You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/13/2019 11:24 am  #26

Re: 2020 Offseason Thread

forsberg_us wrote:

Molina informs the team he wants to play thru 2021, maybe 2022.

I’m not sure there’s a good outcome in this situation.

Not unless he wants to take a reduced role.

11/13/2019 11:41 am  #27

APIAD wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

I hope he realizes he can't play baseball forever. 

11/13/2019 11:52 am  #28

forsberg_us wrote:

When's his contract expire?

11/13/2019 2:25 pm  #29

artie_fufkin wrote:

APIAD wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

He could play out his desired contract and maybe then some.  His brothers played late correct?  He just needs to catch 60 games instead of 160.

11/13/2019 2:59 pm  #30

JV wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

When's his contract expire?

The end of the 2020 season. 

11/13/2019 3:14 pm  #31

APIAD wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

APIAD wrote:

He could play out his desired contract and maybe then some. His brothers played late correct? He just needs to catch 60 games instead of 160.

Jose lasted until he was 39, but he only played in more than 100 games times twice in his career and caught around 6,800 innings. Yadi has already caught more than 16,000 innings. 
Bengie was more of a regular player and caught 10,700 innings over 13 years. He retired when he was 35.

The other aspect of this is do the Cardinals have anyone better? They traded the apparent heir apparent last year. Is Knizner going to be the guy? He's hit well enough in college and the minors, and he seems to have an arm, but who knows? Maybe, as you say, they reduce Yadi's workload and increase Knizner's this year. But is that something Yadi will stand for?

11/13/2019 6:24 pm  #32

artie_fufkin wrote:

APIAD wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

He could play out his desired contract and maybe then some. His brothers played late correct? He just needs to catch 60 games instead of 160.

Jose lasted until he was 39, but he only played in more than 100 games times twice in his career and caught around 6,800 innings. Yadi has already caught more than 16,000 innings. 
Bengie was more of a regular player and caught 10,700 innings over 13 years. He retired when he was 35.

The other aspect of this is do the Cardinals have anyone better? They traded the apparent heir apparent last year. Is Knizner going to be the guy? He's hit well enough in college and the minors, and he seems to have an arm, but who knows? Maybe, as you say, they reduce Yadi's workload and increase Knizner's this year. But is that something Yadi will stand for?

Knizner is currently the team's #3 prospect, and it was his presence that made Kelly expendable.

That's why I say this is a no-win situation. Molina's production is dropping. The team has yet to show that it is willing to limit his workload. If Molina is starting beyond 2020, he's doing so at Knizner's expense.

On the other hand, Molina has become the team's most beloved player. Next season is his 17th season with the team. He's likely headed to Cooperstown. They can't just cast him aside.

11/13/2019 7:58 pm  #33

"Knizner is currently the team's #3 prospect, and it was his presence that made Kelly expendable."

Damn. I was hoping they'd trade him because I still have a problem spelling his name.

11/13/2019 7:59 pm  #34

"They can't just cast him aside."

Belichick could.

11/13/2019 9:55 pm  #35

artie_fufkin wrote:

"Knizner is currently the team's #3 prospect, and it was his presence that made Kelly expendable."

Damn. I was hoping they'd trade him because I still have a problem spelling his name.

Not just the spelling. On the few broadcasts I heard wherein he was mentioned, it seems they pronounce it "Kizner". Is that true? I'd pronounce it "Nyzner". But then again, I'm still loath to pronounce Favre "Farve".

Last edited by JV (11/13/2019 10:00 pm)

11/14/2019 9:07 am  #36

JV wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

Not just the spelling. On the few broadcasts I heard wherein he was mentioned, it seems they pronounce it "Kizner". Is that true? I'd pronounce it "Nyzner". But then again, I'm still loath to pronounce Favre "Farve".

The Cardinals broadcasters pronounce it "Kiz-ner," with the emphasis on the first syllable. Pronunciation was a challenge for the out-of-town announcers. Not quite as bad for them as the hockey people have with "Tkachuk," though.

12/02/2019 3:45 pm  #37

MLB Network reporting Moustakos signs a 4-year deal with the Reds.

Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving. I've been too busy at work to post lately.

12/02/2019 8:05 pm  #38

artie_fufkin wrote:

Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving. I've been too busy at work to post lately.

Where does he play? Suarez is coming off a huge year and Votto isn’t going anywhere.

12/02/2019 11:04 pm  #39

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

Where does he play? Suarez is coming off a huge year and Votto isn’t going anywhere.

Second?

12/03/2019 8:43 am  #40

APIAD wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

Second?

My reaction was the same as both of yours. 

12/03/2019 3:12 pm  #41

I wouldnt of minded him at third for the cardinals.

12/04/2019 4:24 pm  #42

Cole Hamels to the Braves on a 1-year, $18 million deal.
CubFan is going to be perplexed because he thinks it's every player's dream to play for the Cubs.

12/04/2019 7:43 pm  #43

artie_fufkin wrote:

CubFan is going to be perplexed because he thinks it's every player's dream to play for the Cubs.

Probably overpaided for hamels but a one year deal is always easy to live with.  Id rather have this deal on my books than the wheeler deal.

12/04/2019 8:24 pm  #44

APIAD wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

Probably overpaided for hamels but a one year deal is always easy to live with. Id rather have this deal on my books than the wheeler deal.

You say that, but Wheeler has won more games over the past two years than the other guy on the Mets who has a pair of Cy Young Awards.

12/05/2019 3:22 pm  #45

artie_fufkin wrote:

APIAD wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

Probably overpaided for hamels but a one year deal is always easy to live with. Id rather have this deal on my books than the wheeler deal.

You say that, but Wheeler has won more games over the past two years than the other guy on the Mets who has a pair of Cy Young Awards.

Hudson and Wainwright won more games than Flaherty who won the same number of games as Gant.

Who was the best pitcher among the 4?

12/06/2019 7:55 am  #46

Tommy Pham traded to San Diego

12/06/2019 8:53 am  #47

forsberg_us wrote:

"The San Diego Padres are on the verge of landing outfielder Tommy Pham from the Tampa Bay Rays for Hunter Renfroe"

The Rays need a slot receiver?

12/06/2019 8:59 am  #48

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

APIAD wrote:

Hudson and Wainwright won more games than Flaherty who won the same number of games as Gant.

Who was the best pitcher among the 4?

Understood. And part of my problem with Flats is he usually pitches well, but he doesn't win enough games. There's no way anyone will ever convince me that wins don't have meaning. And if deGrom pitched in, say, Arizona or Texas or Tampa Bay or for another middle-of-the-pack team in a smaller city with less influential media, he wouldn't have won back-to-back Cy Young Awards. 

12/06/2019 10:49 am  #49

forsberg_us wrote:

Kind of strange. Wonder if pham wore out his welcome again

12/06/2019 12:38 pm  #50

APIAD wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

Kind of strange. Wonder if pham wore out his welcome again

Sounds like it was a money issue.  Pham is set to receive a decent contract and Tampa doesn't have the cash to pay those.

Board footera