You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/18/2019 12:31 am  #1

Not Cardinals or MLB related, but...

Proud dad gets to take a moment to brag.

In Missouri, softball is a fall sport in high school.  Don't ask me why, but it actually works out well because the weather in September/early October is a lot better than it is in March/April/May.  Anyway, Madison is in the middle of her softball season.  

Madison has been generally hitting the ball really well this season, but today was her shining moment.  Not only did she hit her first high school HR, but it was a walkoff HR.  Then, to make things even better, it just so happened that a beat writer and photographer for the Post-Dispatch was there, so she even got to do her first post-game interview.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-school/softball-fall/pattonville-beats-hazelwood-west-in-walkoff-fashion/article_4eb0d566-d9aa-11e9-926c-cb9f56e5ea0e.html

After today's game, Madison is hitting a modest .524. She's currently among the area leaders in batting average, on base percentage, doubles, triples and runs scored.

A few more photos of the game

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-school/softball-fall/pattonville-hazelwood-west/collection_0052b0b8-d9ac-11e9-87fd-8fac06b87a89.html#2

Unrelated side note, if you scroll through the photos, near the bottom you'll find a photo of our catcher tagging a runner on the thigh.  The runner was called safe.  That runner was the go-ahead run in the top of the 7th inning.  We parents about lost our minds when the umpire missed that call.

9/18/2019 7:51 am  #2

Re: Not Cardinals or MLB related, but...

Saw the story and the photos. Great stuff. 
And I was wondering about the photo of the play at the plate because the cutline (caption to you non-newspaper folk) reads the catcher *attempts* to tag the runner. 

Last edited by artie_fufkin (9/18/2019 7:53 am)

9/18/2019 8:34 am  #3

You're duly proud, Fors. Thanks for sharing.

9/18/2019 8:35 am  #4

artie_fufkin wrote:

Saw the story and the photos. Great stuff. 
And I was wondering about the photo of the play at the plate because the cutline (caption to you non-newspaper folk) reads the catcher *attempts* to tag the runner. 

Aside from the obvious--that she tagged the girl on the leg, the other thing to me that was telling was Chloe's (the catcher's) natural reaction after the tag.  She immediately ran toward the infield to watch the other base runner.  If you know you didn't tag the runner (who hadn't tagged home to that point), you don't turn your back on that girl and charge the infield looking at the other runner.  If she missed the tag, she would have continued after the runner at home.

Oh well, it simply created Madison's dramatic moment.  All's well that ends well.

9/18/2019 10:36 am  #5

Pretty cool stuff fors

10/23/2019 8:31 pm  #7

Well you should be proud

10/24/2019 11:07 am  #8

Forgot to ask if the reporter called Madison at home or if he went to a practice. I used to hate making those phone calls to teenage girls.

10/12/2020 9:44 pm  #9

Gonna bump this thread, probably for the last time.

Covid delayed the start of the season by a month and really shortened the season. Madison probably plays her last high school game tomorrow.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-school/softball-fall/softball-notebook-pattonvilles-bailey-makes-most-of-short-season/article_0889ca70-0c85-11eb-b993-330ba9ae1e2d.html

Board footera