You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/08/2020 2:35 pm  #1

2020 draft crap

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/2020-mlb-mock-draft-spencer-155021181.html

Go figure. ASU finally has a Top 10 team again and the consensus #1 pick in the draft, and they get shut down by the Coronavirus.
Whichever team gets Nick Gonzales is going to be pleased. He had a 1.765 OPS before the season got shut down. I know the WAC isn't the American League East, and some of the parks in which he plays are at high altitude, but this kid can rake.
As one would expect because no one has had a chance to make an impression in almost three months, the mock drafts are all over the place for the Cardinals at #21. This one has them picking Foscue, who kind of strikes me as more of a Bo Hart than the Dustin Pedroia comp I read in one of the scouting reports. They could go the safe route and pick Beeter from Texas Tech who could slot into their bullpen as soon as 2022, or they could go for a high risk/reward and pick the flamethrower from Oklahoma, Cavilli or Covilli. 
One of the more interesting prospects that some of the mock drafts have them taking is Ed Howard, the kid who played shortstop on the team from Chicago that made it to the LLWS a half-dozen years ago. The kid is supposedly (and I hate this word) tools-y as all heck, but whoever picks him is going to have to throw enough dough at him to get him to break his commitment to Oklahoma.  

6/10/2020 8:41 pm  #2

Re: 2020 draft crap

They took Jordan Walker, a high school third baseman.

From ESPN

42. Jordan Walker, 3B, Decatur HS (GA), Duke commit, 40+ FV: Walker has huge raw power and is a famous name with some track record on the summer circuit, but his lateral quickness and breaking ball recognition were just OK early this spring.

From CBS

40. Jordan Walker, 3B, Decatur (HS)
Walker, armed with a Duke commitment, is viewed as a tougher sign than his peers. If he signals to teams he's turning pro he should be the top prep corner infielder off the board. Walker is listed at 6-foot-5, which would tie him with Kris Bryant for the tallest third baseman in the majors. Predictably, one of his top selling points is his power potential. Even more predictably, there are concerns he'll have to move away from the hot corner due to his size. A team who believes he can play third and hit in the middle of the order could pop him in the first round.

From MLB.com

33. Jordan Walker

Scouting Grades/Report (20-80 grading scale)

HIT. 45.              POWER  60

RUN  45.             ARM.    55

FIELD  45.           OVERALL.  50

Arguably the best Duke baseball recruit ever, Walker is a quality student whose parents attended MIT and Harvard. The odds of him becoming a Blue Devil decreased, however, when he established himself as the top corner-infield prospect in the 2020 high school class. Georgia has produced a prep position player in the first round of 10 of the last 12 Drafts and he could join that club in June.

Walker generates easy bat speed from the right side of the plate and has tremendous leverage and projectable strength in his 6-foot-5 frame, giving him some of the best power potential in this Draft. There are some mixed opinions on his hitting ability because his size creates a naturally long swing and he needs to improve his ability to recognize breaking balls. But he also shows some feel for hitting and the ability to make adjustments, so he should make enough contact to tap into his pop.

Athletic for his size, Walker can produce some solid run times but figures to lose a step once he matures physically. He should be able to remain at third base for a while, though if he loses some quickness he'll likely wind up on an outfield corner. He has solid arm strength and has been clocked in the low 90s on the mound, so he should profile well in right field if he has to move.

6/11/2020 8:35 am  #3

I watched the MLBN version of the draft and Harold Reynolds and Dan O'Dowd were both effusive in their praise of Walker, both as a player and a person. Reynolds compared him to Bryant, and O'Dowd compared him to Dave Winfield, which obviously is stunning because I'm not sure anyone had more pre-draft hype than Winfield, with the possible exception of Ken Griffey Jr.
Reynolds also said Walker may end up at first base, which makes this a riskier pick.

6/11/2020 9:52 am  #4

I watched the same show.  I can't remember whether it was the MLBN show or somewhere else where someone made the comparison of Gorman and Walker to Bryant and Rizzo.  If Walker has to move to 1B, and that's what they end up with, I'd be OK with that.

Nothing like projecting 18 year old kids.

I did read something last night where Walker's dad praised the MLB scholarship program that allows players drafted out of high school to complete their education.  It sounds like Walker's willing to sign.

6/11/2020 11:39 am  #5

"It sounds like Walker's willing to sign."

If you're going to spend a first round pick on a kid with a scholarship offer to Duke in his back pocket, you better be damn well sure he's going to sign. Five years ago, the only reason to attend Duke on a baseball scholarship was for the (albeit considerable) education, but the program has really flourished under the current coach.

"Nothing like projecting 18 year old kids." 

I was trying to explain to Zach last night the difference between the MLB draft and the NFL draft, and I wasn't doing a very good job, but it's so much harder to project what can happen to a high school senior with a baseball skill set between the draft and the major leagues, and a 21-year-old kid with a football skill set between college and the pros. 

6/12/2020 10:15 am  #6

Board footera