You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/05/2011 7:31 am  #1

Favorite John Cusack movies

OK.  So I did NOT learn of this song through the movie Twilight, and my y-chromosome is screaming at me to make that point particularly clear.  I heard this song this morning and only later discovered that it is in THAT movie.  I suspect Artie--he who finds John Cusack movies and "Friends" to be too challenging to his masculine need to hear Kiss and Rush--might find this tune a bit girlie,but I have been listening to it nonstop all day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FddRcJwlT4

6/05/2011 11:00 am  #2

Re: Favorite John Cusack movies

I listended for 19 seconds. Any longer, and I probably would have had to sign up for one of those anti-gay seminars.

6/06/2011 12:22 am  #3

It reminded me of the music of Elliott Smith, a graduate of Hampshire College, whom you might also find to be challenging to your masculinity.  Definitely not gay--that's music like Pet Shop Boys.  But you need to be comfortable getting in touch with your sensitive side for this music.

6/06/2011 7:24 am  #4

As long as I have this img thing working, here is one of my favorite album covers of all time (i enjoy self-depractive humor):

and a tune from that album that might make you want to run to get a quick shot of testosterone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj9qpBVphwc

6/06/2011 12:49 pm  #5

Not even clicking the link. There's already been too much exposure to gayness on this thread.

7/17/2011 11:30 am  #6

Max wrote:

It reminded me of the music of Elliott Smith, a graduate of Hampshire College, whom you might also find to be challenging to your masculinity.  Definitely not gay--that's music like Pet Shop Boys.  But you need to be comfortable getting in touch with your sensitive side for this music.

Iron & Wine (a.k.a. Sam Beam) is one of those acts I want to like more than I actually do.  His earlier stuff had really sparse and mystical arrangements and the way he sang in a whisper made it more intriguing.  To this point, though, his lyrics are too obscure for me to get into.  I can be slow on the musical uptake, so if it's really good, I might get it in a few years or decades.

7/17/2011 11:56 am  #7

I don't know the specifics of the artist, and off the bat I don't like a solo artist going by any name that sounds like a band, let alone "Iron & Wine".  So i would say that I like the act more than I want to.  Because I kind of want to dislike this guy.  There is a live version of him playing 'flightless bird' solo, and as he introduces the song, he says something to the effect of "this is a new song called 'flightless bird, american mouth'.  let's see if you all can figure that one out."  so, i sort of have a knee jerk reaction against writing obtuse, crossword puzzle like lyrics, and then challenging fans to find the hidden meaning.

7/17/2011 12:20 pm  #8

There you go.  Pretty well sums it up.

Board footera