You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/13/2011 3:09 pm  #1

Final Four

The best two teams I've seen so far in the playoffs played last night.

5/13/2011 3:48 pm  #2

Re: Final Four

Tough to argue that point.

My fantasy hockey league lead is insurmountable (6 wins in 21 seasons), so I get to watch in a bit more of a relaxed state.  There's still a little money still at stake (the team that gets the most points in the playoffs gets some cash), but I've already pocketed the big prize so from here on out I'm playing with house money.

Both series should be interesting.  In the West, you have 2 chronic underachievers.  San Jose has had several good teams of late, but always fallen short of the Finals.  Vancouver hasn't been to the Finals since 1994.  IMO, this series is simple--if the Sedins remain invisible, San Jose wins easily.  The Sedins haven't done anything since the 3rd game of the Chicago series.  Ryan Kesler damn near won the Nashville series on his own, but he won't be able to single-handedly beat SJ.  If the Sedins show up, I think Vancouver is the better team, provided that Luongo doesn't shit himself.

In the East you have another chronic underachiever in Boston against a Tampa Bay team that hasn't been very good since it won the Cup in 2004.  It wouldn't surprise me if TB won, but having beaten both Montreal and Philadelphia, I think this is Boston's year.

I think the Sedins continue to play like women and the Finals ends up SJ v. Boston.  Joe Thornton gets to take his first run at a Cup in a series that opens in Boston.  How's that for a storyline?

5/13/2011 3:58 pm  #3

BTW- You often talk about the Raiders' issues with travel, and how unfair it is compared to other teams.  Try this--

So far, Boston has travelled roughly 1800 miles (2 round-trips to Montreal and 1 to Philly).  Vancouver has already travelled about 18,000 miles (2 round trips each to Chicago and Nashville).  San Jose has had to cover about 11,500 miles (2 round trips each to LA and Detroit).

The trip from Boston to Tampa is a bit longer than Vancouver to SJ, but that's still a pretty big advantage for whoever comes out of the East.

5/13/2011 10:13 pm  #4

"So far, Boston has travelled roughly 1800 miles (2 round-trips to Montreal and 1 to Philly).  Vancouver has already travelled about 18,000 miles (2 round trips each to Chicago and Nashville).  San Jose has had to cover about 11,500 miles (2 round trips each to LA and Detroit)."

Yeah, but the Canucks and the Sharks haven't had to put up with the silly French persons in Quebec. Call it a draw.

5/13/2011 10:29 pm  #5

"Joe Thornton gets to take his first run at a Cup in a series that opens in Boston.  How's that for a storyline?"

Losing Orr, even though that was ultimately Alan Eagleson's fault, will always be the lowest moment in Bruins' history, but the Thornton trade is probably second, albeit distantly.
They spun these lines about how Thornton wasn't a scorer or he wasn't tough enough or he was immature, but it was mostly about Jeremy Jacobs not wanting to pay him when he became eligible for a big payday. Jacobs is so cheap he didn't want to pay Ray Bourque, and there were several years when all they had was Ray Bourque and a faceless cast of characters.

5/15/2011 9:21 pm  #6

There's something weird about those two guys who wear green bodysuits who sit near the visitors penalty box in Vancouver trying to taunt Dany Heatley by waving the Canadian flag at him.

5/15/2011 10:43 pm  #7

artie_fufkin wrote:

There's something weird about those two guys who wear green bodysuits who sit near the visitors penalty box in Vancouver...

You needed finish the sentence. This says it all.

5/16/2011 8:13 am  #8

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

There's something weird about those two guys who wear green bodysuits who sit near the visitors penalty box in Vancouver...

You needed finish the sentence. This says it all.

Good point.

5/17/2011 8:43 pm  #9

It would appear that young Mr. Seguin did not enjoy the press box pretzels.

Wow. Seguin is all over the place. Best player on the ice. Thomas would be a close second. Apparently these teams think the All Star Game rules apply tonight.

Last edited by forsberg_us (5/17/2011 9:01 pm)

5/17/2011 9:08 pm  #10

forsberg_us wrote:

Wow. Seguin is all over the place. Best player on the ice. Thomas would be a close second. Apparently these teams think the All Star Game rules apply tonight.

The only reason he's playing in this round is because Bergeron is hurt. I'm beginning to believe the people who think Julien is a dunderhead boob.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (5/17/2011 9:09 pm)

5/17/2011 9:28 pm  #11

To borrow a line from the real Artie Fufkin: "I got no timing. It's me. I got no fuckin' timing."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Bourne-Blog-Tyler-Seguin-and-the-trouble-with-g;_ylt=AsoWaOlFsOKYRdkrs1p2hiJ7vLYF?urn=nhl-wp5086

5/17/2011 9:30 pm  #12

artie_fufkin wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

The only reason he's playing in this round is because Bergeron is hurt. I'm beginning to believe the people who think Julien is a dunderhead boob.

There were questions about whether Seguin would have been in the lineup if Bergeron could have gone tonight. I'd say after tonight's performance, Seguin should keep his skates sharp.

5/17/2011 9:38 pm  #13

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

There were questions about whether Seguin would have been in the lineup if Bergeron could have gone tonight. I'd say after tonight's performance, Seguin should keep his skates sharp.

Shawn Thornton needs to dress. He's gritty, and he gives good radio interviews.
This game ain't over. The Bruins are playing not to lose.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (5/17/2011 9:39 pm)

5/17/2011 10:03 pm  #14

artie_fufkin wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

The Bruins signed The Riot?

5/17/2011 10:27 pm  #15

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

The Bruins signed The Riot?

Thornton's a better interview. If he told Bruins' fans to show up to the rink wearing tank tops and cutoffs, there'd be badlam in the clothing department at every Walmart in New England the day of the game.

5/19/2011 8:52 pm  #16

... and the Bruins' anemic power play has returned. Can you decline a penalty in hockey?

5/19/2011 9:33 pm  #17

Thomas hasn't had to be spectacular so far, but I don't think I've seen him make a bad decision tonight.

5/20/2011 9:44 am  #18

I couldn't tell whether Boston played really well last night or if that was the worst game Tampa had played since Game 4 against Pittsburgh.  Whatever the case, big game for Boston to reclaim home ice.

If Julien had major guts, he'd immediately demote Krejci, Lucic and Horton from the #1 PP unit.  They look clueless right now.  If nothing else, their ineptitude is giving Tampa's penalty killing unit enough confidence and momentum that by the time anyone else steps on the ice, the power play is effectively over.  You can throw Kaberle into that mix as well.

Personally, I'd put Seguin and Ryder on the #1 unit with Bergeron and replace Kaberle with Ference.  Bergeron is the best face off man Boston has which gives them a good chance at early possession.  Right now Seguin and Ryder are playing head and shoulders better than any other Boston forwards (from a scoring perspective).  Tampa hasn't shown an ability to keep up with Seguin's speed, and right now Seguin and Ryder are simply feeling it.  Ference's goal was another perfect example.  Seguin outhustled a Tampa player to the puck, got it back behind the net.  Kelly did a little bumping with another Tampa player before Ryder came around, took the puck and fed it back to Ference who scored.  If you watch the replay, you will see that both Seguin and Ryder were headed to the net as the puck trickled through Roloson, and either would have been in excellent position had Roloson made the save, but allowed a rebound rather than the shot trickling through.

Then, after Seguin and Ryder had wore out the #1 PK unit, Boston can run Krejci, Lucic and Horton at the #2 unit

It'll never happen, because if Julien made that change and the team lost, he'd probably be blamed.  My guess is so long as the team is winning, they won't change much.  But that's what I'd do.

5/20/2011 9:48 am  #19

FWIW, I'm really looking forward to Game 3 of Vancouver/San Jose tonight.  SJ suffered a major brain cramp in the 3rd period Wednesday night and completely lost their composure.  I'm curious to see how they play tonight, and whether or not Thornton, Marleau and Heatley can get it going.  I didn't see all of the game the other night because of Bob's ball game, but in the 3rd period, the Sedins looked dominant.  Their puck handling was almost Globetrotter-esque.

Coming into this series, I expected San Jose to win because I thought they looked pretty good in the Detroit series and hadn't been impressed with Vancouver throughout the playoffs.  I'm still not all that confident that Luongo is a Stanley Cup caliber goalie, but San Jose better bring their "A" game tonight because this one is must win.

5/20/2011 10:11 am  #20

Fors, I've been completely wrong about the Vancouver (and the playoffs in general) though it looked for a while as if they were going to pull the annual implosion in round 1. Since they won that series, they are playing great.

Hopefully they keep rolling.

5/20/2011 11:11 am  #21

Lucic has been kind of disappointing. There's a lot of interest in him here because people want him to be the second coming of Cam Neely, but he's just not that good.

5/20/2011 10:24 pm  #22

What a stupid penalty by McGinn.

5/20/2011 10:33 pm  #23

How big is that fourth goal now?

5/20/2011 10:46 pm  #24

Chippy game. The team that csn control its emotions best should win Game 4.

5/21/2011 3:35 pm  #25

Blowing a 3-goal lead when you have a chance to go up 3-1 in the series is a bad omen.

Board footera