You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/30/2011 8:55 am  #76

Re: 6th grade girls basketball, first experience

"I yell, "C'mon 'good guys'.  It ain't a screen until they plant their feet."

You just don't get it, do you? All you're going to get when you say something that cynical is the quick, dirty look you got from the opposing coach.
In order to get the intended effect, you have to leap suddenly to your feet, throw your arms in the air and yell something incredibly trite like "Come on, ref! Call it both ways!!"
Children may say otherwise, but they really enjoy being humiliated by their parents in front of their peers.

3/31/2011 12:21 am  #77

Last game of the season, we played the team we had beaten 40-6.  Tonight's score: 55-22.  At the very end the coach told the girls  to pass the ball to the girls who hadn't yet touched the ball on offense.  With less than a minute to play they successfully got the ball to my daughter's hands for the first time the whole season.  She was fouled in the act of shooting, missed two free throws badly, but nevertheless headed home on Cloud Nine.  I was more happy seeing that her improved defense had forced at least two turnovers, and the opponents only scored 1-2 easy baskets on her defensive lapses.  But I had new appreciation for this 'play for athleticism, not for winning' mentality.

3/31/2011 12:25 am  #78

artie_fufkin wrote:

This was distributed as part of an email prior to the start of our playoffs, Max:

"4.      League Rules and Playing Time. The spirit of the league is that, within reason, each player should get a reasonable amount of playing time, assuming good attendance at practice, attentiveness to coach’s instructions, good behavior, etc. We know this can be difficult during the heat of playoff games, but please do your best to follow this guideline. Reasonable does not have to be equal, but it does mean that you cannot leave your best players on the floor throughout the game as you rotate in substitutes. We have seen some games this season in which teams were short 1-2 players and left their top players in for most or all of the game. Your best players need to come out of the game."

The guy whose team we played on Monday must have not gotten this message, because his point guard played 38 of 40 minutes ...

Looking this over again, I think that our coach definitely would be found in violation of this.  He had two girls who could be trusted to handle the ball, who were rotated like Jordan and Pippen during the Bulls great reign, and they both played about 30-35 minutes per game, and never were both out of the game, except once when both fouled out. 

But I'm not sure that it should be the case that you are not allowed to leave your best player in the game, while rotating in the scrubs.  I'd like to hear more about the rationale for that.

3/31/2011 9:14 am  #79

I was fortunate to have two exceptional ball-handlers, but they were almost never on the floor at the same time. The two exceptions were for about four minutes in a regular season game when I only had eight of my 11 players available, and in the last two minutes of the championship game, when we went to a desperate press to try to get back into the game.
BTW, I got interviewed by the local paper last night. A reporter is doing a story on one of my kids. This kid had never played a team sport before, and his mother signed him up for basketball after his father passed away, to kind of help him re-assimilate. I have to tell you it's a little nerve-wracking to be on the other end of an interview. I probably gave the reporter too much information, and I'm wondering which quotes she'll use.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (3/31/2011 9:15 am)

3/31/2011 11:46 am  #80

artie_fufkin wrote:

I have to tell you it's a little nerve-wracking to be on the other end of an interview. I probably gave the reporter too much information, and I'm wondering which quotes she'll use.

I've been there a few times and with experience I have learned to, like a politician, develop a message beforehand and stay on message.  Now, I don't actually succeed at that, mind you, but at least I go in with that strategy in mind.

3/31/2011 1:48 pm  #81

"I have learned to, like a politician, develop a message beforehand and stay on message.  Now, I don't actually succeed at that, mind you"

Which is (sinister chuckle) what we evil reporters count on ...

Last edited by artie_fufkin (3/31/2011 2:01 pm)

Board footera