You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/22/2011 12:50 pm  #26

Re: 6th grade girls basketball, first experience

Have you made partner?

2/22/2011 3:08 pm  #27

Max wrote:

Have you made partner?

yes, but non-equity

3/02/2011 11:00 am  #28

So the callous dad was standing with another callous dad during practice last night, and I walked in just as one of them laughed as my daughter made a particularly lame attempt during a drill that required the girls shoot with their left hand.  Later, the losing squad had to run "suicides" and one of the dad's yelled out (to his daughter, I hope) "Don't let **** beat you!"

So them I asked my daughter about those dads and commented on what I had heard and how I thought it was inappropriate and not in keeping with the coaches philosophy.  Her response was, "that's weird, because that dad's daughter is the nicest girl in the whole school.  Oh, by the way Dad, tomorrow night's game is supposed to be against a really good team." 

Me: So, was the team you played two weeks ago one of the really bad ones?

Her: I don't know.  We don't really talk about who's bad, just about who's good.

Take home message: kids these days have a much healthier attitude of mutual support in competition than kids did when and where I was growing up.

3/02/2011 11:28 am  #29

"Take home message: kids these days have a much healthier attitude of mutual support in competition than kids did when and where I was growing up."

That may be a gender thing, Max. Boys, even our kids' age, can be much more cutthroat when it comes to competition. A boy from another basketball team in our league that beat us a couple of weeks ago started trash-talking my wife in the middle of a service at her temple last weekend.
We won our semifinal round game last night. We had the second game of the night. The team that won the first semifinal, which is by far the best team in the league, hung around for our game, and started taunting my kids after we won.
I wish I could say we're going to make them eat their words when we play them on Thursday, but we have to have some kind of Villanova/Georgetown thing happen to pull it off.

3/02/2011 11:31 am  #30

Good point.  It's probably a gender thing.

Another thing I have noticed the girls do, is when they run their relays, if a girl is having trouble making her layup, the girls on BOTH squads start cheering for the struggling girl by name.

3/02/2011 12:24 pm  #31

Max wrote:

Another thing I have noticed the girls do, is when they run their relays, if a girl is having trouble making her layup, the girls on BOTH squads start cheering for the struggling girl by name.

Whereas when I let my boys play knockout, the kid under the hoop will use his ball to knock the rebound away from the kid at the free throw line.

3/02/2011 6:22 pm  #32

artie_fufkin wrote:

Max wrote:

Whereas when I let my boys play knockout, the kid under the hoop will use his ball to knock the rebound away from the kid at the free throw line.

Most of the girls politely wait and let the other take her shot when they meet at the same hoop during relays.

Ya know, I like girls better than boys.

Last edited by Max (3/02/2011 6:23 pm)

3/02/2011 10:09 pm  #33

Max wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

Max wrote:

Most of the girls politely wait and let the other take her shot when they meet at the same hoop during relays.

Ya know, I like girls better than boys.

The relay is a silly drill anyway. They end up rushing. I have a pet phrase: "Hurry, but don't rush." I much prefer 2-on-1s, or if they've been acting up, I have them play 1-1-1.  The problem with the 1-1-1 drill is someone eventually figures out it's more advantageous to not be the guy who's playing tighter defense.

3/02/2011 10:47 pm  #34

For some reason, this 6th grade team has 19 girls.  So, practicing in one gym creates limitations in the drills the coach I can run, I suppose.  Tonight was the second game.  The other team didn't show up.  Never seen that before.

3/03/2011 10:06 am  #35

"The other team didn't show up.  Never seen that before."

Maybe they heard about the 40-6 score from your daughter's team's last game and got scared.
19 players would constitute the largest basketball team I've ever heard of. I have 11 kids on my team and I never seem to get all of them as much playing time as I'd like. I can't even imagine what it's like trying to rotate 19.

3/03/2011 12:06 pm  #36

The coach splits the team into two 'teams' of 10 and 9, that always stay together for relays, scrimmages, etc.  For the first game he played one team in the first half, and the second team played the second half.

Yesterday's game was supposed to be just my daughter's squad of 10, but there is a children's theater group working at the school this week and 3 of the 10 girls didn't show up, probably in the play. 

FWIW, the team that was due to play last night was talked about as being "really good".  So I think it was miscommunication.  But I also think that the coaches should share each other's cell phone numbers, not just email addresses, so that when situations arise they can get in touch with each other.

3/03/2011 12:42 pm  #37

"there is a children's theater group working at the school this week and 3 of the 10 girls didn't show up, probably in the play."

Ordinarily, I'd say that's another thing the coach of a boys team doesn't have to worry about, but one of the kids on my team has to miss practice occasionally because he's in the school musical and has rehearsals from 2:30-5 p.m., every weekday but Friday.
His mom is apologetic when he has to miss basketball, but it hasn't really been an issue from my end. The kid is a nice boy, and I hope he can sing, because an NBA career isn't going to be an option.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (3/03/2011 12:42 pm)

3/03/2011 2:41 pm  #38

Last night was registration for football.  Bobby will be playing for a school program for the first time (program starts in 6th grade).  During registration, the mom of one of his basketball teammates asked how we worked the practice schedule around PSR classes (PSR stands for public school religion--it's for the Catholic kids who attend public school).  She seems a bit appalled when I told her that Bobby simply skipped PSR until football season was over.

3/03/2011 3:06 pm  #39

Jesus ain't goin' anywhere.  He'll be back in PSR after football.  She has no grounds for complaints.

3/03/2011 3:16 pm  #40

We don't normally run into a lot of issues in the spring, because baseball is on Saturday and lacrosse is on Sunday, but a couple of days of rain can create some chaos with makeups. Last year, Zach was on a lacrosse team with about a half-dozen kids who happened to play on the same baseball team. There was a lax game at 2 p.m. in a town about a half-hour north of here, and those kids who are all on the same baseball team had a makeup baseball game at 4 p.m.
A youth lax game takes about 90 minutes of real time, so as soon as the final whistle blew, it looked like a jailbreak. The kids who had to play baseball and their parents sprinted to parking lot. About 30 seconds later, the exit from the parking lot to the main road looked like the end of pit road as soon as the green flag comes out at Talladega.

3/03/2011 3:59 pm  #41

Max wrote:

Jesus ain't goin' anywhere.  He'll be back in PSR after football.  She has no grounds for complaints.

(cry) Max agrees with me. (cry)

(sorry Max, we don't have an emoticon for happy tears)

3/03/2011 8:10 pm  #42

forsberg_us wrote:

Max wrote:

(cry) Max agrees with me. (cry)

(sorry Max, we don't have an emoticon for happy tears)

Oh c'mon.  The only one on this board who I disagree with as a matter of principle is TK . . . or so I am told.

Last edited by Max (3/03/2011 8:11 pm)

3/03/2011 8:55 pm  #43

We lost, 45-39. Went 9-for-31 from the free throw line. I'm going to have a drink. Maybe two.

3/03/2011 9:18 pm  #44

artie_fufkin wrote:

I'm going to have a drink. Maybe two.

i was just about to head out to that store that sells the 750 mL single serving bottles of red wine (good for the heart, you know).

3/03/2011 11:20 pm  #45

artie_fufkin wrote:

Max wrote:

In grade school we were banned from playing knockout because the teachers though that it ment that we were going to knock eachother out.

3/03/2011 11:38 pm  #46

Max wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

I'm going to have a drink. Maybe two.

i was just about to head out to that store that sells the 750 mL single serving bottles of red wine (good for the heart, you know).

Turned out to be five. One of the good things about being a kid is you get over things quickly. The last thing Zach said to me before he went to bed tonight was "Lacrosse starts Sunday. I can't wait ..."

3/03/2011 11:40 pm  #47

APRTW wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

Max wrote:

In grade school we were banned from playing knockout because the teachers though that it ment that we were going to knock eachother out.

My aunt once prohibited my cousin and me from listening to Kiss records because she misinterpreted the New York accent in "I want to Rock & Roll All Night, and party every day ..." as a scatological reference.

3/04/2011 12:53 am  #48

750 mL merlot, $3.99

ah . .  .

3/04/2011 10:24 am  #49

Max wrote:

750 mL merlot, $3.99

ah . .  .

2010 was a good year for merlot.

3/07/2011 12:52 pm  #50

artie_fufkin wrote:

Max wrote:

When we played Knockout in high school, I'd grab someone's ball and toss it to the other end of the court. That was always a lot of fun.

Board footera