You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/31/2010 6:19 pm  #1

Good to see you're posting TK

Today's tornados come anywhere near your neck of the woods?

For anyone familiar with the St. Louis area, about a 4 block area of Sunset Hills was completely devastated. Homes destroyed, cars turned over. Pretty bad stuff

12/31/2010 9:20 pm  #2

Re: Good to see you're posting TK

forsberg_us wrote:

Today's tornados come anywhere near your neck of the woods?

For anyone familiar with the St. Louis area, about a 4 block area of Sunset Hills was completely devastated. Homes destroyed, cars turned over. Pretty bad stuff

I didn't know the tornados got out of the NW Arkansas area.  Sorry to hear that.

We got spongy hail two days ago, and it left an inch of snow that looks like styrofoam.  Since then it's been sunny and 30's.

12/31/2010 9:47 pm  #3

Yeah, they moved northeast at a pretty alarming rate.  I think 3 people died down around Shelby County.  Amazingly, they were reporting only a few minor injuries in the St. Louis area, but the pictures are pretty scary.  They were saying it was the first time a category 4 tornado (whatever that means) had hit St. Louis since 1967.

http://stltoday.mycapture.com/mycapture/enlarge.asp?image=33417901&event=1144158&CategoryID=38578&picnum=2&move=B#Image

Last edited by forsberg_us (12/31/2010 9:50 pm)

1/01/2011 12:51 pm  #4

I live between Rolla and St. Louis and amazingly, everything between that was fine, even though Rolla and St. Louis were smacked pretty hard.

Thank you for asking, Fors.

Max, they normally don't touch down. We get a tornado warning or two some years, but our biggest concerns are usually ice storms. Yesterday, though, the weather was more like an early spring day and all the conditions were just right for a tornado.

I maintain that nobody is prepared for the next big quake from the New Madrid Fault Line.

1/02/2011 11:45 am  #5

I think I'd rather deal with tornadoes than snow. We got our requisite 18-inch snowstorm last Sunday and it's been 50 degrees and raining for the past three days, so I have a lake in my basement.

1/02/2011 12:49 pm  #6

Yeah, I would always take my chance with a tornado over a snowstorm. Last week everyone around here got excited because it was snowing on Christmas Eve.

1/02/2011 2:46 pm  #7

I lived in Illinois for 21 years and in St. Louis for parts of 9.  The thing about tornados is that, unless you are a tornado chaser, you never see them.  I remember meeting a girl in college who was from the East and she said her biggest thrill about going to school in the midwest was that she was going to get to see a tornado.  Talk about misconceptions!

Now that you mention it, TK, I do recall the ice storms.  Some winters it seems like a miracle that there is a single tree left standing in a crescent shaped arc from the Texas panhandle to Cincinnati.

1/02/2011 4:16 pm  #8

In 1992 I watched one several miles away from out of the back of grandma's backdoor.

Last edited by APRTW (1/02/2011 4:17 pm)

1/02/2011 5:26 pm  #9

Max wrote:

I lived in Illinois for 21 years and in St. Louis for parts of 9.  The thing about tornados is that, unless you are a tornado chaser, you never see them.  I remember meeting a girl in college who was from the East and she said her biggest thrill about going to school in the midwest was that she was going to get to see a tornado.  Talk about misconceptions!

No kidding.

Now that you mention it, TK, I do recall the ice storms.  Some winters it seems like a miracle that there is a single tree left standing in a crescent shaped arc from the Texas panhandle to Cincinnati.

We had one a few weeks earlier and it rendered the area useless. I remember having a really, really long day at work.

1/02/2011 6:32 pm  #10

"I remember meeting a girl in college who was from the East and she said her biggest thrill about going to school in the midwest was that she was going to get to see a tornado."

I went to school in the middle of a desert and I don't recall any anticipatory feelings about sandstorms.

Board footera