You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/07/2011 9:24 am  #1

New BoA Rules

Unbelievable:

Bank of America Corp., pressured by U.S. regulations limiting debit-card and overdraft fees, is set to give its retail customers a choice: do more financial transactions through the company, or pay a monthly fee.

The biggest U.S. lender by assets is introducing four new accounts where users pay fees unless they keep minimum balances, make regular deposits, use credit cards or take advantage of online services, said Joe Price, head of the Charlotte, North Carolina-based company’s consumer-banking operations.

Banks including JPMorgan Chase & Co., the second-largest bank by assets, and No. 3-ranked Wells Fargo & Co. are seeking to replace revenue lost from consumer-protection rules by boosting fees. Bank of America, with $633 billion in retail deposits as of September, has said overdraft, credit and debit- card fee limits may squeeze annual revenue by $4 billion starting this year.

“You can pay with cash, or you can pay with behavior,† said Bart Narter, senior banking analyst at Boston-based consulting firm Celent. “They’re restructuring their pricing to deal with the new realities.â€

Bank of America starts trials of the four account types this month in Massachusetts, Arizona and Georgia, and expects to move all customers to the accounts starting in 2012, Price said yesterday in a telephone interview. Higher minimum balances can earn rewards like multiple accounts, and discounts on services including money orders and checkbooks. A fifth program for those with $50,000 in combined balances includes concierge services and higher interest rates.

The plans “provides you the choices on how to compensate us,† Price said. “In some cases that means you need to bring us more business because you like all these features, and it costs us more to provide that.â€

The trials will test various monthly fees, starting from about $6 to $9, said Anne Pace, a spokeswoman for the bank.

JPMorgan was weighing higher credit-card rates and monthly fees, Chief Executive Officer Jamie Dimon said in July.

“If you’re a restaurant and you can’t charge for the soda, you’re going to charge more for the burger,† Dimon said.

But remember, folks, Jamie Dimon and the rest of the criminals on Wall Street worked their way to that position and we should be grateful for their services. If they want to rape customers, we should be so pleased.

Now let's talk about the people sponging off the government.

1/07/2011 10:27 am  #2

Re: New BoA Rules

Are you required to use BoA?

1/07/2011 10:30 am  #3

Thankfully, BoA hasn't invaded my territory.

Are you really arguing that this is sane?

1/07/2011 10:34 am  #4

Also, I'm not arguing for any sort of government intervention here, but I do think if people have the means, they should move all their money out of these banks ASAP.

1/07/2011 10:40 am  #5

This message is a waste of my time, TK.  I think we should all be whining about the taxes we pay and how best to kick lazy deadbeats living on government handouts into the church soup lines.  Maybe then people would start to appreciate the benefits that the financial services industry is doing for our country.

Focus, people.  Focus!

1/07/2011 10:50 am  #6

If there's one sector of the economy that I truly despise, it's the financial services industry. The fact that the media is constantly publicizing all of their whining about how mean the president is to them while they are making record-profits makes me throw up.

1/07/2011 11:11 am  #7

If George Bush hadn't fucked the country, and the world, up so badly, Enron and World Com would be remembered in the history books alongside the Teapot Dome scandal as administration defining scandalous shames upon our nation's honor.  But who would want to be remembered for that?  So Dubya redoubled his efforts at ignominy and proved to the world why he is named "Bush".

Last edited by Max (1/07/2011 11:11 am)

1/07/2011 11:18 am  #8

Well, the guy from Enron did die. So clearly no good deed goes unpunished.

1/07/2011 11:44 am  #9

tkihshbt wrote:

Sanity isn't the issue.  As a result of government intervention, the bank's revenue is down.  They're looking for ways to recoup the lost revenue.  I'm not sure why that would surprise you.

Your follow up post was the correct response.  If the notion of what BoA is doing offends you, don't do business with them.  BoA will then be forced to weigh the revenue lost as a result of lost customers against the revenues lost as a result of regulation and decide which is the lesser of two evils.

Funny how the cost of government regulation always gets passed to the consumers.  Who knew?   

1/07/2011 12:44 pm  #10

I dont get it.  First I would like to see the "U.S. regulations" that have caused this.  Secondly I dont see why it is out of line to ask people to have money in their accounts to pay for their withdraws.  Also I dont think the  financial system was doint very well without government intervention.  IMO the bailouts of the housing market and auto industry worked.

1/07/2011 12:50 pm  #11

tkihshbt wrote:

You know, that's a weird one.  He died before he had a chance to appeal, meaning that whatever settlement was (or would have been) imposed on him can't be enforced and the beneficiaries of his will get to keep the money!  Even his death, autopsy, and almost immediate cremation were unusual enough to raise some eyebrows.  Not that it MEANS anything though.  We have a free press and a conspiracy cannot exist in our country because if it did it would be unveiled through our free press and free market system. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Lay#Abatement_of_conviction

1/07/2011 12:51 pm  #12

I guess my bank has went at this from a different angle and I thought that is what most were doing.  Instead of punishing for not doing something they are rewarding those that are.  If you met their requirements they give you 4% interest on funds in your account.  You have to have a minimum balance, 10 debit card transactions, online paperless billing and one auto payment a month.  A few years ago they were paying 6% interest up to $20,000.  Alot of people have transfered money out of saving into checking to get this interest.  I assume that lowers overdraft issues and saves the bank money in the long run even though they are paying a higher interest on the money then if it was in saving and they had to mail you your statements.

1/07/2011 12:54 pm  #13

And it's funny how community banks and credit unions are able to survive without bludgeoning their customers with hidden fees.

Banks were making $20 billion on overdraft fees before the government put a limit on how much they could charge them. BoA did away with overdraft fees earlier last year.

Your confidence in the "free market" punishing BoA if people get tired of their shitty services is misguided, IMO.

1/07/2011 12:57 pm  #14

Max wrote:

tkihshbt wrote:

You know, that's a weird one.  He died before he had a chance to appeal, meaning that whatever settlement was (or would have been) imposed on him can't be enforced and the beneficiaries of his will get to keep the money!  Even his death, autopsy, and almost immediate cremation were unusual enough to raise some eyebrows.  Not that it MEANS anything though.  We have a free press and a conspiracy cannot exist in our country because if it did it would be unveiled through our free press and free market system. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Lay#Abatement_of_conviction

I agree he isnt dead.

1/07/2011 6:17 pm  #15

forsberg_us wrote:

tkihshbt wrote:

Sanity isn't the issue.  As a result of government intervention, the bank's revenue is down.  They're looking for ways to recoup the lost revenue.  I'm not sure why that would surprise you.

Your follow up post was the correct response.  If the notion of what BoA is doing offends you, don't do business with them.  BoA will then be forced to weigh the revenue lost as a result of lost customers against the revenues lost as a result of regulation and decide which is the lesser of two evils.

Funny how the cost of government regulation always gets passed to the consumers.  Who knew?   

With all due respect, Fors, I think you carry some unrealistic naivete about fairness and non-intervention.  Starting with the last discussion, the whole idea that a developing embryo has any free will in what its mother eats, or what illegal drugs its mother consumes is obviously absurd.  And yet there is a lot of evidence relating prenatal care to infant health.  Similarly, in the early years of life, a healthy environment and well-conceived stimulation are almost surely linked with health and intelligence later in life.  Why on Earth is everyone playing the Mozart CDs for their children if we don't tend to believe there is something to that?  But your previous opinions seem to disregard all this.

Similarly, when it comes to large anything, the very scale they operate on has an uneven, un-'fair', effect that can best be countered by government intervention, but you seem to either dismiss the former and/or detest the latter.  But in contrast, this basic premise is almost universally agreed upon: we all understand how deleterious it can be for any one company to form a monopoly, or any one person to purchase so much local property that they have Mr. Potter-like influence on the Bedford Falls of the world.  Do you not recall when banks were holding our deposits for 2 weeks, and collecting interest on that money and keeping it for themselves, even though electronic transfers made the exchange almost instantaneous?  It took an act of congress to get them to change their business practices back then.  Was that misguided intervention by the government?

Again, harkening back to Lincoln, we will only do those things collectively that we cannot do better individually: we need government to act as a counterbalance against the power and influence of wealthy people and organizations who, quite naturally, operate for their own benefit, and not for the general good.  And before you repeat your assertion that I resent wealthy people, realize that what I am writing is not all that different from what Buffet, Soros, or Gates would say.

Last edited by Max (1/07/2011 6:20 pm)

1/07/2011 6:43 pm  #16

Life isn't fair.

1/07/2011 7:03 pm  #17

forsberg_us wrote:

Life isn't fair.

Spoken like the great Louis XIV.

If that's your philosophy on government, then at least we know where we stand.

1/07/2011 7:41 pm  #18

Max wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

tkihshbt wrote:

With all due respect, Fors, I think you carry some unrealistic naivete about fairness and non-intervention.  Starting with the last discussion, the whole idea that a developing embryo has any free will in what its mother eats, or what illegal drugs its mother consumes is obviously absurd.  And yet there is a lot of evidence relating prenatal care to infant health.  Similarly, in the early years of life, a healthy environment and well-conceived stimulation are almost surely linked with health and intelligence later in life.   Why on Earth is everyone playing the Mozart CDs for their children if we don't tend to believe there is something to that?   But your previous opinions seem to disregard all this.

Similarly, when it comes to large anything, the very scale they operate on has an uneven, un-'fair', effect that can best be countered by government intervention, but you seem to either dismiss the former and/or detest the latter.  But in contrast, this basic premise is almost universally agreed upon: we all understand how deleterious it can be for any one company to form a monopoly, or any one person to purchase so much local property that they have Mr. Potter-like influence on the Bedford Falls of the world.  Do you not recall when banks were holding our deposits for 2 weeks, and collecting interest on that money and keeping it for themselves, even though electronic transfers made the exchange almost instantaneous?  It took an act of congress to get them to change their business practices back then.  Was that misguided intervention by the government?

Again, harkening back to Lincoln, we will only do those things collectively that we cannot do better individually: we need government to act as a counterbalance against the power and influence of wealthy people and organizations who, quite naturally, operate for their own benefit, and not for the general good.  And before you repeat your assertion that I resent wealthy people, realize that what I am writing is not all that different from what Buffet, Soros, or Gates would say.

Because women are stupid.  Sorry Web but the idea that listening to a piano will make a kid smart tells you that some people will believe anyone.

1/08/2011 9:55 am  #19

Maybe you are trying to be funny, again, but scientists can actually study this stuff in quite a lot of detail these days with a fancy technique called functional MRI, where they can track the blood flow in the brain during all sorts of different activities to see what part of the brain is being used.  Next, it turns out that brain development, repair and regeneration works like most any other part of your body.  Use it and it gets stronger, or at least affect its development. 

As came up earlier, this has been shown with language acquisition.  Learn new languages before puberty and you will use the primary "language" portion of your brain for all of them.  Learn secondary languages after puberty and they will always be just that, secondary, with the brain actually using a different, more analytical part of the brain.  And here's a kicker for the kids raised in isolation: learn no language at all before puberty and your ability to learn any language is very, very limited.

One quick google search for "functional MRI music" got me started and led to this study which shows that musicians and non-musicians actually use different parts of their brain when hearing different note combinations: "In musicians, the inferior frontal gyrus, superior temporal gyrus, medial frontal gyrus, inferior parietal lobule and anterior cingulate respond with progressively more activation to perfect consonances, imperfect consonances and dissonances. In nonmusicians only the right inferior frontal gyrus follows this pattern."

http://journals.lww.com/neuroreport/Abstract/2007/10080/Neural_correlates_of_the_Pythagorean_ratio_rules.3.aspx

1/08/2011 3:40 pm  #20

I think it is a retarded method to sell iteams.  And "Scientists" studies can say whatever that person wants them to say. 

http://www.livescience.com/health/070814_bad_baby.html

1/08/2011 3:55 pm  #21

APRTW wrote:

I think it is a retarded method to sell iteams.  And "Scientists" studies can say whatever that person wants them to say. 

(grin) (grin) (grin) (grin) (grin)

You're right Max. AP is pretty darn smart when he wants to be.

1/08/2011 4:35 pm  #22

I just spent an hour in "Max Land" a/k/a CYC 2nd grade girls basketball.

First, there is no score kept. No winner, no loser. Everyone feels better for simply having participated.

The government a/k/a the referees make sure everything is fair. If a girl travels, they blow the whistle, tell the girl she traveled, but the team gets to keep the ball. Same for double dribbling. Break the rules and you'll get spoken to, but no consequences.

The team that doesn't have the ball isn't allowed to play defense. If a shot goes up and the defensive team rebounds, the team now on defense has to clear the zone. Once the ball crosses half court, the defense is allowed to put their arms out to the side and move their feet, but if a girl actually steals the ball, the government blows the whistle and gives the ball back to the team from which it was taken.

It's a good thing they don't keep score, my daughters team would have lost 10-8. I can't inmagine the years of therapy we would have had to go through if I had to tell her that her team lost.

You're right Max.  I've seen the light. All thanks to an hour of my life I'll never get back.

1/08/2011 6:19 pm  #23

forsberg_us wrote:

First, there is no score kept. No winner, no loser. Everyone feels better for simply having participated.

The government a/k/a the referees make sure everything is fair. If a girl travels, they blow the whistle, tell the girl she traveled, but the team gets to keep the ball. Same for double dribbling. Break the rules and you'll get spoken to, but no consequences.

The team that doesn't have the ball isn't allowed to play defense. If a shot goes up and the defensive team rebounds, the team now on defense has to clear the zone. Once the ball crosses half court, the defense is allowed to put their arms out to the side and move their feet, but if a girl actually steals the ball, the government blows the whistle and gives the ball back to the team from which it was taken.

It's a good thing they don't keep score, my daughters team would have lost 10-8. I can't inmagine the years of therapy we would have had to go through if I had to tell her that her team lost.

You're right Max.  I've seen the light. All thanks to an hour of my life I'll never get back.

Was Mozart playing in the background?

1/08/2011 6:23 pm  #24

APRTW wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

Was Mozart playing in the background?

(grin) (grin) (grin) (grin) (grin)

1/08/2011 6:24 pm  #25

APRTW wrote:

Well, if you read closely, what I wrote was: "if we don't tend to believe there is something to that."

First off, the original study that got that all started was about listening to music, not watching DVDs.  Even then, the idea that listening to Mozart does something "better" than, say, listening to Beethoven is speculative, to say the least.

Next, the choices in life are often A or B, not A or perfection.  If you don't have time to interact with your kids, they are probably better off watching a DVD than sitting in an empty room with no stimulation.  Once you have made that compromise, then an hour of Baby Einstein is probably better than an hour of random TV . . . that's my hunch.

But the take-away message is that the brain develops like any other part of your body, and certain parts need to be used prior to puberty-ish or else they pretty much have no chance to develop at all.

Board footera