You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/21/2011 10:07 pm  #1

can i finally get rid of my 30" waist jeans?

It reminds me of Bill Cosby's bit about his suits: "don't go away, I'm comin' back."  I'm not so sure about the 32-inchers, but I think it's safe to say that I won't need the 30-inchers ever again. 

I came out of the forest in '96 suffering from all sorts of problems, including a bus crash on a winding mountain road, and my weight went way down to where I actually bought two pairs of size 30 pants.  My wife met me in that period and remembers those pants and hasn't let me part with them, but I think the time has come to put my foot down.  I'm up to the point that 36 doesn't feel comfortable anymore, and I finally caved and bought some 38's this past winter, but I am still optimistic that one good extended trip in the field will get me back to 34's, at least.

Now, with the impending move, I have to go through my old stuff and sort into "comes with me to Indonesia", "stays behind in storage", and "sell at the garage sale and/or give (give back, in most cases) to Goodwill."

Last edited by Max (4/21/2011 10:11 pm)

4/26/2011 10:50 pm  #2

Re: can i finally get rid of my 30" waist jeans?

I have to get a smaller belt.  My 40s are finally to big but I am not getting rid of them any time soon.

4/28/2011 7:37 pm  #3

I weighed just over 177 on the day of my departure, the heaviest and most out of shape I've been in my life.  I'm hoping that next two months takes that down closer to 165, where I'll be somewhere between a 34 and 36.  And then if all goes really well, the two months after that might bring me back down to around 155, feeling comfortable once again in 34's.  We'll see . . .

4/29/2011 9:49 am  #4

I havent weighed 180 since high school.  We just had a little weight lost competition.  I weighed in at 258 and weighed out 7 weeks later at 234.  I am not upset with that.  I would be happy if I could get down to 220.  That is what I weighed 7 years ago but I think I am head the other direction again.  Damn easter candy.  Speaking of which, I need to get on the treadmill while the kids are napping.

4/29/2011 12:19 pm  #5

24 pounds is significant.  good job.  height has something to do with weight, and if you are wearing size 40 pants and are a biscuit shy of 250, i'm guessing you're a bit taller than my 5-11.

if i had the money and the space, i'd put a treadmill in front of the TV and use it while watching games.  "sorry honey, i can't help play with the kids or do chores right now . . . i'm workin' out."

4/29/2011 2:38 pm  #6

I took off 60 last year, in part because we moved our ellipitcal in front of the TV.  I also started lifting again.  Sadly, I've become a bit lazy and put about 15 of it back on.

4/29/2011 9:16 pm  #7

60 pounds, fabulous!  yes. an elliptical in front of the TV, even better than a treadmill.  another trend is computer stations without chairs.  seems the moment we sit down our metabolic rate goes almost comatose.

4/29/2011 9:52 pm  #8

I had plenty to give back.

The best shape I was ever in was around the time I finished the police academy. I weighed about 240. I'm 6'5 and fairly thick framed. I looked like an NFL tight end. At the time I wore either 32 or 34 waist jeans and a size 50 suit coat. 

Marriage, kids, school and a general sloth-like attitude over about a 15 year period gradually turned 240 into 320. The waist was up to 44.  As my son had become more active, I realized I couldn't keep up with him, so I made a concerted effort to eat better and work out. I got down to 260  I'm probably hovering around 275 these days and need to get back on the elliptical. Now I'm wearing 40 or 42.

Last edited by forsberg_us (4/29/2011 9:56 pm)

4/29/2011 10:12 pm  #9

Max wrote:

24 pounds is significant.  good job.  height has something to do with weight, and if you are wearing size 40 pants and are a biscuit shy of 250, i'm guessing you're a bit taller than my 5-11.

if i had the money and the space, i'd put a treadmill in front of the TV and use it while watching games.  "sorry honey, i can't help play with the kids or do chores right now . . . i'm workin' out."

Not much taller.  I am 6'2". 

Our treadmill is in front of the TV.  We also have a nice bike that I could use while watching the game.  However I dont do either much.  It is much easier to have a beer or two instead.  I hate working out that late in the night.  I would never get to sleep.  I hate running as well.  Lifting is something I can bring myself to do regularly. 

I mowed the yard this afternoon and went fishing for about 3 hours.  It has been so long sice I have seen the sun that I forgot the effects that it has.  I am bright red, freezing cold and on fire at the same time.

4/29/2011 10:44 pm  #10

That sucks. I burn pretty easily. About once a year I inevitably end up looking like a lobster before I remember that sun screen was created for a reason.

4/30/2011 3:09 am  #11

forsberg_us wrote:

That sucks. I burn pretty easily. About once a year I inevitably end up looking like a lobster before I remember that sun screen was created for a reason.

Now I am up at 3am because it hurts to lay down.  I think mother nature wanted to remind me how stupid I really am.

4/30/2011 10:15 am  #12

forsberg_us wrote:

I had plenty to give back.

The best shape I was ever in was around the time I finished the police academy. I weighed about 240. I'm 6'5 and fairly thick framed. I looked like an NFL tight end. At the time I wore either 32 or 34 waist jeans and a size 50 suit coat. 

Marriage, kids, school and a general sloth-like attitude over about a 15 year period gradually turned 240 into 320. The waist was up to 44.  As my son had become more active, I realized I couldn't keep up with him, so I made a concerted effort to eat better and work out. I got down to 260  I'm probably hovering around 275 these days and need to get back on the elliptical. Now I'm wearing 40 or 42.

6'5" 275.  Now I know why you want to kick my ass so bad.  At 5'11" 175 i'm just a bug to be squashed!

4/30/2011 10:22 am  #13

APRTW wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

Now I am up at 3am because it hurts to lay down.  I think mother nature wanted to remind me how stupid I really am.

Manado is at 1 degree 29 minutes N, which means on March 21 and Sept. 21 the angle of the sun is essentially zero, and it takes about 5 minutes outside at midday for a good sunburn.  As we move closer to Jun 21 (or Dec. 21) it gets a lot better; no different from southern Canada in summer, giving me maybe an hour outside at midday before a burn sets in.  Tomorrow will be my first day out (so far I haven't set foot outside the hotel) and i'll have to watch myself as the angle of the sun at noon is still probably no more than 10-15 degrees, which is equivalent to, say, Atlanta on the first day of summer.

4/30/2011 10:33 am  #14

APRTW wrote:

Max wrote:

Not much taller.  I am 6'2".

a little bit of height yields a big change in volume (the relationship between length, area, and volume is 1st power, second power--i.e. squared, third power--i.e. cubed).

for instance, a square box 1 meter in height has a volume of 1 cubic meter, which if filled with water would weigh 1000 kg at standard pressure.  increase the height of the square to 2 meters, and the volume becomes becomes 8 cubic meters, which would weigh 8000 kg!  Doubling the height yields an eight-fold increase in weight--2 to the 3rd power).

since humans beings are three-dimensional, although not exactly a cube, increasing height by 4-5% (71 inches to 74 inches) should have an effect on weight that is much, much greater than simply 4-5% (if we were a cube we would expect weight to increase by 64-125%!).

Last edited by Max (4/30/2011 10:35 am)

Board footera