You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/16/2020 9:27 am  #1

Corona

This is the largest large scale overreaction I will ever see in my life time.  This is remarkable.  Remarkably stupid.

3/16/2020 7:37 pm  #2

Re: Corona

APIAD wrote:

This is the largest large scale overreaction I will ever see in my life time.  This is remarkable.  Remarkably stupid.

I said to someone over the weekend, I’m not hoping to see anyone die or get severely ill, but for all we’re going through this thing better be really, really bad.

Bob was the first in our family impacted. He was home for spring break last week when he got the email that his college was doing online classes for the rest of the semester (starting next week). My wife’s school district is on spring break this week. We have no idea when/if she’s going back to work this school year. Madison’s school district was supposed to start spring break next week. Now they start Wednesday and will do online classes indefinitely. Then, today, I received notice that our office is basically closed unless you have to be there and we’re supposed to work remotely for the indefinite future.

The 4 of us will basically be staring at each other for goodness knows how long. Should be a blast.

3/16/2020 8:06 pm  #3

“The 4 of us wil basically be staring at each other for goodness knows how long . Should be a blast.”

Try and get control of Boardwalk, Park Place , and the railroads. Piece of cake .

3/17/2020 7:49 am  #4

This is a crazy world.  It is almost like the mind frame of baseball season has spread to the entire country.  Win 3 games and your going to the world series.  Lose 2 and it's time to trade everyone to Colorado.

3/17/2020 7:58 am  #5

I'm concerned because Sheryl has an autoimmune disease. If someone sneezes within 20 feet of her, she gets sick. But her employer told her last Friday that she can work from home, so maybe she won't get this. Our building has been closed to the public, but there are five of us working in an office that is about 600-square-feet. I hate the fact there's no sports, but Zach and I have been watching a lot of movies.
On the other hand, traffic has been incredibly light. My usual 90-minute commute took less than 40 minutes this morning. 
The one thing that alarms me is the Pennsylvania governor closed all the state liquor stores yesterday. If that happens here, there's gonna be repercussions.

3/17/2020 12:04 pm  #6

What's the reasoning for closing liquor stores?

3/17/2020 1:23 pm  #7

APIAD wrote:

To keep the Amish sober.
From what I read, it's just the state liquor stores that are being closed. Pennsylvanians can still buy wine and beer at grocery stores.

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-state-stores-liquor-pennsylvania-closing-20200316.html

3/18/2020 2:07 am  #8

artie_fufkin wrote:

APIAD wrote:

To keep the Amish sober.
From what I read, it's just the state liquor stores that are being closed. Pennsylvanians can still buy wine and beer at grocery stores.

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-state-stores-liquor-pennsylvania-closing-20200316.html

Makes little sense to me. 

How long can you afford to shut down schools and how far can the markets tank.  There are small business owners that cant afford to take a month off, let alone 3.  Idk how deep this thing will or can get but this is crazy.  Now the talk of government bailouts.  Who baild the government out?

3/18/2020 8:06 am  #9

APIAD wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

APIAD wrote:

To keep the Amish sober.

Makes little sense to me.

How long can you afford to shut down schools and how far can the markets tank. There are small business owners that cant afford to take a month off, let alone 3. Idk how deep this thing will or can get but this is crazy. Now the talk of government bailouts. Who baild the government out?

Among the people who are affected by this that I feel the most empathy for, at least in terms of employment, are the servers at restaurants.

3/18/2020 12:36 pm  #10

I understand the knee jerk reaction of saying "Let's pay everyone $1,000/month," but I was actually having this conversation with a friend, and wouldn't a better option simply be some sort of debt relief?  Instead of giving people free money, how about implementing something where you don't have to make house or car payments while this is going on and without fear of foreclosure or repossession.  The banks/finance companies could still charge interest, it would simply get added to the back end of the loan.  That would allow people to have money at their disposal without just handing people checks.  I could see someone getting a check for $1,000 and spending the whole thing on the lottery. 

BTW- today is Day 1 of working from home.  I'm either going to end up divorced or one of us is going to kill the other.  I got up at the time I would be in the office.  Michele and the kids slept until 11.  I started working at 8:30, so by 11:30, it was pretty close to lunch time.  I could smell bacon cooking in the house.  I come out of the room where I've set up an office.  Bob has a big plate of bacon and eggs.  Madison has a big plate of bacon and eggs.  Michele has eggs.  The conversation then went something like this

Me: Did you make me any bacon and eggs?

Michele: No.  I didn't know you wanted anything.

Me: Did you think to ask?

Michele: No, you seemed busy.

Me: Is there anymore cooked?

Michele: No.  The kids ate all the bacon.  We have some eggs left if you want to cook them.

This arrangement is going to work sooooooooo well.

3/18/2020 1:43 pm  #11

Sheryl is, thankfully, working from home. Zach picked up about 20 extra hours this week because one of his co-workers basically told the owner of the store to go fuck herself and walked out.
Where I work, we've just instituted a policy today where half the staff stays home and the other half works. So I'm here today and Friday, and off tomorrow.
Our idiot mayor has also instituted a "social distancing" rule that prevents anyone from being within six feet of each other. There are two guys from the DPW putting in a new drop ceiling on the ground floor, across from the lunch room. While I was eating, the DPW's Deputy Superintendent came in to advise them of the new regulation and the conversation went something like this:
Deputy Supt.: "The mayor doesn't want you guys working within six feet of each other anymore."
Laborer #1: "Does he know we're hanging tiles?"
Deputy Supt: "Yep."
Laborer #2: "These tiles are 2' x 3'. How are we supposed to put in a ceiling if we can't be within six feet of each other?"
Deputy Supt.: "No idea."

3/18/2020 9:13 pm  #12

Yes the whole restaurant business is fucked.  Small business are fucked.  I feel bad for both.  Successful business are going to be ruined.

My life has been unaffected.  I dont got to bars, do t eat out, workout at home and I hate people.  Plus I still have to work.  I kill my own food and always have plenty of shit paper. 

I'm against 1,000 gift.  I dont see how it does anything but quick spike the economy and nothing more.

3/20/2020 8:05 am  #13

APIAD wrote:

Yes the whole restaurant business is fucked. Small business are fucked. I feel bad for both. Successful business are going to be ruined.

My life has been unaffected. I dont got to bars, do t eat out, workout at home and I hate people. Plus I still have to work. I kill my own food and always have plenty of shit paper.

I'm against 1,000 gift. I dont see how it does anything but quick spike the economy and nothing more.

I dumped my gym membership because I've been sick three times since Christmas. People don't wipe down their machines after they use them, and I was spending more time cleaning than actually working out. 
My first day at home was OK. Boring, but OK. I told Zach "I want to watch a movie, but not one I have to think a lot about," and wham-o, "Taken" with Liam Neeson came on AMC.

3/20/2020 3:14 pm  #14

I panicked today.  Heard fatass governor was shutting everything down.  Before I heard it did not include grocery stores and gas station I went to DG and bought milk and break since I was out and to the gas station and grabbed a 30 pack. I'm got for 2 or 3 weeks now.

3/20/2020 5:12 pm  #15

APIAD wrote:

I panicked today. Heard fatass governor was shutting everything down. Before I heard it did not include grocery stores and gas station I went to DG and bought milk and break since I was out and to the gas station and grabbed a 30 pack. I'm got for 2 or 3 weeks now.

I went to the liquor store today and there was a line. Not at the checkout. A line to get into the store. I like beer, but I'm not waiting in line to get into a liquor store.

3/20/2020 11:13 pm  #16

My panick was for nothing.  Basicly everything will remain open.

4/01/2020 10:41 am  #17

4/11/2020 5:23 pm  #18

Been busy and have neglected to check in here. I hope you're all surviving. Be thankful you're not craving booze you don't have and can't buy. I'd blame Governor Wolf but suspect the State Store union workers saw everyone else getting to stay home and put the pressure on. So I still blame Wolf. He declared lawn and garden centers nonessential overnight, so the Lowe's near my house was happy to sell me a mower online but not crabgrass preventer, fertilizer, etc. Plant sellers had to scramble to figure out how to unload their spring inventories.  Effing crazy.

4/11/2020 5:51 pm  #19

https://www.facebook.com/groups/125879764171844/permalink/2938052369621222/

I hope this works, because you need to see the post in its native environment in order to get why I think it's worthy of this group. There's a detail that puts its stupidity in the proper context.

Last edited by JV (4/11/2020 6:00 pm)

4/12/2020 7:09 pm  #20

JV wrote:

I hope this works, because you need to see the post in its native environment in order to get why I think it's worthy of this group. There's a detail that puts its stupidity in the proper context.

I dropped my Facebook account when Putin's operatives started bombarding me with notifications, after I posted a picture on my profile of Pelosi ripping in half Fearless Leader's misstatements-of-the-union address.

4/12/2020 7:11 pm  #21

JV wrote:

Been busy and have neglected to check in here. I hope you're all surviving. Be thankful you're not craving booze you don't have and can't buy. I'd blame Governor Wolf but suspect the State Store union workers saw everyone else getting to stay home and put the pressure on. So I still blame Wolf. He declared lawn and garden centers nonessential overnight, so the Lowe's near my house was happy to sell me a mower online but not crabgrass preventer, fertilizer, etc. Plant sellers had to scramble to figure out how to unload their spring inventories. Effing crazy.

I can't imagine going through this without alcohol. 

4/12/2020 8:26 pm  #22

artie_fufkin wrote:

JV wrote:

I dropped my Facebook account when Putin's operatives started bombarding me with notifications, after I posted a picture on my profile of Pelosi ripping in half Fearless Leader's misstatements-of-the-union address.

For the record, I never worked for Putin.

4/13/2020 8:14 am  #23

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

JV wrote:

That's the type of response I'd expect from a Russian bot.

4/13/2020 9:32 am  #24

artie_fufkin wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

That's the type of response I'd expect from a Russian bot.

4/13/2020 10:27 am  #25

I was talking about this with Zach the other day. Why wasn't there ever a third fight between Rocky and Clubber Lang? Back in the day, there was always a third fight.
This is how bored I am.

Board footera