You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/21/2019 11:45 am  #1

STL Public Transportation

Took the kids to downtown st louis this weekend.  Pretty simple day trip.  We knew they would love the metro ride so that was on the agenda.  Also in the plans were the arch, quick trip to ballpark village, union station, metro ride back to illinois and quick trip to chucky cheese for the arcade portion.  All went well.  Metro ride was interesting to say the least. 

1.  The kids got to witness a guy who was clearly high do a pretty good riding a horse/cowboy dance.  Idk how else to describe it.  They thought it was funny tho.

2.  A guy who i could smell the booze rolling off of exit the train and immediately start puking.  Mind you this is at 10am.

3.  Some dude passed out high or drunk sit there the whole trip.  Idk where he was going but we were the last stop so he headed back the other way.  Maybe he was dead.

4.  Got hassled by a thoothless homeless crackhead about how union station was shut down and what was to come.  Then she asked for money. 

Of course my hick raised kids failed to recognize the nastiness of it all and loved the ride.  Thought the arch was cool as hell.  Enjoyed feeding the fish at union station and chucky cheese was actually fun since we were only there for 40 minutes. Good trip but man am i uncomfortable in the big city.

7/21/2019 4:18 pm  #2

Re: STL Public Transportation

Come to Boston and ride the MBTA. It's like standing up in a roller coaster.

7/21/2019 6:03 pm  #3

The metro is relatively smooth as far as ride goes.  I just felt like we was probably the only people on it who had not participated in the consumption of a controlled substance and the only people who showered within the last 24hrs.

7/22/2019 8:04 am  #4

APIAD wrote:

The metro is relatively smooth as far as ride goes. I just felt like we was probably the only people on it who had not participated in the consumption of a controlled substance and the only people who showered within the last 24hrs.

I can't imagine what that must have been like considering it was what, around 100 degrees this weekend?
I once tried to figure out what I would have to do to take public transportation from home to work. I can pick up a bus roughly at the end of my street and take it to the closest subway station, which is about eight miles away. I'd take the subway to downtown Boston and change to a different subway line to get to the commuter rail depot at North Station (next to the arena where the Celtics and Bruins play), and then take a train for about 10 miles. Then I would take a bus for about a half-hour to where I work. 
And the cost of all this is about $12. Each way. The buses and the subway don't take cash any more, so you have to arrange in advance to obtain what the MBTA refers to as a "Charlie Card."
And, if you're lucky, every once in awhile you'll get stuck on a bus that will break down. Or, you're more likely to get held up by a subway car that stops for no apparent reason or derails.

7/22/2019 10:35 am  #5

Glad you survived riding the Metro Link.  I honestly don't know anyone who uses that thing any more because they've done such a poor job with security.  The only thing you guys missed out on was someone being robbed or shot at one of the platforms.

7/22/2019 10:42 am  #6

Its all so foreign to me. Im used to travel time taking me whatever the speed limit is to get there.  You might add slowing down for a tractor or one stop light.  Getting to work takes 15 minutes to a half hour for most people around here and thats purely dependant on miles traveled, not traffic. 

The girls were absolutely mystified by all the buildings.  Its really cool to see them react to it all because they just are not used to seeing it.  The arch is the arch after you have been in but you sort of forget the thrill of the first time.  Im sure i would adjust and if i traveled to the city i might be able to deal with working in it.  Although the travel would stress me out in itself.  I love my space and simple living. I like that i dont get hassled by homeless or exposed to crackheads on a daily basis.  Idk how you and fors deal with the city on a daily basis. 

One good thing to come of the trip is that the girls want to go to a game now.  Before i would ask them while i was watching it on tv and the most excitement i got out of them was an "i guess".  Now that they have seen the stadium they really want to go.  Im excited to take them.  I know the game will not be exciting to them but they will love the suroundings.

7/22/2019 10:56 am  #7

forsberg_us wrote:

Glad you survived riding the Metro Link.  I honestly don't know anyone who uses that thing any more because they've done such a poor job with security.  The only thing you guys missed out on was someone being robbed or shot at one of the platforms.

I think for cardinal games it gets filled with game going folks.  The whole time there was two older ladies that got on it who were site seeing and one very nice dressed young lady who clearly worked downtown in a office.  She was enduring small talk with an under privileged gentleman.  I was thinking to myself, fuck no would i allow my wife or daughter on there alone.

There was several security personnel on the platforms and on the train.  However they did very little to make me feel more safe.    On top of it all i didnt carry because the arch said it would be a pain in my ass to secure my weapon there.  I never dont carry and ive never wished i had it on me more. Im not a omg, i got to have a gun on me at all times guy but i might of been one of the only ones on there that didnt. I usually carry locally out of obligation and when we travel for my family.  Deffinatly added to my level of uncomfortableness.  Glad i left my MAGA trucker hat and my confederate cut off shirt at home......jokes

Fuck, even chucky cheese had a real cop posted in their facility.  You would think the metro could.

When i take the girls to a game ill prob take them to a sunday day game, park at the queen and mwtro over.  I expect the atmosphere to be slightly different.

7/22/2019 11:04 am  #8

The heat wasnt bad.  Barely broke a sweat but i wasnt outside much.  Option 2 was going to the public pool.  Sitting by a pool all day would of sucked.

7/22/2019 11:48 am  #9

APIAD wrote:

Its all so foreign to me. Im used to travel time taking me whatever the speed limit is to get there. You might add slowing down for a tractor or one stop light. Getting to work takes 15 minutes to a half hour for most people around here and thats purely dependant on miles traveled, not traffic.

The girls were absolutely mystified by all the buildings. Its really cool to see them react to it all because they just are not used to seeing it. The arch is the arch after you have been in but you sort of forget the thrill of the first time. Im sure i would adjust and if i traveled to the city i might be able to deal with working in it. Although the travel would stress me out in itself. I love my space and simple living. I like that i dont get hassled by homeless or exposed to crackheads on a daily basis. Idk how you and fors deal with the city on a daily basis.

One good thing to come of the trip is that the girls want to go to a game now. Before i would ask them while i was watching it on tv and the most excitement i got out of them was an "i guess". Now that they have seen the stadium they really want to go. Im excited to take them. I know the game will not be exciting to them but they will love the suroundings.

I don't deal with anything close to what Artie deals with in terms of traffic.  I live in the suburbs, and my drive to/from work is about 20 miles each way.  I can get to work in under a half hour, and I rarely sit in traffic (only if there's an accident).  Traffic going home can be a little worse during rush hour.  Since my hours are flexible, I just try to avoid being on the road during those times.

The really bad highway in St. Louis is Highway 64.  Highway 44 has been bad lately because of construction.  I live closest to Highway 70, so I avoid the bad traffic.

7/22/2019 1:47 pm  #10

My biggest issue with the Arch was fighting back my claustrophobic tendencies in that tiny elevator, with five people I didn't know.
I like St. Louis. The area around the ballpark is vibrant, but I never felt unsafe, even when I was walking by myself. Maybe I'm blissfully ignorant, but I've never really felt unsafe in any city I've visited, except at night in the area around Yankee Stadium in the '80s. The South Bronx was a war zone then.
And I almost got ripped off in Rome by a bunch of gypsy kids near the Colosseum, about 10 minutes after someone on the train told me to beware of roaming gangs of gypsy kids who will try to rip you off if you're near the Colosseum. 

7/22/2019 9:01 pm  #11

artie_fufkin wrote:

My biggest issue with the Arch was fighting back my claustrophobic tendencies in that tiny elevator, with five people I didn't know.
I like St. Louis. The area around the ballpark is vibrant, but I never felt unsafe, even when I was walking by myself. Maybe I'm blissfully ignorant, but I've never really felt unsafe in any city I've visited, except at night in the area around Yankee Stadium in the '80s. The South Bronx was a war zone then.
And I almost got ripped off in Rome by a bunch of gypsy kids near the Colosseum, about 10 minutes after someone on the train told me to beware of roaming gangs of gypsy kids who will try to rip you off if you're near the Colosseum. 

I like the ballpark.  I like ballpark village.  I like the arch and old capital area.  Other than that im not a huge fan of downtown st louis.  In my experience if you are there during a cardinals game things are much much different then on a off day.  The landing is pretty well trashed.  Ive been downtown 1x after dark on a non cardinals date.  I got yelled at by subjects hanging out car windows 2 different times and there was crackheads stumbling up and down the street.  Probably will not do that again.  Not saying i felt overly unsafe because my family wasnt with me.  Im just dont see a need to be there.

7/23/2019 7:06 pm  #12

APIAD wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

I like the ballpark. I like ballpark village. I like the arch and old capital area. Other than that im not a huge fan of downtown st louis. In my experience if you are there during a cardinals game things are much much different then on a off day. The landing is pretty well trashed. Ive been downtown 1x after dark on a non cardinals date. I got yelled at by subjects hanging out car windows 2 different times and there was crackheads stumbling up and down the street. Probably will not do that again. Not saying i felt overly unsafe because my family wasnt with me. Im just dont see a need to be there.

There is absolutely no reason to be downtown after about 6:00 if there isn't a sporting event going on.

If you were down there recently you saw the large unfinished building that now blocks my view into the stadium.  Bastards.

7/23/2019 7:34 pm  #13

I didnt really like the view.  I have not noticed it much on tv but in person it looked, idk out of place. 

They are apartments correct?  So more income for dewitt.

That was my thought when i went to ballpark village.  Here i am, it is a non game day and there are 50 plus people in here providing income to dewitt. 

Ill say this, dewitt might be the best business man in baseball.

7/25/2019 9:36 pm  #14

Board footera