You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/17/2020 6:18 pm  #1

8/17 Game 1 GC

I knew that the modern way of playing baseball had turned me off of the game, but I never appreciated how much until today. I hadn’t watched an inning of baseball until I decided to turn on the game simply because there was nothing better on.

I turn it on in the 7th (which is the last inning since they’re playing a double header, and the first pitch I see, Goldschmidt hits a double. O’Neal is behind him and is hacking away trying to pull outside pitches, but works a walk. Next is Carpenter. With runners on 1st and 2nd, the Cubs are playing the shift on Carpenter, so if Carpenter simply drops a bunt down the third base line it’s a guaranteed sacrifice and probably a hit, but he too is trying to pull outside pitches. He ends up pulling one for a hit to RF to load the bases for Carlson. Carlson ends up hitting into a force out which brings up Brad Miller who ended up doubling in 2.

Instead of being happy that the team is now up 3-1 headed into the bottom of the inning, all I can think of is how bad of an approach today’s hitters take at the plate. There’s no effort at team baseball. It’s all about the batter trying to hit HRs and being the hero.

I’d rather watch my daughter play softball than watch this crap. It’s basically a team version of HR Derby.

8/20/2020 2:29 am  #2

Re: 8/17 Game 1 GC

forsberg_us wrote:

I knew that the modern way of playing baseball had turned me off of the game, but I never appreciated how much until today. I hadn’t watched an inning of baseball until I decided to turn on the game simply because there was nothing better on.

I turn it on in the 7th (which is the last inning since they’re playing a double header, and the first pitch I see, Goldschmidt hits a double. O’Neal is behind him and is hacking away trying to pull outside pitches, but works a walk. Next is Carpenter. With runners on 1st and 2nd, the Cubs are playing the shift on Carpenter, so if Carpenter simply drops a bunt down the third base line it’s a guaranteed sacrifice and probably a hit, but he too is trying to pull outside pitches. He ends up pulling one for a hit to RF to load the bases for Carlson. Carlson ends up hitting into a force out which brings up Brad Miller who ended up doubling in 2.

Instead of being happy that the team is now up 3-1 headed into the bottom of the inning, all I can think of is how bad of an approach today’s hitters take at the plate. There’s no effort at team baseball. It’s all about the batter trying to hit HRs and being the hero.

I’d rather watch my daughter play softball than watch this crap. It’s basically a team version of HR Derby.

I can't decide how I feel about it all.  I still like the sport but find myself opting out alot.

Board footera