You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/16/2020 7:17 pm  #1

2020 Spring Training thread

Mikolas dealing with elbow soreness. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.

2/17/2020 10:16 am  #2

Re: 2020 Spring Training thread

I really hate to be that guy, but there's a pretty significant part of me that hopes the team finishes 4th.  I think it's out of the question that they're worse than Pittsburgh, but Cincinnati has put a lot of work into improving its team and it's at least possible that they've caught the teams ahead of them.

I seriously have zero interest in watching or following anything related to this team.

2/17/2020 12:47 pm  #3

“I seriously have zero interest in watching or following anything related to this team.”

I started to dissolve about three years ago . It’s just not there . Still will follow, but from afar .
I miss Stan Musial and Dizzy Dean .

2/17/2020 8:07 pm  #4

Watching football makes me miss baseball.  Idk if I give up on baseball I might as well give up on sports period.

2/18/2020 8:54 am  #5

APIAD wrote:

Watching football makes me miss baseball. Idk if I give up on baseball I might as well give up on sports period.

I'm finding it harder to watch an event in which I don't have a rooting interest. 

2/18/2020 8:33 pm  #6

artie_fufkin wrote:

APIAD wrote:

Watching football makes me miss baseball. Idk if I give up on baseball I might as well give up on sports period.

I'm finding it harder to watch an event in which I don't have a rooting interest. 

With few exceptions, baseball has become pretty much unwatchable for me. I have no interest in watching batters take pitch after hittable pitch before pulling the ball into a shift, runners standing stagnant on the bases and games in which hitters strike out 20-25 times. With Directv, I have 2 lines that work with the DVR. I’m much more likely to pause one line, watch something else for an hour, then turn to the game and fast forward thru the hour, stopping to see anything that looks interesting.

And that’s a Cardinals game. I can’t watch two teams I don’t care about.

I was watching MLB’s Top 100 players series. During one of the episodes, some “expert” was making the argument that batting average was an antiquated stat and that the batting title should be determined by Adjusted Runs above Replacement Level. I probably wouldn’t care except opinions like this are part of what is ruining the game for me. Stats like RBIs and Wins and batting average are being replaced by WAR, FIP and aRAR. Starting pitchers are being replaced by openers. If a starting pitcher makes 32 starts and averages 6 inning per start, we act like he’s some sort of Superman. Teams put 6 defenders on one side of the field, and “hitters” make no effort to hit the ball to an open spot. I just really don’t care to watch what the game has become, and it doesn’t help that John Mozeliak has become the face of the Cardinals management because every time I see that bow tie wearing piece of crap it’s a reminder that people who couldn’t break a piñata with a baseball bat are now making decisions about baseball personnel.

2/19/2020 9:00 am  #7

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28728982/cardinals-miles-mikolas-elbow-likely-miss-start-season

We've seen this movie before - platelet-rich injections, the inevitable appointment with Dr. Andrews, and then the teej.

2/19/2020 9:05 am  #8

"I just really don’t care to watch what the game has become, and it doesn’t help that John Mozeliak has become the face of the Cardinals management because every time I see that bow tie wearing piece of crap it’s a reminder that people who couldn’t break a piñata with a baseball bat are now making decisions about baseball personnel."

I used to say this about Zach's high school track meets, but they're eventually going to get to a point where they don't even need to play the actual games anymore. The mathematicians can just figure out probabilities and sent them along to their mirror from the opposing team and they can work out the equations. 

2/20/2020 4:44 pm  #9

artie_fufkin wrote:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28728982/cardinals-miles-mikolas-elbow-likely-miss-start-season

We've seen this movie before - platelet-rich injections, the inevitable appointment with Dr. Andrews, and then the teej.

Yep he is done.

2/20/2020 10:38 pm  #10

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

APIAD wrote:

With few exceptions, baseball has become pretty much unwatchable for me. I have no interest in watching batters take pitch after hittable pitch before pulling the ball into a shift, runners standing stagnant on the bases and games in which hitters strike out 20-25 times. With Directv, I have 2 lines that work with the DVR. I’m much more likely to pause one line, watch something else for an hour, then turn to the game and fast forward thru the hour, stopping to see anything that looks interesting.

And that’s a Cardinals game. I can’t watch two teams I don’t care about.

I was watching MLB’s Top 100 players series. During one of the episodes, some “expert” was making the argument that batting average was an antiquated stat and that the batting title should be determined by Adjusted Runs above Replacement Level. I probably wouldn’t care except opinions like this are part of what is ruining the game for me. Stats like RBIs and Wins and batting average are being replaced by WAR, FIP and aRAR. Starting pitchers are being replaced by openers. If a starting pitcher makes 32 starts and averages 6 inning per start, we act like he’s some sort of Superman. Teams put 6 defenders on one side of the field, and “hitters” make no effort to hit the ball to an open spot. I just really don’t care to watch what the game has become, and it doesn’t help that John Mozeliak has become the face of the Cardinals management because every time I see that bow tie wearing piece of crap it’s a reminder that people who couldn’t break a piñata with a baseball bat are now making decisions about baseball personnel.

I just dont like NBA.  Not a fan of college sports and the NFL is...blah.  baseball is the only sport I find to be interesting.

2/21/2020 10:52 am  #11

The NBA is unwatchable. It's all 3-pointers and dunks. There's very little movement of the basketball, almost no low post play and almost no effort on the offensive boards. 

2/24/2020 2:26 pm  #12

Wonder if this is what Dusty thought he was signing up for?

https://sports.yahoo.com/pennsylvania-little-league-bans-astros-163135053.html

2/24/2020 3:29 pm  #13

I know it's spring training and it's one outing, but Liberatore just got knocked around by the Marlins' JV team.

2/25/2020 10:06 am  #14

This team has boring wrote all over it.

2/26/2020 3:56 pm  #15

We're knee-deep in election prep, so I can't go on-line, but are the Cardinals playing split squad games today? My phone is blowing up with updates.

2/26/2020 4:05 pm  #16

artie_fufkin wrote:

We're knee-deep in election prep, so I can't go on-line, but are the Cardinals playing split squad games today? My phone is blowing up with updates.

Yes.  Houston and Miami.  No word on whether Schildt and Dusty have gotten into a fight.

2/27/2020 9:03 am  #17

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

Yes.  Houston and Miami.  No word on whether Schildt and Dusty have gotten into a fight.

I read yesterday that opposing pitchers are throwing at Astros' hitters. In spring training games. 

2/27/2020 1:35 pm  #18

In spite of the Astros sin, I see a point in time where they say we’ve had enough with the beanballs and the gloves come off .

2/27/2020 5:43 pm  #19

So ozuna says he would of taken a one year deal from cards.....how does that not make the cardinals better.

2/27/2020 6:31 pm  #20

APIAD wrote:

So ozuna says he would of taken a one year deal from cards.....how does that not make the cardinals better.

It doesn't, for now. But I'm not upset they let him walk. I realize he had an arm injury that didn't allow him to throw, but the two years he was here, he was one of the worst defensive leftfielders I've ever seen. And his offensive numbers didn't make up for his poor outfield play. He had a few power surges here and there, but overall it wasn't one of Moz's best trades.

2/27/2020 8:09 pm  #21

artie_fufkin wrote:

APIAD wrote:

It doesn't, for now. But I'm not upset they let him walk. I realize he had an arm injury that didn't allow him to throw, but the two years he was here, he was one of the worst defensive leftfielders I've ever seen. And his offensive numbers didn't make up for his poor outfield play. He had a few power surges here and there, but overall it wasn't one of Moz's best trades.

I'm not convinced that a single or combination of the cardinals outfielders can match what he did.  Hope I am proved wrong.

2/27/2020 9:15 pm  #22

APIAD wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

APIAD wrote:

I'm not convinced that a single or combination of the cardinals outfielders can match what he did.  Hope I am proved wrong.

Even if someone does perform better than Ozuna, there are 3 outfield spots. I seriously doubt that 3 Cardinal outfielders outperform Ozuna. They are definitely a worse team without him.

2/28/2020 5:39 am  #23

forsberg_us wrote:

APIAD wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

Even if someone does perform better than Ozuna, there are 3 outfield spots. I seriously doubt that 3 Cardinal outfielders outperform Ozuna. They are definitely a worse team without him.

2 more years of dexter

Yadi is saying he would take a reduced role in his extension.

2/28/2020 7:55 am  #24

APIAD wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

APIAD wrote:

2 more years of dexter

Watch Moz give him a 5 year deal

2/28/2020 9:01 am  #25

APIAD wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

APIAD wrote:

I'm not convinced that a single or combination of the cardinals outfielders can match what he did. Hope I am proved wrong.

2 more years of dexter

I was surprised how much worse, at least statistically, Dexter is in rightfield than he is in centerfield. But if you move Bader, you've basically eliminated the only reason for him to be on the team.

I suspect what Yadi says is different from what Yadi thinks. But I can't envision him in another uniform, ever.

Board footera