You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/13/2020 3:29 pm  #1

My "Worst Movies Ever" list

Caddyshack II - undeniably the worst movie I've ever seen, at least partly because of the discrepancy in quality between the original and the sequel.

After that, the following in no particular order:
Rocky V
Attack of the Clones/Revenge of the Sith - Episodes 2 and 3 in the chronological order of the series, and the 5th and 6th to be released. I pretty much hate every Star Wars movie after the original trilogy, but these two stand out for their putridness because of Hayden Christiansen's acting
Annie Hall - The only movie I've ever walked out of. Thus began my long an enduring hatred of anything produced by, directed by or involving Woody Allen
Striptease
Fever Pitch - The Jimmy Fallon/Drew Barrymore tripe-fest that ends with them on the field at Busch Stadium at the end of the 2004 World Series. The original version set in England about Arsenal winning the first division title in 1989 is actually entertaining
Cocktail/Jerry Maguire/Rock of Ages/Top Gun - Pretty much anything with Tom Cruise not named Risky Business or A Few Good Men
Any Batman movie that doesn't star Adam West - In fact, I pretty much hate any superhero movie at this point. The only good one I've seen in the last 30 years is the Incredibles.

Keep in mind these are just the movies I've seen. There's an entire trove of junk by the likes of Adam Sandler, Jim Carrey, Eddie Murphy and Stallone that I've never watched. 

4/13/2020 4:26 pm  #2

Re: My "Worst Movies Ever" list

If a movie is really bad, I tend to forget I ever watched it.  I had to look up Rocky V to remember that was the one with Tommy Morrison (yeah, that was terrible).

I can't disagree with you on the bad acting by Hayden Christiansen, but the special effects were so much better than the original trilogy, it made my movies tolerable.  The most recent trilogy, however, has completely lost my interest.

I'm not sure I ever saw Striptease, but even without seeing it, I bet it's Academy Award quality compared to Show Girls.

The actors you listed had good and bad material.  I saw Eddie Murphy live during the Raw tour, and when he first started acting, his stuff was actually pretty good.  48 Hours, Trading Places, Beverly Hill Cop and Coming to America were all pretty good.  You can keep Dr. Doolittle and pretty much all of the sequels.

Bob is currently taking a class called something like "British History through Film."  We watched a movie called "Mangal Pandey: The Rising," which is supposedly about events leading to the First War of Independence between Britain and India.  It's a Bollywood film.  If you've never watched a Bollywood movie, it's almost impossible to describe.  One minute, the main character is facing execution, the next there are five guys on an elephant leading a musical number.  One of the main characters is sold into slavery as a prostitute.  The next time you see her she's leading a musical number with the other hookers/slaves.  It's sort of like watching Schindler's List, the Musical. 

4/13/2020 4:54 pm  #3

"The most recent trilogy, however, has completely lost my interest."

I saw Episode 7, whichever that one was called, and I thought it was awful. My buddy convinced me to see Episode 8, and I fell asleep. I haven't seen 9, the Han Solo movie or the one between 3-4. 

"I'm not sure I ever saw Striptease, but even without seeing it, I bet it's Academy Award quality compared to Show Girls."

Show Girls falls into that category of movies that are so bad they're unintentionally funny, like Road House or Con Air or any of the Taken series. 

"I saw Eddie Murphy live during the Raw tour, and when he first started acting, his stuff was actually pretty good.  48 Hours, Trading Places, Beverly Hill Cop and Coming to America were all pretty good.  You can keep Dr. Doolittle and pretty much all of the sequels." 

Ditto. The dividing line for Murphy is Another 48 Hours or Beverly Hills Cop II, which ever came first.

"It's sort of like watching Schindler's List, the Musical."

Wasn't that called "The Producers?"
I know nothing about Bollywood except it's a genre that emanates from India, but after this description, I may have to inquire. 

4/13/2020 8:03 pm  #4

This is the opening scene

https://youtu.be/il29hi7Jryk

The brothel scene

https://youtu.be/3Rx6EZsNma0

Board footera