woods after hiding there when a cruiser went by

Monday, Sept. 4

11:02 a.m. Caller would like to speak with an officer in regards to a neighbor using a noise making machine that keeps small animals away. It goes off intermittently and she was looking for advice on what to do. She was advised on what to do going forward.

11:09 a.m. Caller reported that she was driving on Ocean Avenue and noticed an elderly male sitting inside his vehicle with his mouth wide open. She asked for a well being check. Police said he was fine, talking on his cell phone.

10:18 p.m. Police were flagged down for a report that there were motorcycles ripping around the neck at a high rate of speed. Police spoke to parties who said they were taking pictures then would be respectful as they left. Reports came that they were doing wheelies.

10:41 p.m. Motorcycle crash. One was doing a wheelie across the causeway, another was doing 80 mph (caught on radar) by police and one was doing 53 mph. Another took off.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (9/08/2017 8:19 pm)

Board footera