You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/30/2011 8:09 am  #1

Yesterday, when I was young

There are so many songs for me that won't be sung . . .

So the truth of the matter is that six days ago I heard the final decision on a job application that had been in the works since middle November. 

It seems that out of blue, and at this stage in my career, I was suddenly short-listed for a tenure-track job at Top 20 in the world university--pretty stunning since just about every podunk school west of East Pottawattamie State has rejected me.  It happens that the senior superstar in the department is one of my closest colleagues and mentors, which doesn't hurt in the search process, but even better, in the snake pit world of academia it can be crucial to have a senior colleague to act as mentor and guardian (experience from Singapore weighs heavily here).  So, as near as I can work it out, it came down to two people and I was one of the two, and the decision wasn't an easy one.  It appears they took six weeks to reach a decision, even after it was all boiled down to the two of us.  The university sits in a beautiful small city with mild weather, lots of nature, bike trails everywhere--the biking capitol world, as it is billed.  The salary was out of this world, right up around 100k/year.  Now, for a guy who has been partially employed for nearly three years, with a wife and two kids to support, this was an amazing turn of events to have this nearly within reach.  But the punchline is that I didn't get it.

Lots of mixed emotions, of course.  Great to receive the validation, shitty to know I was so close without getting it.  Can't talk about this kind of thing with work friends.  Maybe my baseball friends will understand.

5/30/2011 8:59 am  #2

Re: Yesterday, when I was young

I cant think of anything inspirational to say but I am sorry for your disappointment.

5/30/2011 2:28 pm  #3

It's their loss, Max. Stay optimistic. There's something out there for a person of your intelligence and character.

5/30/2011 8:08 pm  #4

Thanks, guys.  The validation that I am still relevant enough to be seriously considered for that job was nice.  The fact that I am still struggling after all these years makes me feel a bit like the Blutarsky of advanced education.

6/01/2011 10:30 am  #5

Aww Max, man that sucks. My mother in law works out at Cal Poly Tech and is trying to move into another position due to budget cuts hitting her adversly. She wasn't let go, just asked to take a 60% pay cut....

She's had some fantastic interviews for very exclusive positions, and had a series of devastating "no's" hit her too.

Something will come for you man, keep your head up.

6/01/2011 7:52 pm  #6

Thanks, Alz.  It's particularly challenging not to lose one's mind given the economic conditions developing in USA.  This is a horrible time to be approaching 50 and to not have secure employment.  American academia is a complete mess, too, as your MiL has discovered. 

I'll keep plugging away, because there is nothing else to do, but in 2008 when I came back from Asia, the economic problems resulted in about half of the job searches being cancelled outright.  I worry that will happen again in this coming job season (begins in September and lasts through maybe March or April), as we seem to be heading for a calamitous double dip recession.  I should have decent money coming in through March (as long as nemesis doesn't screw up more than she has already), but after that it's back to the same-old same-old, with no qualifications for unemployment insurance or anything, as far as I know, anyway.  Yikes.  That job would have been really nice!

Board footera