You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/29/2011 4:20 pm  #1

Stanley Cup Finals

Figured it was time for a new thread. How's the mood in Boston?

5/29/2011 5:27 pm  #2

Re: Stanley Cup Finals

It's still pretty low-key, though I saw a guy wearing a Brad Marchand t-shirt today.

5/31/2011 4:42 pm  #3

The bandwagon is starting to fill up, Fors. The Boston Globe figured out today there's still a hockey team in town. The photos of Tom Brady's latest hairstyle got bumped inside the Sports section.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (5/31/2011 4:43 pm)

5/31/2011 5:33 pm  #4

I have a 9 point lead for our fantasy league's playoff money.  It's strictly points (no +/-, PM, or extra points for PP or SH points).

My lineup

D. Sedin, Kesler, Raymond, Ryder, Seguin, Bieksa, Salo, Ference, McQauid, Luongo

The other guy's lineup

Lucic, Krejci, Bergeron, Marchand, Burrows, Seidenberg, Boychuck, Thomas

5/31/2011 5:43 pm  #5

How does the goalie get points?

5/31/2011 5:50 pm  #6

artie_fufkin wrote:

2 points for a win.  During the regular season, 1 point for a tie (we don't count shootouts)

Goalies are the exception.  They also get 2 extra points for a shutout and an extra point for a 1 goal game.

5/31/2011 8:47 pm  #7

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

2 points for a win.  During the regular season, 1 point for a tie (we don't count shootouts)

Goalies are the exception.  They also get 2 extra points for a shutout and an extra point for a 1 goal game.

I'd say you're mostly rooting for the 'Nucks, then. Their guys on you team are more capable of putting the biscuit in the basket (hockey term) and vice-versa.

5/31/2011 8:54 pm  #8

Unrelated question: Has a city ever had two teams re-locate from the same league?

6/01/2011 9:13 am  #9

The band wagon is officially full, Fors. The lady who works the counter at the convenience store where I get my morning caffeine fix was wearing a black-and-gold "Hub of Hockey" t-shirt this morning.

6/01/2011 12:31 pm  #10

artie_fufkin wrote:

Unrelated question: Has a city ever had two teams re-locate from the same league?

Looking it up.

MLB -
Milwaukee is on team number 3 it would appear. In 1902 to Milwaukee Brewers moved to St. Louis, becoming the St. Louis Browns. In 1966 the Milwaukee Braves moved to Atlanta.

Technically Washington is on it's 3rd Senators team. In 1961 the Senators moved to Minnesota, becoming the Twins, but Washington was given a new franchise, also called the Senators, who left in 1972 to become the Texas Rangers.

NFL -
Cleveland on team number three after the 1946 Cleveland Rams went to LA, and the 1996 Browns went to Baltimore.
Los Angeles has lost three clubs: the Chargers (1961), the Rams 1995, and the Raiders 1995.

NBA
San Diego looks to be the only club in this list losing the Rockets in 1971, then the Clippers in 1984.

NHL
Quebec lost the Bulldogs in 1920 and the Nordiques in 1995.
Atlanta will become the second, losing the Flames in 1980 and the Thrashers in 2012.

6/01/2011 12:49 pm  #11

Good research. I suppose, tehcnically, you could say Boston lost two NFL franchises when the Redskins left for Warshington and the Patriots left Boston proper to go play on a farm.

6/01/2011 8:45 pm  #12

Henrik Sedin is a sissy.

6/01/2011 9:46 pm  #13

Wow. Goal post saves Boston's bacon.

Make that crossbar.

Last edited by forsberg_us (6/01/2011 9:47 pm)

6/01/2011 9:52 pm  #14

This strikes me as exactly the type of game the Bruins need to play.

6/01/2011 9:55 pm  #15

Aw crap ...

6/01/2011 9:55 pm  #16

Ryan Kesler is god.

6/01/2011 10:02 pm  #17

Pierre Maguire is a master interviewer

Pierre: "Were you onside on the goal?"

It's too bad Kesler can't answer, "Of course not. You saw it you idiot. The ref blew the call"

Last edited by forsberg_us (6/01/2011 10:04 pm)

6/01/2011 11:21 pm  #18

Was he offside? Oh god no. The Chowds are going to be whining about that for 20 years.

6/01/2011 11:43 pm  #19

It was really close. I think his drag foot was even with the line, but there wasn't a conclusive angle that showed whether that foot was on the ice. If not, it should have been offside. The linesman was right there and immediately waved off the offside and he had a much better angle than any of the cameras.

6/02/2011 3:12 pm  #20

There hasn't been a lot of "We wuz robbed!" chatter today. And these are people who still grouse over the roughing the passer call on Ray Hamilton in the 1976 NFL playoffs, usually in the same conversation when they tell me to "get over" the Tuck Rule.

6/02/2011 3:45 pm  #21

Offsides call. The ESPN sportscenter show today showed a conclusive angle.

Puck just about to clear line, toe clearly behind it. Freeze. Move forward, puck clears line, toe still behind it. It was onsides. I think the ref got it right more by sheer luck than actual skill, but it was a good no-call.

6/02/2011 3:47 pm  #22

artie_fufkin wrote:

There hasn't been a lot of "We wuz robbed!" chatter today. And these are people who still grouse over the roughing the passer call on Ray Hamilton in the 1976 NFL playoffs, usually in the same conversation when they tell me to "get over" the Tuck Rule.

I'm pretty sure the 1999 Buffalo Sabres are still skulking in the locker room over Brett Hull's "Peanut Butter Jelly Time" dance in the crease. When they get out though, they'll have a thing or two to tell you about learning to live with bad calls.

Sincerely,

1985 Cardinal Fans.

6/02/2011 5:01 pm  #23

The Brett Hull Cup winning goal was especially bad because of the number of goals that had been waved off during the season because someone had a toe in the crease.  The NHL was too chickenshit to make the teams resume that game.  That they changed the rule the following year was further evidence of just how badly the NHL screwed the pooch on that one.

6/02/2011 6:17 pm  #24

"Sincerely,

1985 Cardinal Fans."

Good point. We haven't let that one go very well, have we?

6/03/2011 7:42 am  #25

Fors,

I completely agree with you. They had a very clear (albeit terrible) crease policy in place. If you're in the crease, it's not a goal. You could be shooting from the far left boards and have someone with a quarter inch of toe blade in the crease on the right not affecting anything. No goal. I swear I think they waived off a couple of goals because the centerman was staring at the crease too hard. I watched the Blues games religiously and a lot of the deep playoffs, and don't remember any exception being made to this rule.

Not until triple OT of game 6 of the finals, and I thought that was a piss poor time to let people understand there was a controlled entry clause of the stupid rule.

Board footera