You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/20/2011 9:36 pm  #1

neighbor's son injured in libya

i saw the headlines that two journalists died, and that reminded me of a neighbor, whose son went there as a photojournalist.  we talked about it at the time, and the stress it must put on a parent for even an adult child to make such a decision (normally he shoots for National Geographic).  i thought about him when the NYT journalists were kidnapped, released, and then mentioned how irresponsible they felt toward their families.  so after reading the story today i dropped him an email mentioning all this.  he responded with a link to the story and their 'sad news'.  turns out, i hadn't read far enough in the article, and his son was in the same attack, and was having shrapnel removed in a hospital in misrata. 

i recall that he went to libya with a group of other journalists, and given the way the story is written, i suspect that at least one of them is the guy who died with a shrapnel wound through the head.

http://www.nppa.org/news_and_events/news/2011/04/hetherington.html

Last edited by Max (4/20/2011 9:37 pm)

4/30/2011 10:46 am  #2

Re: neighbor's son injured in libya

on my way out of the country i saw the local paper publish a story that he'd been airlifted to malta.  that paper does not put evert thing online, and 'local boy injured in libya airlifted to malta' didn't make it. 

anyway, suffice to say he's lucky, since 2 of his 4 friends are dead, and the last i heard the third was still in the hospital.  the public's desire for sensational photographs leads editors to agree to dangerous and irresponsible proposals from stringers and pool reporters fighting for a tiny slice of the daily media.

this was his contract just prior to that idea to jump in a car and cross over from egpyt to libya.  for this shoot he had to leave his dslr behind, owing to weight requirements, and he did this whole job with a Lumix. 

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/03/alaska-trek/brown-photography

Last edited by Max (4/30/2011 10:47 am)

5/20/2011 4:50 pm  #3

Board footera