You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/21/2011 5:28 pm  #26

Re: Final Four

Yeah. I didn't see it since I was at Bob's track meet, but based on the highlight the Bruins, and Thomas in particular, didn't look very good.

I'm guessing the Bruins fans will be a bit tense Monday night.

5/21/2011 7:02 pm  #27

forsberg_us wrote:

Yeah. I didn't see it since I was at Bob's track meet, but based on the highlight the Bruins, and Thomas in particular, didn't look very good.

I'm guessing the Bruins fans will be a bit tense Monday night.

Tense? Remember, most Bruins fans are also Red Sox fans.

5/21/2011 8:43 pm  #28

So they're already waiting for Opening Night for the Celtics?

5/21/2011 11:31 pm  #29

forsberg_us wrote:

So they're already waiting for Opening Night for the Celtics?

I don't know what all these guys who like to keep track of Tom Brady's hairstyle are going to do if there's no NFL season. I'll guess they'll have to wait for the Jonas Brothers to come to town.

5/22/2011 7:33 pm  #30

Today's Van/SJ was about as strange a game as I've seen. SJ had 5 straight power plays to start the game and went 0 for 5. Vancouver got their first, which quickly became a 2 man advantage. Van scored quickly, then SJ got got for Too Many Men while shorthanded. Van scored again on the 2 man, and the SJ, while still shorthanded, got a delay of game for clearing the puck over the glass. Sure enough, Van scored on the 2 man advantage again, and it was effectively over.

I've never seen that many 5-3 power plays, but the refs didn't have a choice on any of the calls. Very bizarre

5/22/2011 9:24 pm  #31

forsberg_us wrote:

Today's Van/SJ was about as strange a game as I've seen. SJ had 5 straight power plays to start the game and went 0 for 5. Vancouver got their first, which quickly became a 2 man advantage. Van scored quickly, then SJ got got for Too Many Men while shorthanded. Van scored again on the 2 man, and the SJ, while still shorthanded, got a delay of game for clearing the puck over the glass. Sure enough, Van scored on the 2 man advantage again, and it was effectively over.

I've never seen that many 5-3 power plays, but the refs didn't have a choice on any of the calls. Very bizarre

I only saw highlights. I guess three 5-on-3 goals in the same game is a playoff record, as it probably ought to be.
No idea how you get tagged for Too Many Men when you're already shorthanded. I know hockey players have a reputation for lacking intelligence, but you'd think they could all count to four.

5/23/2011 10:42 pm  #32

The Bruins are one win away. What's the sentiment--this is their year or I can't believe their going to blow Game 7 at home?

5/23/2011 11:39 pm  #33

forsberg_us wrote:

The Bruins are one win away. What's the sentiment?

Remarkably low key. Even the hardcore types are being cautious. I think last year's playoff ouster left a lot of scars.

5/24/2011 10:40 pm  #34

I have a feeling that goal at the end of regulation may lead to the Sharks' doom.

5/24/2011 10:44 pm  #35

I had stopped watching. I saw the icing that brought the puck back in the zone, but figured San Jose had it wrapped up.

5/24/2011 11:20 pm  #36

Great. Double OT in Vancouver. The Cards tied in the 9th. Good thing I don't need sleep.

Never mind, here come Batista and Greene. That game will be over soon.

5/24/2011 11:21 pm  #37

Sharks played well in the parts I saw of the first OT. Typical overtime playoff hockey. You can lop off someone's arm with a machete, and it's not even a 2-minute minor.

5/24/2011 11:30 pm  #38

I think the Sharks have outshot Vancouver 85 - 23. Luongo hasn't been good all that often this post-season, but he's the only they're in this game.

Well that and Kesler's goal with 14 seconds left in regulation.

5/24/2011 11:54 pm  #39

What a bizarre way for a game/series to end.

I'm glad it didn't hit the net. It's bad enough to lose on a fluke goal, it would have really sucked if it shouldn't have counted.

5/25/2011 9:32 am  #40

forsberg_us wrote:

What a bizarre way for a game/series to end.

I'm glad it didn't hit the net. It's bad enough to lose on a fluke goal, it would have really sucked if it shouldn't have counted.

I missed the goal. I saw one replay, but it wasn't a very good angle, and then they showed the handshake line, so I flipped back to the baseball game. I think the camera guys were just as surprised as everyone on the ice but Bieksa.

5/25/2011 9:55 am  #41

There are a couple of decent angles that show the bounce off the glass pretty clearly.  There were maybe 3 people in the building who knew where the puck went--Bieksa, Patrick Marleau (who was trying to get to Bieksa) and one other Shark who was near the blue line.  Everyone else on the ice was looking toward the corner or behind the net trying to figure out where it went.

Because I switched back to the Cardinal game, I missed the controversy about the icing call that preceded the tying goal.  In super slow-mo, it looks like the officials blew that call, but that had to be almost impossible to detect at live speed.

5/25/2011 12:14 pm  #42

"I missed the controversy about the icing call that preceded the tying goal.  In super slow-mo, it looks like the officials blew that call, but that had to be almost impossible to detect at live speed."

I was watching the baseball game at that point, too. Then I switched to the hockey game just in time to see the faceoff.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (5/25/2011 12:15 pm)

5/25/2011 12:18 pm  #43

There's already been some discussion on talk radio this morning about how getting to the Finals would be an achievement for the Bruins. There aren't too many folks who think they can actually beat the Canucks. I don't think there would have been too many people who thought they could beat the Sharks, either. Red Wings, too.

5/25/2011 8:00 pm  #44

Did Doc say "shotlessness?" I don't think that's a real word.

5/25/2011 8:27 pm  #45

Why do fans bang on the glass? Do they think it distracts the players?

5/25/2011 9:48 pm  #46

Haven't seen much of tonight's game. Ashamed to say our house was focused on the American Idol finale.   

Best answer I can give for glass banging is that those seats are filled by pretentious dicks. Real fans know you have to sit a little higher to see what's going on.

5/26/2011 9:33 am  #47

"Ashamed to say our house was focused on the American Idol finale."

So you're telling me I missed an entire season of that show without even being aware the season had started in the first place?
Even I'm impressed by my own awesomeness.

5/27/2011 9:23 pm  #48

This may sound weird because no one has scored yet, but this has been a great hockey game.
Roloson has been playing out of his mind.

5/27/2011 9:50 pm  #49

Wow. That was fun.

5/27/2011 11:00 pm  #50

I'm drinking heavily. Wife let me out of the house. Gonna be an ugly Saturday. I'll have to send the rest by email.

Board footera