You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/17/2019 9:55 am  #1

2020 Offseason Thread

Its that time

10/18/2019 8:25 am  #2

Re: 2020 Offseason Thread

I'm assuming Ozuna isn't coming back, since Moz and Co. would have signed him to a long-term deal by now. That leaves left field open for O'Neill, Martinez or Carlson, the kid they seem to like so much. Bader and Fowler will be on the team. Maybe those are your five outfielders. Thomas might get a look, and while Edman isn't an outfielder, he certainly did nothing to embarrass himself when he played RF.
Goldschmidt will be at first, Wong at second, DeJong at short, and you're stuck with Carpenter at third, to the degree they want to take at bats away from Edman. Munoz will probably round out the infield corps because he's inexpensive and cutting him would make the front office look foolish.
Who backs up Molina and becomes the Maytag repairman? Weiters proved to be a valuable player, and bringing him back ought to be the first option at backup catcher. Knizner probably needs another year in the minors anyway.
Flaherty, Hudson and Mikolas make up 60 percent of the rotation. I hope Wacha is gone. I don't know what they do about Wainwright. He probably exceeded everyone's expectations but his own this year. 'Spose it depends upon how much the Cardinals are willing to spend and how much he's willing to take. Maybe Ponce de Leon will get a look. Maybe Martinez comes back to the rotation. I think I saw a picture of Reyes on a milk carton, but maybe he's part of the equation. At some point he has to pitch, or the Cardinals have to move on. I doubt they go outside the organization for stating pitching.  
Miller and Gallegos will be back in the bullpen. I like Helsley. Webb was effective enough. I'm not sure what the time frame is for Hicks to return. I assume around mid-season. The rest of the bullpen I can take or leave.  

10/18/2019 10:57 am  #3

Maybe they'll get lucky and Cingrani will pull a 2017 Mikolas.

Do they make a $17.8 million QO to Ozuna?

ESPN.com says only 3 players have ever accepted qualifying offers: Neil Walker, Jeremy Hellickson, and Hyun-Jin Ryu. The author seems to have forgotten Colby Rasmus. 

10/18/2019 11:56 am  #4

JV wrote:

Maybe they'll get lucky and Cingrani will pull a 2017 Mikolas.

Do they make a $17.8 million QO to Ozuna?

ESPN.com says only 3 players have ever accepted qualifying offers: Neil Walker, Jeremy Hellickson, and Hyun-Jin Ryu. The author seems to have forgotten Colby Rasmus. 

I used to think Cingrani was his middle name because the phrase "60-day Disabled List" always came after.

You have to make a qualifying offer to Ozuna, don't you? If he accepts it, you still have a pretty good hitter.

My foremost memory of Rasmus has very little to do with anything he did on the field for the Cardinals but rather the way the media skewered Moz for trading him. In particular, Jeff "Clickbait" Passan went after Moz in about 3,000 words. And Passan was eventually hired by ... ESPN.

10/18/2019 1:02 pm  #5

I think you have to look at ways to improve the team.  With the way the roster is constructed there is no way to do that without trading someone.  You have to make an offer to ozuna but he isnt going to be back. 

If the outfield is fowler, edman, oniell, bader and whoever else from triple A it is the weakest outfield in the league.

Fowler 2019 was best case scenario.  Id look for him to decline from it. 

Bader and oneill are completely unproven. 

Edman needs to be at third. 

Imo the only option to improve is fire sale trade carp and put edman at third.  He is a major defensive and offensive upgrade.  If carp isnt traded he cant be a starter.

Trading fowler makes room for outfield improvements. 

They cant keep playing contracts.

10/21/2019 1:35 pm  #6

Tuukka has a "small procedure." Must have been brain surgery.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cards-rhp-martinez-undergoes-shoulder-004055790.html

10/23/2019 9:50 am  #7

Multiple outlets report the Cubs are going to hire David Ross as their manager.
Geez, I sure will miss him in the ESPN broadcast booth. 

10/23/2019 11:39 am  #8

artie_fufkin wrote:

It will be easier for him to suck off cub players from the dugout than the booth

10/24/2019 11:08 am  #9

APIAD wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

It will be easier for him to suck off cub players from the dugout than the booth

That's a rec.

11/03/2019 8:14 pm  #10

Wong wins a Gold Glove!

11/04/2019 6:01 pm  #11

Cardinals make an ~$18 million qualifying offer to Ozuna. 
Your move, Marcell ...

11/05/2019 8:38 pm  #12

Schildt, Moz and Girsch get extensions.

One of the three of them earned it.

11/06/2019 11:58 am  #13

forsberg_us wrote:

Schildt, Moz and Girsch get extensions.

One of the three of them earned it.

Do I get to guess which one?

11/06/2019 12:57 pm  #14

Why extend people you already have under contract

11/06/2019 2:43 pm  #15

APIAD wrote:

Because it worked so well with Matt Carpenter

11/06/2019 4:17 pm  #16

forsberg_us wrote:

APIAD wrote:

That's a rec

11/06/2019 8:04 pm  #17

forsberg_us wrote:

APIAD wrote:

Yep a rec....honestly unless your buying out arbitration years or getting a discount on a superstar i say rarely do it.

11/07/2019 3:52 pm  #18

11/12/2019 11:18 am  #19

Just got an alert on my phone the Cardinals signed Wainwright to a 1-year deal. No idea how much it's for, though.

11/12/2019 8:04 pm  #20

artie_fufkin wrote:

Just got an alert on my phone the Cardinals signed Wainwright to a 1-year deal. No idea how much it's for, though.

Prob about what they got him for last year.  He doesnt seem interested in max money.  He left some on the table by just getti bf a one year deal.  I figure someone would of gave him a two year deal

11/12/2019 8:07 pm  #21

Manager of the year goes to mike

11/12/2019 8:34 pm  #22

APIAD wrote:

Manager of the year goes to mike

Deserved because it doesn't include the playoffs. No idea how Dave Roberts finished fourth. My wife could manage the Dodgers to 100 wins.

11/13/2019 9:06 am  #23

APIAD wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

Prob about what they got him for last year. He doesnt seem interested in max money. He left some on the table by just getti bf a one year deal. I figure someone would of gave him a two year deal

$5 million base with another $5 million in incentives, according to Rosenthal. 

11/13/2019 10:53 am  #24

Molina informs the team he wants to play thru 2021, maybe 2022.

I’m not sure there’s a good outcome in this situation.

11/13/2019 11:24 am  #25

artie_fufkin wrote:

APIAD wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

Prob about what they got him for last year. He doesnt seem interested in max money. He left some on the table by just getti bf a one year deal. I figure someone would of gave him a two year deal

$5 million base with another $5 million in incentives, according to Rosenthal. 

10 mill top dollar then.  I believe thats about what last years was

Board footera