You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/05/2019 9:16 am  #1

49ers broadcaster suspended

The San Francisco 49ers have suspended broadcaster Tim Ryan for saying on the radio Monday that Baltimore Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson has an advantage in faking handoffs because of his “dark skin with a dark football,” the San Francisco Chronicle reported Wednesday.

According to the Chronicle, the comments were made during Ryan’s weekly segment on local radio station KNBR’s “Murph and Mac” morning radio show when discussing Jackson’s exceptional performance last weekend against the Niners.Jackson rushed for over 100 yards in the Ravens’ 20-17 win, many of which came after successfully faking handoffs and running the ball himself.

“He’s really good at that fake, Lamar Jackson, but when you consider his dark skin with a dark football with a dark uniform, you could not see that thing,” Ryan said on air, according to the Chronicle. “I mean you literally could not see when he was in and out of the mesh point and if you’re a half step slow on him in terms of your vision forget about it, he’s out of the gate.”

Ryan, who is suspended for one game, gave a statement of apology to the Chronicle, and 49ers gave a statement calling Ryan a “man high integrity,” adding that he has apologized to team personnel privately.
“I regret my choice of words in trying to describe the conditions of the game. Lamar Jackson is an MVP-caliber player and I respect him greatly. I want to sincerely apologize to him and anyone else I offended,” Ryan’s statement read.

The 49ers also said they reached out to the Ravens to apologize.

12/05/2019 10:29 am  #2

Re: 49ers broadcaster suspended

Okay, so is that a smart comment?  No.  Is there some possible truth to it.  Idk maybe i guess but probably not much.  Ive not really played football but i assume that the lineman actually seeing ball and the handoff isnt what actually sells a fake. 

The bigger question to me is, is it racist?  I dont think so.  Lamar is black.  I am white.  Those are facts not racist comments. If i was wearing an all white uniform and a football was white and not brown, if these comments were made about me, would it be offensive?  Idk i guess i cant say because im not a persecuted white man.  Just seems like there are a lot if feelings to dance around anymore.

12/08/2019 2:39 pm  #3

Re: 49ers broadcaster suspended

Lamar Jackson wearing white long sleeves today in Buffalo

1st half numbers, 30 yards passing and 20 yards rushing.

🤔🤔🤔

Just kidding, I’m sure it has more to do with Buffalo playing really good defense, but it is a funny coincidence.

Board footera