You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/14/2011 10:52 am  #51

Re: Stanley Cup Finals

From the Boston Globe:

Vancouver coach Alain Vigneault said he is not worried.
“I don’t have to say anything to (Luongo),’’ Vigneault said. “He’s a professional. His preparation is beyond reproach and he’s going to be ready for Game 7.’’

6/14/2011 1:30 pm  #52

It's the only call he can make.  If Vancouver is going to lose this series, it has to be with their Vezina finalist goalie between the pipes.

6/15/2011 8:32 am  #53

We got a notice that my son's school is having a "Bruins' Rally" after lunch today, and the students were instructed to wear their Bruins attire. My son doesn't have any Bruins attire. As much as he follows hockey, which isn't much, he's a Sid the Kid kid.
They've had days for the Celtics, days for the Red Sox, and worst of all days for the Patriots, during which the asst. prinicipal told the kids to make Tom Brady their role model. That would be the same Tom Brady who knocked up his girlfriend and then dumped her for another woman.
In the larger picture, it would be fine with me if the school system managed to find a little time to teach in between all these special events. It seems like if someone has a successful bowel movement in that school, they call an assembly to celebrate it.

6/15/2011 8:54 am  #54

Hoping Boston wins. It's rough to come into game 6 outscoring your opponent in a series 19-8 and having to look at a 3-3 tie. Good series, regardless.

6/15/2011 9:21 am  #55

alz wrote:

Hoping Boston wins. It's rough to come into game 6 outscoring your opponent in a series 19-8 and having to look at a 3-3 tie. Good series, regardless.

The fashion in the last 24 hours is a comparison of this series to the 1960 World Series, in that every game one team wins is close, and every game the other team wins is a blowout. There's not the component of every game being won by the home team, however, since the Yankees won Games 2 and 6 at Forbes Field.

Game 1 - Pirates 6, Yankees 4
Game 2 - Yankees 16, Pirates 3
Game 3 - Yankees 10, Pirates 0
Game 4 - Pirates 3, Yankees 2
Game 5 - Pirates 5, Yankees 2
Game 6 - Yankees 12, Pirates 0
Game 7 - Pirates 10, Yankees 9

6/15/2011 11:08 am  #56

I wouldn't think the people in Boston would want to make that comparison since the Pirates managed to survive the beating they took in Game 6.

Last edited by forsberg_us (6/15/2011 11:08 am)

6/15/2011 12:58 pm  #57

forsberg_us wrote:

I wouldn't think the people in Boston would want to make that comparison since the Pirates managed to survive the beating they took in Game 6.

The simplest explanation I can give you is we're morons.

6/15/2011 8:01 pm  #58

Julien gave the fourth line a regular turn in the first period. Hope that pays off later in the game.

6/15/2011 8:54 pm  #59

Brace yourself ...

6/15/2011 10:39 pm  #60

Best moment from the post-game yahoos on the local news.
"Looks like an orderly crowd in Vancouver ..." as there's smoke coming from a burning car in the background.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (6/15/2011 10:40 pm)

6/15/2011 10:51 pm  #61

Better team won. I suspect if I didn't have the financial aspect, I would have been rooting for Boston. I always liked Mark Recchi.

I think if you go back a couple of rounds worth of posts, I said the Canucks couldn't win with the Sedins. What a couple of pussies. As much heat as Luongo will take for this, the Sedins deserve as much, if not more. Luongo at least showed up for a couple of games in the series.

6/16/2011 8:34 am  #62

forsberg_us wrote:

Better team won. I suspect if I didn't have the financial aspect, I would have been rooting for Boston. I always liked Mark Recchi.

I think if you go back a couple of rounds worth of posts, I said the Canucks couldn't win with the Sedins. What a couple of pussies. As much heat as Luongo will take for this, the Sedins deserve as much, if not more. Luongo at least showed up for a couple of games in the series.

The faceoff work was pretty shitty, one of the Sedin's let Marchand (spelling) go off the faceoff, where he took it off the draw, went to the boards, did a mexican hat dance (seriously, even had a mariachi band playing 'La Bamba') before centering an assist on the opening goal. There were a lot of hockey fundamentals that the Canucks were either too tired, or too pro to bother themselves with. They made up for this with a lack of legs/hustle/grit/drive/determination/inspiration/win. Seriously, use whatever cliche word you want, the Canucks were beaten in every aspect of that hockey game.

They looked completely and utterly overmatched last night. I thought Luongo was kind of hung out to dry with the short handed goal. Seems unfair for a goalie to make a save, but give up a goal because the shooter bowls him out of the net due to a check. There's no fair justice for that situation but allowing the goal seemed wrong to me. Like I said though, you can't disallow it because the guy got checked as he's making the initial shot.... I think a penalty shot would have been a better outcome.

In either event, it seemed like short of maybe 3 pucks, Vancouver was beaten to everything that was there to be had. Boston ran the forecheck like a machine in the offensive zone, and Vancouver could barely get through center ice in the 3rd. In the unlikely event that they got through to shoot, it was usually a routine shot, or if it wasn't routine, Thomas was all over the place. Chara making that single save with his knee (not sure that puck is going in anyway, might have hit a post had it been left alone) was a huge swing. Even when they beat Thomas, they couldn't score. If all else failed, Vancouver would have pucks hopping over sticks to stifle them.

I think had each team scored on all of their "major chances" (a new stat were Alz decides that the offensive team should have scored a goal, and usually would if the situation were replicated), I had the game at 5-2.

6/16/2011 10:41 am  #63

What surprised me the most was the lack of exigency by the Canucks. I kind of kept waiting for the avalanche, but except for about a 2-minute stretch just after the midway point of the third period, the Canucks really never seemed to get going.
The Bruins probably had a lot to do with that, but I'm amazed at how the Canucks kind of seemed like they were playing a regular season game.

6/16/2011 10:44 am  #64

"As much heat as Luongo will take for this, the Sedins deserve as much, if not more."

The Sedins were both minus-4. In a game, at home, with the Stanley Cup on the line. Incredible.

6/16/2011 12:30 pm  #65

Artie, when I had season tickets to the Blues I noticed that sometimes, those guys would be a blur, skating all over the place, hitting, shooting, grinding, kick the other teams ass all over the ice, go in for intermission and come out like they'd never played hockey before in their lives. It really is a completely different game every period, and even every shift. That's what really made Boston's performance stand out so much. They won about 95% of the shifts, and about 95% of the loose pucks. I kept waiting for an odd man rush, a blistered one timer, some dazzling stick work with some blistering speed... It never came. Not only did it not come, but they made Mark Recchi (who is about 346 years old, remembered Gretzky and played WITH Lemieux) looking like Mario Andretti as he was blazing a water trail in the ice. This is the same 42 year old Mark Recchi who is retiring after a 22 year career in the NHL. I am coming up on 36 years old, I was 13-14 when this guy laced them up for the first time in the NHL. How on earth does this guy ever get free of a defense??

Exigency is a very good word for it. The Canucks had none. Playing at home for game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, and nothing.

6/16/2011 8:41 pm  #66

I obviously don't follow hockey as closely as you and Fors do, but I've been hearing about the difference between North Americans and Europeans since the Rangers signed those two Swedish players 30 years ago. I don't know whether the distinction is they're just softerr by nature or they just don't care about the Stanley Cup because they weren's raised with the same reverence for the NHL as North Americans, or something else.

6/16/2011 10:51 pm  #67

A major difference between the Europeans and North Americans is that they grow up playing on different sized rinks. Watch the major World Championships or the Olympics. Those tournaments are played on international sized rinks. As a result there's much more open space and much less contact. It's very much a finesse game.

In the Stanley Cup playoffs, particularly late in series when the refs tend to put their whistles in their pockets, you have to fight for every inch of ice. Goals tend to be ugly, grinding efforts, not tic-tac-toe passing things of beauty. A lot of Europeans either aren't comfortable enough or are unwilling to put forth the effort to do what it takes in the post-season.

6/17/2011 9:10 am  #68

forsberg_us wrote:

A major difference between the Europeans and North Americans is that they grow up playing on different sized rinks. Watch the major World Championships or the Olympics. Those tournaments are played on international sized rinks. As a result there's much more open space and much less contact. It's very much a finesse game.

In the Stanley Cup playoffs, particularly late in series when the refs tend to put their whistles in their pockets, you have to fight for every inch of ice. Goals tend to be ugly, grinding efforts, not tic-tac-toe passing things of beauty. A lot of Europeans either aren't comfortable enough or are unwilling to put forth the effort to do what it takes in the post-season.

This would fall under the realm of "something else," yes?

6/17/2011 10:16 am  #69

Does "Balls" constitute something else? If so, yes.

The American compressed rinks lead to a much more physical game in the playoffs. The wide-open Olympic brand of hockey is a lot less physical. If you want to contend for the Stanley Cup, you better be ready to take a beating, because it's coming. A lot of players do not do well in that shift of the game from the regular season where someone checking your superstar will result in a few fights. In the playoffs if you touch the puck, you're getting hit. That's just how the game is when it all matters.

6/17/2011 3:03 pm  #70

one of the finest articles ever written.

Last Eulogy article of the 2010-2011 NHL season, for Vancouver, by a Blackhawks fan.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Eulogy-Remembering-the-2010-11-Vancouver-Canuck;_ylt=Aj2yZZdefZYRHuHqtxffUKV7vLYF?urn=nhl-wp7462

6/20/2011 2:19 pm  #71

I officially reached the point of celebratory saturation during lunch. The local all-news station cut into its programming to show a live shot of Tim Thomas getting his beard trimmed.
The parade on Saturday had some moments of hysteria, notably when one of the news bunnies tried to pronounce "Shane Hnidy" without spraining her tongue. Then they showed a shot of Cam Neely on one of the duckboats and she asked "Is that Tom Thomas?"
And I have yet to figure out how a group of Canadians and Europeans winning the Stanley Cup emboldens a bunch of full-grown midgets named Shawn, Shaun and Sean to flex their beer muscles and declare Boston the sports capital of modern civilization.

Board footera